Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Future of Cold Weather Super Bowls: Pittsburgh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Future of Cold Weather Super Bowls: Pittsburgh? Reply with quote

I didn't see a recent thread on this, though I'm sure the topic has previously been discussed.

Recently there was a report that if the upcoming(February 2, 2014) Super Bowl in Metlife Stadium was a success, that the Philadelphia Eagles Organization would push for hosting a Super Bowl in Lincoln Financial Field.

The current approximate seating capacity of Metlife Stadium is 82.5K
The current approximate seating capacity of Lincoln Financial Field is 68.5k

That's a big difference obviously, so I have a serious of questions. The first question is, do any of you believe that the upcoming(February 2, 2014) cold weather Super Bowl is going to be a success? Secondly, if it is, are any of you confident that Philadelphia could secure the rights to host a future Super Bowl given the 'drastic drop' in seating capacity that they have?

If you've said yes to both of the questions above, that brings me to the most important part of my questioning and the real point of this thread;

Heinz Field currently has a seating capacity of 65,050 and is in the process of adding another 3,000 seats. By "in the process" I mean, it's currently being held up by a legal financial dispute with the SEA. If these seats are successfully added and Philadelphia were to make a push and/or successful obtain rights to host a Super Bowl, do any of you believe that The Rooney Family would make their own push to host a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh?

The biggest arguments against the idea that I've heard are the seating capacity, consistent field condition, and the lack of lodging in the area. Honestly, I can't really imagine loding being an issue, there are so many hotels in and around Pittsburgh it's ridiculous. The seating capacity, I think, would be nullified if Philadelphia ever hosted a Super Bowl. I don't pretend to know the dynamics of what goes into securing a bid to host a Super Bowl, I'm sure there are a lot of factors, ones that I haven't even considered.

My last question and this might be the most important yet most hypothetical one: If we did ever host a Super Bowl, do any of you believe that we could be the first time to ever play a "home game" in the Super Bowl? Wink
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much any Superbowl will be a success. Wherever they have it, its going to get sold out, and be watched by tens of millions of people.

However, I dont think the cold weather SBs will stick around, or that a SB will come to Pittsburgh. If there is even one injury due to field conditions, or the field itself gets real bad, Goodell wont have it. He has spent his tenure making this league into an offensive dominant league. He isnt going to stand for poor offensive conditions caused by mid-winter weather.
C$!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what happens in New jersey this year. It its not too cold and snowing a little then I can see it. If its really cold or really bad weather, then I think they might never do it in a cold place outside again

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought having cold weather Super Bowls was a bad idea. BUT, If Goodell insists on spreading out the SB sites to cold weather cities, then why not Pittsburgh?? It would probably be after the 3000 seats are added to Heinz. The Dallas super bowl was a nightmare with the ice storms etc. Getting around there was terrible from what I heard. It will only take one really disatrous cold weather super bowl to end the charade.

And I do think the Steelers would be the first Super Bowl team with a home field advantage. Wink
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always felt it was unfair to have a SB in "good weather". I felt that the team with the best record should have the SB at their stadium. It would really make some GMs/owners strive for more greatness because of pressure to give their respective city a boost in economy.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JLambert58

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
I always felt it was unfair to have a SB in "good weather". I felt that the team with the best record should have the SB at their stadium. It would really make some GMs/owners strive for more greatness because of pressure to give their respective city a boost in economy.

That's actually a great idea. Keeping the same ticket distribution that they have now. Not an actual full-blown home field advantage. That would also make the regular season more meaningful. Of course, the NFL would never do it because they love having control over it and can use that as leverage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: