Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No Longer able to "Show their Horns" - Rule Change
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: No Longer able to "Show their Horns" - Rule Change Reply with quote

Quote:
The NFL passed two major rules changes Wednesday during the NFL Annual Meetings in Phoenix that will take effect this upcoming season...The first rule would penalize a player who makes or initiates contact with the crown of his helmet outside of the tackle box..... The rule has been criticized by many running backs, including Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte and Hall of Famers Emmitt Smith and Marshall Faulk. The measure passed by a vote of 31-1.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/03/20/nfl-passes-crown-of-helmet-rule-abolishes-tuck-rule/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

What will be the negative effects on our team in particular with regards to AD no longer being able to duck his head?
marshpit23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this rule change proposal earlier this week. I didn't think it would pass...I was wrong; 31-1 Shocked

I'm all in favor for a safer NFL. I don't agree with penalizing a RB for lowering his head, an instinctual reaction for a lot of RB's, in an attempt to deliver a blow and/or simply (instinctively) protecting himself. This has most likely been a life-long habit for RB's like Adrian Peterson. It's going to be a hard habit to break.

Instead of getting any easier
It's the hardest thing to take
I'm addicted to you
You're a hard habit to break
-Chicago

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were only a handful of plays in the entire season, across all teams, last year that would have been affected by this rule.

Not a big deal IMO.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought this was going to completely kill off power running and goal line running, but really all it is taking away ONLY the crown of the helmet. This shouldn't effect too much, but its a step closer to making the game more safe.

Peterson could still duck his head and lead with his helmet, just not with the crown of it.

Take this play for instance against the Steelers in 09:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZx7Y6LyxR4

That should still might be a legal play. Peterson did duck his head, but in doing so he lead with his shoulder and helmet, but not the crown of it.

perhaps it all might come down to the ref who's calling the game though...

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the tackle box and 3 yards down field according to Pelissero.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster child for this rule is Trent Richardson. I'm on my phone otherwise I would try to post the video of him v Kurt Coleman of the Eagles.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial reaction is that I don't care for the rule.

However, I think we need to see how it is officiated before declaring it a success or failure.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Peterson - Gay truck would probably be flagged under this new rule. I just don't like the rule. Then again, I don't really like some of the defensive calls either. I guess it's fair towards the defense in that respect.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Atrocious tackling form.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fair towards the defense and also protects the running back. You can visibly see the neck compression on that hit.

Probably the most famous example of this type of hit in the Earl Campbell truck and look at what those repeated shots have done to him.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a RB should just stand up and run tall and be knocked over? This is such a judgement call......

this passes, but chop blocks behind the line are ok still? Diving at defenders knees is ok still? Unreal.
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
That Peterson - Gay truck would probably be flagged under this new rule. I just don't like the rule. Then again, I don't really like some of the defensive calls either. I guess it's fair towards the defense in that respect.

That is my fear as well. That play was an incredible play, great timing for that play in that game too, but I fear it would have been flagged, even though when slowed down, it was a legal play.

Does anyone think that with this rule, should come the ability to review a call on a play like this. For example, with Gay being trucked like this, it would have probably been flagged, but a review would show it was legal, and therefore the flag could be waved. We kind of see this in the NBA already with flagrants and technicals being changed, removed, added, etc.
this providence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, Peterson would have been flagged for the Sherman hit. Go through any highlight package last year and you'll see several other questionable ones as well. Given the state of NFL officiating; questionable, the effect of this penalty, and the violence AD runs with all adds up to a pretty poor formula.

All in all, this rule takes away a lot of the fear AD bearing down on someone creates. And further emphasizes the league moving to more pure passing focus. Which is bad news for a team currently not set up to excel in that area.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
So a RB should just stand up and run tall and be knocked over? This is such a judgement call......

this passes, but chop blocks behind the line are ok still? Diving at defenders knees is ok still? Unreal.

Your right.. This is a joke. If you ever played RB, you would understand that this probably has happened to all of them at some point in there career.. ( if not even 2 or 3 times a year )

Richardson did lead with his crown, but he was just trying to get 2 or 3 more yards.. He couldn't go left and he couldn't go right.. So you go strait ahead and make a hole!!!!

Probably wouldn't look so bad if the DB had just a slight clue on how to tackle...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: