Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our version of Brian Urlacher? Meet Cooper Taylor.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Our version of Brian Urlacher? Meet Cooper Taylor. Reply with quote

Cooper Taylor, is someone I have personally played against in high school from the good old Peach State. He is a safety who signed and played for Georgia Tech out of high school. He had a heart condition, got it fixed, and transferred to Richmond. Taylor is an athletic freak of nature and can lay the wood. He is almost too big to play safety and might be a worth a draft pick to convert to a linebacker. Here are his specs from his pro day:

Cooper Taylor Pro Day-
ht./wt- 6'4 229lbs.
40 yard dash- 4.45-4.53
Vert- 36.5"
Broad- 10'7
Short shuttle-4.2s
3 cone- 6.9
225lbs bench- 23 reps

Last edited by KeithVikings28 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
vikings209

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know 22lbs seems pretty small. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikings209 wrote:
I don't know 22lbs seems pretty small. Wink

Haha my bad, fixed it.
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is his projected round?
AP_ALL_DAY_28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS Sports has him as a

Overall Ranking: 274
Projected Round: 7th-FA
Position Rank: 11

NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings
MLB: Indians
NCAA: Trojans
NHL: Kings
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's cleared medically he won't last past the 5th.
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
If he's cleared medically he won't last past the 5th.

I think he will work his way into the 2nd day, kind of like Brandon Hardin did last year.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing notable about his achievements as a S or LB in college?

He could be a good ST player, and maybe LB depth, with coaching. But which team would want to take a risk and make that investment of intensive coaching time?

Answer: a team with a starter in place could use him as a backup LB who could learn over time.

Minnesota needs a proven, instant starter, and won't likely wait for round 4 or later to find one.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
Nothing notable about his achievements as a S or LB in college?

He could be a good ST player, and maybe LB depth, with coaching. But which team would want to take a risk and make that investment of intensive coaching time?

Answer: a team with a starter in place could use him as a backup LB who could learn over time.

Minnesota needs a proven, instant starter, and won't likely wait for round 4 or later to find one.

2012: First-Team AP All-American ... First-Team Walter Camp All-America ... First-Team The Sports Network All-American ... Second-Team All-American by Phil Steele ... Second-Team All-American by Beyond College Sports ... First-Team All-CAA ... Named The Touchdown Club of Richmond Division I National Defensive Back of the Year ... First-Team VaSID All-State ... College Sports Madness First-Team All-CAA ... First-Team Capital One Academic All-American ... CAA Football Scholar Athlete of the Year ... 2012 CAA Football All-Academic Team ... Named CoSIDA Academic All-District ... Team captain ... Started all 10 games in which he appeared ... Totaled 78 tackles, 5.0 TFL, four interceptions, 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, four quarterback hurries and nine pass breakups ... Named CAA Defensive Player of the Week for the second time on the season after totaling a team-high 13 tackles in shutout win over Rhode Island ... Also had 0.5 sacks, two QB hurries and a forced fumble against the Rams ... Game-high 12 tackles, seven solo, against No. 4 Old Dominion ... Totaled six tackles, including five solo, an interception and three pass breakups in win at Georgia State ... CAA Defensive Player of the Week on September 17 ... Had eight tackles, a sack, an interception, a forced fumble, two pass breakups and a quarterback hurry in victory over Delaware ... Eight tackles, including 1.5 for loss, and a quarterback hurry in win over No. 2 James Madison ... Seven tackles, one tackle for loss and two pass breakups in Capital Cup win at William & Mary ... Totaled five tackles, three solo, and had two interceptions in win at VMI ... Totaled a team-high eight tackles, five solo, and a forced fumble in win at Villanova ... Ran back second INT 35 yards for first career touchdown ... Six tackles at No. 12/13 New Hampshire ... Had four tackles, including one for loss, and a pass breakup in victory over Gardner-Webb ... 2013 Senior Bowl Watch List ...

2011: CAA Football Academic All-Conference Team ... Started all eight games in which he appeared, recording 63 tackles, including 20 solo and 1.5 for loss, a forced fumble, an interception, a QB hurry, and three pass breakups ... Registered 14 tackles, including five solo and 1.0 for a loss of two yards, a forced fumble, a QB hurry, and a pass breakup in a victory at Duke ... Intercepted a pass for 44 yards to go with seven tackles and a pass breakup against Maine ... Had 14 tackles at James Madison ... Totaled six or more tackles six times ..

He will be there in the 4th more than likely. I was saying he could go in the 3rd, you never know.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Cooper, but I'm pretty sure Urlacher was rated differently for several of the reasons stated . . . most notably health and size.

