Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Illegal to lower crown of helmets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with the rule is that its going to be flagged often. Remember you cant review flags, so the officials are going to be wrong on occasions. Its a dumb rule and hate the way that the NFL is exaggerating but some people are going too far with their concerns.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:

Yes....similar, but different in terms of the RPS can only be used in criminal trials.

Huh?

RPS = Reasonable Person Standard...it's 2013....you have to be "PC"

FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
My problem with the rule is that its going to be flagged often. Remember you cant review flags, so the officials are going to be wrong on occasions. Its a dumb rule and hate the way that the NFL is exaggerating but some people are going too far with their concerns.

As I said earlier....what happens when the ball is inside the 5 ?? How are teams supposed to run it in ??

I really hope this is one of those rules they pass simply for the good publicity and isn't enforced all that much....unlike the defenseless receiver rule, helmet to helmet rule, or late hits on the quarterback...

samsel23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with it on paper.

My issue is it is going to be a judgement call on the officials. There will be a ton of blown calls on this and puts the officials in more of a spot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:

Sarcasm noted, but this is simply for those who are truly curious....

Take the "McDonalds Hot Coffee Idiot" for instance. The woman sues McDonalds because she put a HOT coffee between her legs, is subsequently spilled burning her......Common sense would tell us that HOT coffee is HOT and HOT liquids can burn human flesh...COMMON SENSE. You lose.

Same applies to football....you're aware of the risks, and choose to take those risks. It's common sense that injuries are going to occur in a high speed collision sport.

That is the Reasonable Person Standard. And you're arguing contributory negligence which was considered and ultimately comparative negligence was used.

Common sense would also tell us that keeping your coffee at dangerous temperatures in terms of heat to save money after numerous complaints and injuries suffered due to that temperature...you'd change the temperature you keep it at.

McDonalds did not and thus was found liable. I recommend looking into the facts of that case before citing it. It's an interesting case.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Last edited by jrry32 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Seriously: take away facemasks and none of these new rules will be necessary for offense or defense.

besides how the whole concept doesnt make one bit of sense.....lets say team is playing the vikings in the super bowl (hypothetical) peterson is just tearing it up. what stops a player from just smashing him the face with his helmet so he cant play anymore?

What stops that same player from stomping on his knee when he's down?

Well since that would be against the rules.

So would using his helmet to smash the face. I don't see a way to purposefully hit someone in the face with your helmet without leading with the crown, assuming neither have facemasks.

That's just the way I see it. Intentional dirty shots will always happen, I don't think removing the facemask would increase them very much, if at all.

Last edited by tylerdouglass on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

As I said earlier....what happens when the ball is inside the 5 ?? How are teams supposed to run it in ??

I really hope this is one of those rules they pass simply for the good publicity and isn't enforced all that much....unlike the defenseless receiver rule, helmet to helmet rule, or late hits on the quarterback...

The rule doesn't apply to running inside the tackle box.

FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:

Sarcasm noted, but this is simply for those who are truly curious....

Take the "McDonalds Hot Coffee Idiot" for instance. The woman sues McDonalds because she put a HOT coffee between her legs, is subsequently spilled burning her......Common sense would tell us that HOT coffee is HOT and HOT liquids can burn human flesh...COMMON SENSE. You lose.

Same applies to football....you're aware of the risks, and choose to take those risks. It's common sense that injuries are going to occur in a high speed collision sport.

That is the Reasonable Person Standard. And you're arguing contributory negligence which was considered and ultimately comparative negligence was used.

Common sense would also tell us that keeping your coffee at dangerous temperatures in terms of heat to save money after numerous complaints and injuries suffered due to that temperature...you'd change the temperature you keep it at.

McDonalds did not and thus was found liable. I recommend looking into the facts of that case before citing it. It's an interesting case.

Doesn't matter.....hot is hot. Period. Would you put a styrofoam cup of hot coffee between legs ?? COMMON SENSE

The justice system in this country has turned into a toy. Simply a means of income for people based solely on their own stupidity.

jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:

Doesn't matter.....hot is hot. Period. Would you put a styrofoam cup of hot coffee between legs ?? COMMON SENSE

The justice system in this country has turned into a toy. Simply a means of income for people based solely on their own stupidity.

Not really.

And no, hot isn't just hot.

There are plenty of defenses available as well as a set standard. There are plenty of limitations and checks on the system. In fact, if the case was as ridiculous as you claim, McDonalds could have just been granted summary judgement and had it thrown out of court.

The case had merits which is why it received the verdict it did.

Comparative negligence was used in that case and she was found partially at fault for putting hot coffee between her legs...which is why she didn't receive the full amount. I believe she was found 20% at fault...so she only received 80% of the amount the jury awarded her(although I believe they ended up settling during the Appeals process).

EDIT: Fixed the numbers

Last edited by jrry32 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:

Not really.

And no, hot isn't just hot.

There are plenty of defenses available as well as a set standard. There are plenty of limitations and checks on the system. In fact, if the case was as ridiculous as you claim, McDonalds could have just been granted summary judgement and had it thrown out of court.

The case had merits which is why it received the verdict it did.

Comparative negligence was used in that case and she was found partially at fault for putting hot coffee between her legs...which is why she didn't receive the full amount. I believe she was found 30% at fault...so she only received 70% of the amount the jury awarded her(although I believe they ended up settling during the Appeals process).

There's no point debating with someone who can't even read...have a good day Laughing

sunnygsm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........................ Just .... no words.

^Kempes
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:

There's no point debating with someone who can't even read...have a good day Laughing

What this says to me is that you realize that you're completely outclassed in this specific argument and rather than prattle on with ignorance and continue to be proven wrong...you'd rather concede.

I accept your concession.

Now...back to the rule...which I have no issue with.

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:

This is the second time in just about as many pages you've resorted to a jab at a poster rather than continuing good discussion. If you can't stay on topic and continue the type of discussion we're looking for maybe you should just avoid arguments altogether?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
I don't have a problem with it on paper.

My issue is it is going to be a judgement call on the officials. There will be a ton of blown calls on this and puts the officials in more of a spot.

Totally agree. How are they actually going to enforce this rule in the game? I don't see this ending well.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people still not understand the McDonald's coffee case? Laughing

Anyways, this is a fair rule change, have to protect all. No runner should try to use the crown anyways, that's bad news all around.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: