Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Star gets Clearance Star Lotulelei or Shariff Floyd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ch8878


Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 2620
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
ch8878 wrote:
What happened to Johnathan Hankins he has fell to the 2nd round now. Shocked
It must be a concern about his stamina/weight management. Idk. I love his effort and motor.


Ya Ravens or Steelers could get him, hopefully not the Pats.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raiderfan19


Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 3017
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star all day. More explosive than Floyd off the line and a better run defender. Can you imagine a nose and 3 technique who can both play the run next to Houston setting the edge. Our linebackers would actually make plays for a change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver&Black88


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 33538
Location: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. Gun to my head: Star. But I might call your bluff first.
_________________

CrapTakula wrote:
Cleveland steamer?

make sure you wash well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bo_Spice


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 9687
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we take a defensive lineman with our first pick it needs to be a RE. With the additions of Pat Sims and Vance Walker defensive tackle isn't a pressing need. We can take a guy like Brandon Williams in the third or fourth round and be fine next season. If we don't find a pass rushing defensive end or some solid cornerbacks we're going to be absolutely terrible against the pass again next season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DOCLEW 28


Joined: 10 Nov 2006
Posts: 10894
Location: East Oakland
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say neither.

We need to do whatever we can to get out of that spot and get more picks. We bought a little time with the free agents and they should be an upgrade for what we are trying to do on defense. And the position is solid for a few rounds. But we need numbers.

2 CB's, FS, OT, OG and depth at each position.

This is not the year to go all out on just one position, targeting a specific guy. We just aren't in that position yet.
_________________

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 3309
Location: Hollywierd
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch8878 wrote:
What happened to Johnathan Hankins he has fell to the 2nd round now. Shocked


I want to trade down and take him in the late teens to early 20's depending on where Richardson, Floyd and Star got taken. Steelers, Cowboys, worry me the most at picking him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RunDmc23


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 234
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
If we take a defensive lineman with our first pick it needs to be a RE. With the additions of Pat Sims and Vance Walker defensive tackle isn't a pressing need. We can take a guy like Brandon Williams in the third or fourth round and be fine next season. If we don't find a pass rushing defensive end or some solid cornerbacks we're going to be absolutely terrible against the pass again next season.


None of those DT's are even good or considered elite, There all bums that won't help this team at all. If you think Richard Seymour and kelly did bad last year imagine how bad those two people starting will do next year Pat Sims and Vance Walker wow hahaha so pathetic. We need A better DT force to make our Linebackers look Ok if we don't have that they are going to look horrible plain and simple. We all know we need a pass rusher but that would require and trade down and unless somebody wants geno smith its probably not going to happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Rob


Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Posts: 2031
Location: Long Beach, Ca
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the signings of Walker and Sims Im comfortable with our DT situation. We have Bilukidi to come off the bench and Houston who can move to DT in a pinch...

We need to address our pass rush, I like Jarvis Jones at #3, he could play OLB in our base D and move to DE in nickel...Jones is a perfect fit for DA/Tarvers multiple D...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 5945
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
With the signings of Walker and Sims Im comfortable with our DT situation. We have Bilukidi to come off the bench and Houston who can move to DT in a pinch...

We need to address our pass rush, I like Jarvis Jones at #3, he could play OLB in our base D and move to DE in nickel...Jones is a perfect fit for DA/Tarvers multiple D...


Has Jones EVER played a down with his hand in the dirt? We can't just make up positions.
_________________
Nodisrespect on building inside out wrote:
teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
unko_B


Joined: 21 Feb 2013
Posts: 30
Location: A Concrete Jungle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of them. DT's ranked this high (for good reason to) dont usually affect the game entirely as much as people think it does. McCoy, Suh, Alualu, Poe, Dorsey, Ellis & Raji were all drafted pretty high but some may argue never affected the game as much as DE, CB, LT or QB has.

IMO we avoid them, for now. If we had a stud LB like Uncle Ray Lewis for example then drafting a DT like Star would make sense. Ray hand picked Haloti, knowing he would keep Ray free to make plays. We dont have that sort of LB. Instead we use multiple DTs to fill that role, a rotation of sorts. Put playmakers on the edge to rush/protect, or in the back to make/limit the explosive plays, or relentless players with non stop motors in the middle to tackle/break tackles.

Avoid any DT (@ #3) if the Riaders are unable to trade back. Instead take a franchise tackle, or a specialist: edge rusher, hell maybe even versatile defensive back with playmaking ability.

p.s Brandon Williams in the 3 round is a value pick & IMO much more appropriate place to draft a DT
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sandiegoraider1


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 2188
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunDmc23 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
If we take a defensive lineman with our first pick it needs to be a RE. With the additions of Pat Sims and Vance Walker defensive tackle isn't a pressing need. We can take a guy like Brandon Williams in the third or fourth round and be fine next season. If we don't find a pass rushing defensive end or some solid cornerbacks we're going to be absolutely terrible against the pass again next season.


None of those DT's are even good or considered elite, There all bums that won't help this team at all. If you think Richard Seymour and kelly did bad last year imagine how bad those two people starting will do next year Pat Sims and Vance Walker wow hahaha so pathetic.
We need A better DT force to make our Linebackers look Ok if we don't have that they are going to look horrible plain and simple. We all know we need a pass rusher but that would require and trade down and unless somebody wants geno smith its probably not going to happen.


You appear to be rather ignorant. Please refrain from posting for awhile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 5945
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unko_B wrote:
None of them. DT's ranked this high (for good reason to) dont usually affect the game entirely as much as people think it does. McCoy, Suh, Alualu, Poe, Dorsey, Ellis & Raji were all drafted pretty high but some may argue never affected the game as much as DE, CB, LT or QB has.

IMO we avoid them, for now. If we had a stud LB like Uncle Ray Lewis for example then drafting a DT like Star would make sense. Ray hand picked Haloti, knowing he would keep Ray free to make plays. We dont have that sort of LB. Instead we use multiple DTs to fill that role, a rotation of sorts. Put playmakers on the edge to rush/protect, or in the back to make/limit the explosive plays, or relentless players with non stop motors in the middle to tackle/break tackles.

Avoid any DT (@ #3) if the Riaders are unable to trade back. Instead take a franchise tackle, or a specialist: edge rusher, hell maybe even versatile defensive back with playmaking ability.

p.s Brandon Williams in the 3 round is a value pick & IMO much more appropriate place to draft a DT


We shouldn't make up statistics either. The Ravens have a fine record of identifying talent with out Sugar ray's assistance.
_________________
Nodisrespect on building inside out wrote:
teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaisinBran


Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 9988
Location: 925/805
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star.
_________________

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heart of Oak


Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 3058
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star all day, every day and twice on Sundays!

Floyd is second round talent that has benefitted from favourable punditry - not saying he is a bad player, but if we take Floyd in the first round, it will be another high selcetion wasted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JTagg7754


Joined: 09 Nov 2010
Posts: 12152
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch8878 wrote:
Neither DT not a need now.


I disagree. While I like the direction we've gone in during the FA period, let's remember none of these guys are Haloti Ngata. They're good DT's but they're not great. While we have other needs, if we were to pick up the top DT on their board, I'm fine w/ that. Keep a fresh defensive line and having solid depth is a very good thing.
_________________


PM sig requests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group