Cooper may more closely resemble Sean Taylor than Urlacher, who was a huge, fast guy playing safety - I recall he was 245 lbs+ coming out of college. Cooper is not really close to that; although, his height and length can help him. I can't think of many LBs at 230 or less lbs that run 4.5-ish that succeed, but when the guy does, he's usually a Derrick Brooks, Dat Nyugen, London Fletcher or Zach Thomas type of guy . . . shorter, but stocky enough to hold up.

Was Cooper the player who had a tear in a vein next to his heart?
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
I don't know much about Cooper, but I'm pretty sure Urlacher was rated differently for several of the reasons stated . . . most notably health and size.

Was Cooper the player who had a tear in a vein next to his heart?

he was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome after being diagnosed with an extremely high heartbeat against Miami on Sept. 17 and sat out the remainder of the season.

Taylor underwent a corrective procedure to correct the condition that can cause the electrical charges between the heart's chamber to become out of sync, and was given a clean bill of health. He was given a medical redshirt.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619598
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
2012: First-Team AP All-American ... First-Team Walter Camp All-America ... First-Team The Sports Network All-American ... Second-Team All-American by Phil Steele ... Second-Team All-American by Beyond College Sports ... First-Team All-CAA ... Named The Touchdown Club of Richmond Division I National Defensive Back of the Year ... First-Team VaSID All-State ... College Sports Madness First-Team All-CAA ... First-Team Capital One Academic All-American ... CAA Football Scholar Athlete of the Year ... 2012 CAA Football All-Academic Team ... Named CoSIDA Academic All-District ... Team captain ... Started all 10 games in which he appeared ... Totaled 78 tackles, 5.0 TFL, four interceptions, 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, four quarterback hurries and nine pass breakups ... Named CAA Defensive Player of the Week for the second time on the season after totaling a team-high 13 tackles in shutout win over Rhode Island ... Also had 0.5 sacks, two QB hurries and a forced fumble against the Rams ... Game-high 12 tackles, seven solo, against No. 4 Old Dominion ... Totaled six tackles, including five solo, an interception and three pass breakups in win at Georgia State ... CAA Defensive Player of the Week on September 17 ... Had eight tackles, a sack, an interception, a forced fumble, two pass breakups and a quarterback hurry in victory over Delaware ... Eight tackles, including 1.5 for loss, and a quarterback hurry in win over No. 2 James Madison ... Seven tackles, one tackle for loss and two pass breakups in Capital Cup win at William & Mary ... Totaled five tackles, three solo, and had two interceptions in win at VMI ... Totaled a team-high eight tackles, five solo, and a forced fumble in win at Villanova ... Ran back second INT 35 yards for first career touchdown ... Six tackles at No. 12/13 New Hampshire ... Had four tackles, including one for loss, and a pass breakup in victory over Gardner-Webb ... 2013 Senior Bowl Watch List ...

2011: CAA Football Academic All-Conference Team ... Started all eight games in which he appeared, recording 63 tackles, including 20 solo and 1.5 for loss, a forced fumble, an interception, a QB hurry, and three pass breakups ... Registered 14 tackles, including five solo and 1.0 for a loss of two yards, a forced fumble, a QB hurry, and a pass breakup in a victory at Duke ... Intercepted a pass for 44 yards to go with seven tackles and a pass breakup against Maine ... Had 14 tackles at James Madison ... Totaled six or more tackles six times ..

He will be there in the 4th more than likely. I was saying he could go in the 3rd, you never know.

In the future, please post a link to the source that you are getting this information from.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26800&ATCLID=205207658

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of difficult to compare someone to Urlacher, considering Urlacher was the 9th pick overall in 2000. And Urlacher actually played LB in college. While I don't doubt that you have faith in the guy, and I agree that he's probably too tall to play safety, but it would take quite some time for him to be able to make the conversion to LB...even longer than it would take to get Audie Cole to become a starter. I don't see the point in drafting such a project.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
smiley4805

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
It's kind of difficult to compare someone to Urlacher, considering Urlacher was the 9th pick overall in 2000. And Urlacher actually played LB in college. While I don't doubt that you have faith in the guy, and I agree that he's probably too tall to play safety, but it would take quite some time for him to be able to make the conversion to LB...even longer than it would take to get Audie Cole to become a starter. I don't see the point in drafting such a project.
I think the reason that KeithVikings28 was making the comparison to Urlacher is because Urlacher was a safety in college. Here is a great article about his transition to LB and also his character.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1019148/index.htm

Last edited by smiley4805 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
AQuintus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiley4805 wrote:
I think the reason that KeithVikings28 was making the comparison to Urlacher is because Urlacher was a safety in college.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1019148/index.htm

Not exactly, he played a hybrid S/LB position called a "lobo-back" in New Mexico's defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: