Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No Longer able to "Show their Horns" - Rule Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31-1 Confused

I'm guessing the 1 was Wilf and all the other owners are just mad they don't have Adrian Peterson. Cool

Good Luck Chris Cook.
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Brown had no problem with the rule, and he's one of the toughest runners in NFL history. You lead with your shoulders and pads, not your head. At least not if you wanna be around long.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be intersting to see how the officials enforce it...
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
Jim Brown had no problem with the rule, and he's one of the toughest runners in NFL history. You lead with your shoulders and pads, not your head. At least not if you wanna be around long.

This is true. For some reason, I'm picturing Peterson getting his head so low that he even leads with his upper back at times.

While I still hate this rule, I think great backs like Adrian will be fine with the change. Leading with the shoulder is not extremely different from the head, it's a slight change in body position and the great backs will find a way to change that.

I don't know about you, but I still wouldn't want to take on AD regardless of if he's allowed to lead with his head or not..
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:

Needless to say, there will be a number of "questionable" calls. I'm sure we will have at least a couple go against our way in the coming year.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:

How do you lower your shoulders w/o lowering your head? I do yoga, and have seen some really amazing tricks, but I'm not sure how you do this.....and if you do lower your head, and a DB runs into it, whos fault is that?

We see shoulder/clean hits from DBs called blows to the head all the time, because it happens so fast....this will be the same thing.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:

Agreed. Defense are being told not to lead with their head and now offense is being told the same thing.
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:

Exactly.

As someone who has spent the last 18 years in a wheelchair. I understand the need to protect a player from head and neck injuries.

The problem is, according to the NFL, this would have been called a measly 35 times last season. It isn't going to stop players from lowering their head. It certainly isn't going to protect them from getting hurt.

All this does is put more power into the refs hands and that does nothing but hurt the sport. I bet it manages to be called more than 35 times next season by the officials.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:

How do you lower your shoulders w/o lowering your head? I do yoga, and have seen some really amazing tricks, but I'm not sure how you do this.....and if you do lower your head, and a DB runs into it, whos fault is that?

We see shoulder/clean hits from DBs called blows to the head all the time, because it happens so fast....this will be the same thing.

You're right, there will be some horrible calls. We've seen this with DB's. However, the leading with your shoulders and pads is the same as a defensive player is supposed to tackle with their shoulders and pads. Defensive players are taught (or are supposed to be taught) to tackle with their shoulders. This involves proper head placement to upfield side of the offensive player. This will most likely have to what offensive players will have to do, it might just be a head re-positioning.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can lower your shoulder and keep your head up. Same way as a form tackle. Load behind the lead shoulder, and not the crown of your helmet.

I played RB, WR, and FS and have never had to lead with the crown on my helmet. Obviously not in the NFL, but I played D2 ball.

There is no reason for your face mask to be parallel to the ground unless you've already been tackled.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety aside, I will agree that this is far too subjective and puts too much power in the refs hands.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
You can lower your shoulder and keep your head up. Same way as a form tackle. Load behind the lead shoulder, and not the crown of your helmet.

I played RB, WR, and FS and have never had to lead with the crown on my helmet. Obviously not in the NFL, but I played D2 ball.

There is no reason for your face mask to be parallel to the ground unless you've already been tackled.

How is a face to face hit better for a neck than a crown to crown hit? I am asking out of ignorance here......
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No spine compression in a face to face hit.

The SCM muscles and trapezius are able to stabilize the neck in a face first collision.

There is also no immediate impact on the crown of the skull, facemasks are designed to disperse impact force to aid in concussion prevention.
vikings209

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understand it is the RB can't "spear" the defender just like the defender can't "spear" the runner. It makes sense to have it. Think about it if the defender gets flagged for it so should the runner. I do agree about the chop blocks that's what tore my knee up. That rule needs to be changed too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that it will be called when the RB seeks out the contact in the open field and they didn't have to. I actually think this would affect Adrian near the sidelines more than anything.

I think this is an example of the type of play they want to eliminate. He didnt lead with his head here, but that's the type of situation they are looking at IMO: http://youtu.be/Bqs24InfI7g

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: