Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GANGGREEN1102's Mid FA Mock: Mock and Roll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade it
A
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
B
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
C
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
D
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

ganggreen1102

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: GANGGREEN1102's Mid FA Mock: Mock and Roll Reply with quote

Tebow is cut

Sign

Kevin Boothe OG

Michael Huff FS

Kevin Kolb QB

Kyle Moore OLB/DE

Darrelle Revis is extended for a 7 year contract. (Applies after 2013-14 season)

Draft:

Seeing that Cordarelle Patterson is available at pick 9 the Rams trade up to the Jets and give up 3rd, 5th and 6th round picks. (Rams have 16th pick)

1:(STL): Keenan Allen WR Cal

-True #1 WR
-Fantastic West Coast offense fit
-Has a combination of size, speed, quickness and physicality.
-Gets great yards after the catch

-I have been really starting to like Allen as our first round pick. I have watched film of him and looked at scouting reports of him and I can see him really improving our offense. We really lacked weapons last year. With Holmes coming back and Kerley and Hill improving we could have a solid WR core. Now throw in Allen as our #2 and we could have a top 10-15 WR core. Having all of these weapons could really help whoever our QB is now and who our QB is in the long run.

2:Jamie Collins OLB Southern Miss

-Excellent pass rusher
-Very explosive
-Great production
-Three down LB
-Early career as a DB helped him with his coverage and ability to become a three down player.
-Perfect fit in a 3-4 defense
-High IQ
-Great balance

-There has been a lot of buzz as of late about Jamie Collins. He had an excellent combine and his stock has been on the rise since. I've seen him mocked anywhere from mid to late 20s to early third round. So this seems like a reasonable range. He has the potential to be a very good starter in the NFL and he fits perfectly in our attacking 3-4 defense.

3: Gavin Escobar TE SDSU

-Excellent receiver
-Long arms
-Big hands
-High jumper
-Blocking is very good
-Makes tough catches
-Height and weight are both ideal
-Productive

-Like I said before, this draft needs to be one where we get lots of weapons on offense for our QB of the future. Escobar is an excellent recieving TE who should be a reliable target for our QB. He doesn't have great speed but he is known as more of a power TE like a Pettigrew more than a Keller or a Vernon Davis.

3:(STL): Phillip Thomas S Fresno State

-Great cover safety
-Big
-Fast
-Hard hitter
-Great tackler
-can play zone and man

-People complained about mcDonald being not a very good safety. So I changed it to the other safety Tim McDonald has experience with. McDonald coached Thomas at Fresno State and made him the good safety he is today and he continue to work with him in the NFL.

4: Trevardo Williams OLB Conneticut

-Pure pass rusher
-Very fast
-Very strong for someone his size
-Excellent pass rushing moves
-Piles up sacks
-Multi year producer

-We really need to stock up on pass rushers this offseason. I waited until the 4th to double dip because we have other needs to fill, plus this is a very deep OLB class. Teammate Sio Moore has been getting alot of attention lately but IMO Williams is the better player overall. Williams only played 9 games last year but tallied 12 sacks. He was also decent in run support and solid in coverage. However, pass rushing is his specialty.

5: Omeregie Uzzi OG Georgia Tech

-Played in run heavy offense
-Very athletic
-Played in a zone blocking scheme
-Good pulling guard

-The Jets want to run a power run zone blocking scheme on offense and Uzzi fits that perfectly. Colon and Boothe are past 30 next season and neither are stud players. Colon only has a one year deal and Uzzi could sit behind him for a year and develop and eventually he could start.

5: Michael Mauti ILB/OLB Penn State

-Solid run defender
-Great tackler
-Versitile
-Smart
-A leader

-Mauti was on his way to being a day two pick before he tore his ACL. Whether or not he ever gets back to full strength he can still be a producer. It's a low risk, high reward pick.

6: Miguel Maysonet RB Stony Brook

6: Caleb Sturgis K Florida

7: Jasper Collins WR Mount Union

UDFA

Mike James RB Miami
Michael Zordich FB Penn State
Anthony White NT Western Michigan
Ryan Griffin QB Tulane
AJ Francis DT Maryland
CJ Anderson RB Cal
Scott Vallone UT/DE Rutgers
CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa State
Larry Webster OLB Bloomsburg
Matt Brown RB Temple
Manese Foketi OT W. Texas A&M
Brandon Sharpe OLB Syracuse

Depth chart:
QB Kolb,Garrard,Sanchez,McElroy
HB Powell,Goodson,Maysonet,James
FB Zordich,Hilliard
WR Holmes,Collins
TE Escobar,Cumberland,Fiedorowicz
LT Brick,Young
LG Boothe,Ducasse
C Mangold
RG Colon,Uzzi
RT Howard,Foketi
WR Allen,Hill
Slot Kerley,Gates

DT Wilk,Francis
NT Ellis,Garay,White
DE Coples,Vallone
OLB Barnes,Williams,Sapp
ILB Harris,Mauga
ILB Davis,Mauti
OLB Collins,Moore,McIntyre
CB Revis,Cro,Wilson,Crocker,Trufant
FS Huff,(Whoever doesn't win SS job)
SS Thomas,Bush,Allen (competition)

K Sturgis,Folk
P Malone
LS Purdum
KR McKnight
PR Kerley

Practice Squad

Matt Brown RB
Ryan Griffin QB
CJ Anderson RB
Royce Adams DB
Larry Webster OLB
Brandon Sharpe OLB
Thomas Mayo WR
Joe Collins WR

Position preview:

Quarterback: Kolb and Garrard will be expected to battle for the starting job. I believe Kolb will win in only because he knows Morhinweg's offense. I think Garrard will be cut during preseason to give him an opportunity to start for another team. Plus, I can't imagine Rex having Sanchez 3rd on the depth chart. Speaking of Sanchez, this upcoming preseason will be his last chance to make a statement to be our starting QB. I think he will struggle as per usual. I think McElroy will be the true #2 because I think Rex has more faith in him than Sanchez.

Running backs: Right now it looks like Mike Goodson is the favorite to be the starting RB. However, I think Powell will continue to impress people and with an improved Oline have a breakout season. Goodson will be a solid backup to Powell. Rookies Miguel Maysonet, Mike James and veteran Joe McKnight will fight for the #3 spot.

Recievers: Holmes and Allen will be the outside receivers. Kerley will be the slot receiver. Considering that Kerley played great with a mediocre QB, Allen is very talented and Holmes made Sanchez look good at times too, this could be an outstanding group of wide receivers. Hill hopefully will have a better year as well with less drops. Gavin Escobar should be the starting TE come week one. Him and Cumberland will make a formidable group of young TEs. Cumberland played decently last year even when Sanchez wasn't.

Offensive line: Boothe and Colon were added to really help the run blocking ability of our line. Brick, Mangold and Howard will remain starters at their respected positions. I drafted Uzzi to develop him for a year or so under Boothe or Colon and start him next season or the one after.

DLine: It appears that we have two young studs in Wilkerson and Coples. Both look like excellent run defenders and good pass rushers. Coples only played half of the snaps last year but still managed to get 5.5 sacks. Ellis has a lot to prove this year with the starting NT job in his hands. If he plays well, we could have one of the top young d-lines in the NFL. I picked up Vallone and Francis for depth on the line.

Linebackers: It appears that Harris and Davis will be the starters at ILB this year. Harris had an off year because of lack of talent around him and Davis played well when given a chance. Collins, Barnes, Williams and Moore will all get PT at the rush linebacker position. Mauti and Mauga will be solid depth/role players at the ILB position.

Defensive backs: Revis was extended so our stud 1-2 punch at CB is kept. Wilson will remain the nickel back but he will be challenged by former arena league CB Eric Crocker, who I think has a good shot to challenge Wilson. Crocker looks like an excellent man cover corner who is very physical. But for now he will be the dime corner and Trufant will be the 5th corner. Michael Huff was brought in cheaply to fill the FS role and McDonald, the son of our DBs coach was drafted to compete with Bush and Allen for the other safety spot.

Special teams: This could be a disastrous year with Westy no longer the ST coach. But I trust Koetwica to take knowledge from Mike and keep the special teams unit in tact. Sturgis was drafted to take the kickers job from Folk who was mediocre last year. Boomin Bobby Malone will be back as our punter. Kerley and McKnight had good years returning and will keep their jobs.

Looking ahead to the future: Kolb is definitely not a long term Quarterback. He is extremely injury prone and not proven. The 2014 draft is full of top notch QBs and one of them could be ours. Allen,Holmes and Kerley are a solid 1,2,3 punch but Holmes could be released after the season is over and Hill is not guaranteed to be as good as we expect him to. Also, we have two OGs that are 30+ years old and a young cornerstone might be needed there. Lastly, Huff is only a short term player and McDonald/Bush/Allen isn't guaranteed to pan out so safety help could be needed.

Worked very hard on this and it took a while. Hope you like it.

Last edited by ganggreen1102 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
green24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could probably get a bit more in return from the Rams. I want no part of T.J. McDonald.

I do really like Allen and Collins.
ganggreen1102

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
We could probably get a bit more in return from the Rams. I want no part of T.J. McDonald.

Yeah we probably could have gotten a second instead of a third,5th and 6th. However, I think Idzik wants to pile up draft picks considering we have no depth at all on this team. About McDonald, yeah I know that he has character concerns, but I honestly can't imagine that Tim isn't upset that we didn't draft his son. Maybe his Dad being a part of the team helps his character.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganggreen1102 wrote:
green24 wrote:

Yeah we probably could have gotten a second instead of a third,5th and 6th. However, I think Idzik wants to pile up draft picks considering we have no depth at all on this team. About McDonald, yeah I know that he has character concerns, but I honestly can't imagine that Tim isn't upset that we didn't draft his son. Maybe his Dad being a part of the team helps his character.

It's not the off the field issues, it's the on the field issues. McDonald is not a good player. I'd rather draft Phillip Thomas, who Tim coached at Fresno State.
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite so far...

Love keeping Revis
Really like the Allen / Collins picks .....

For me we can squabble on the 3rd on down picks as everyone has their favorites ... I like the positions you go after 3 on down ...
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am IN LOVE with your UDFA's!!
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the draft. Even though I'm not big on TJ, he is very possible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the pick from McDonald to Thomas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: