Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Sign Kicker Phil Dawson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kingnothing


Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 73
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good signing, brining in a veteran kicker with confidence. I would still like for the team to draft or sign a rookie free agent kicker. The team may even be able to keep the rookie on the practice squad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dawgdish


Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Posts: 2342
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys got a heck of a steady kicker and class guy all around. Since my Browns don't have much of a shot this year, I'm counting on you to win a ring for Phil!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DirtyJersey9er


Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Posts: 3842
Location: Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingnothing wrote:
Good signing, brining in a veteran kicker with confidence. I would still like for the team to draft or sign a rookie free agent kicker. The team may even be able to keep the rookie on the practice squad.


the Kicker prob wouldn't clear waivers soon enough to make the PSquad.
_________________
Welcome to the 9ers Q!

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
49ersfan2152


Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 751
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really was hoping we get him. He was the best K available in FA an he is one of probably the 5 best in the game. He is a good person/teamate from what browns fans say an great veteran.
_________________


gridiorngreat thnk you for the sig

Favorite Teams
Redsox, 49ers, Celtics, Uconn BB, Bruins, LSU FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26992
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Marc Sessler ‏@MarcSesslerNFL 1m
From Tuesday: @49ers landing @phil_dawson_4 is a wild upgrade. Brilliant, underrated kicker; reliable & dedicated. #Browns will be sorry.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers Finest


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 8983
Location: San Jose
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's only counting like a mill against the cap. We got him for cheap. I think two years would have been better though. He's going to score a lot for us

Quote:
@AdamSchefter: 49ers gave K Phil Dawson a one-year, $2.25 million deal, including $1 million signing bonus. Great deal for Niners, not-so-great for Dawson

@AdamSchefter: Top kicker salaries: Sebastian Janikowski ($4 mil), J. Scobee ($3.45 mil), S. Gostkowski ($3.4 mil), C. Barth ($3.3 mil), Prater ($3.25 mil)

Off those numbers, seems like punters get paid a lot more?
_________________
***WE RUN THE WEST!***
SB AT HOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

new sig... sorry alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13266
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
He's only counting like a mill against the cap. We got him for cheap. I think two years would have been better though. He's going to score a lot for us

Quote:
@AdamSchefter: 49ers gave K Phil Dawson a one-year, $2.25 million deal, including $1 million signing bonus. Great deal for Niners, not-so-great for Dawson

@AdamSchefter: Top kicker salaries: Sebastian Janikowski ($4 mil), J. Scobee ($3.45 mil), S. Gostkowski ($3.4 mil), C. Barth ($3.3 mil), Prater ($3.25 mil)

Off those numbers, seems like punters get paid a lot more?



How did you get to the conclusion that he will count for only 1 million? His signing bonus alone counts for a million (as it is prorated over the length of the contract... one year). Now, we don't know what the base salary is, but one has to assume it's at least the veteran minimum. There might or might not be any other bonus in there, so it's pretty safe to assume he will count for pretty much 2.25 million against the cap. If there's any incentive in there that he doesn't reach, then we'd get cap relief next year, but I seriously doubt there'd be any of that in such a small one year deal.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
49ers Finest


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 8983
Location: San Jose
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought signing bonuses didnt count against the cap?
_________________
***WE RUN THE WEST!***
SB AT HOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

new sig... sorry alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ersfan


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 6522
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I saw brought up on he browns forum: dawson is a great bad weather kicker. The Super Bowl is in the meadowlands this year...of course we have to make it first, just sayin.
_________________
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13266
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
I thought signing bonuses didnt count against the cap?



They absolutely do. Their prorated over the length of the deal. A one million signing bonus on a two year contract counts for 500k each year. If he's cut after the first year, that 500k becomes dead money. In Dawson's case, it's only a one year deal, so the full signing bonus counts, on top of his base salary.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
49ers Finest


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 8983
Location: San Jose
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
I thought signing bonuses didnt count against the cap?



They absolutely do. Their prorated over the length of the deal. A one million signing bonus on a two year contract counts for 500k each year. If he's cut after the first year, that 500k becomes dead money. In Dawson's case, it's only a one year deal, so the full signing bonus counts, on top of his base salary.

Didnt know that.
Then how come when teams like the steelers restructure. Like with Ben then give them a signing bonus when there tight on the cap. Not sure here at all. I thought that's the reason they did that haha
_________________
***WE RUN THE WEST!***
SB AT HOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

new sig... sorry alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13266
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
I thought signing bonuses didnt count against the cap?



They absolutely do. Their prorated over the length of the deal. A one million signing bonus on a two year contract counts for 500k each year. If he's cut after the first year, that 500k becomes dead money. In Dawson's case, it's only a one year deal, so the full signing bonus counts, on top of his base salary.

Didnt know that.
Then how come when teams like the steelers restructure. Like with Ben then give them a signing bonus when there tight on the cap. Not sure here at all. I thought that's the reason they did that haha



What they do is they convert base salary into signing bonus. The player likes it because he gets a big fat guaranteed check right away, instead of waiting for their weekly paycheck for their base salary. Then, that signing bonus is stretched over the length of the contract. Let's say X player has two years left on a deal, his base salary for this season his 8 millions, the prorated signing bonus cap hit from his previous contract still counts for 1 million (making his actual cap hit 9 millions for the year), he can convert, let's say, 6 millions of his base salary into a signing bonus and extend his contract for 4 more years after the end of his current deal. So that 6 millions new signing bonus is prorated over the length of the deal, which is now 6 years, so it counts for 1 million per year, plus his now-reduced 2 millions base salary, plys the pre-existing 1 million cap hit from his previous deal. He now counts for 4 millions instead of 9, even though he just received a big fat 6 millions check. It gives the team instant cap room, and the player a fat paycheck.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
NINERFAN_4_LIFE


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 12527
Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park, wondering if I should throw my levis into the fire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate this signing simply because having a good kicker is just going to encourage Harbaugh to settle for FGs and call 8 yard passes on 3rd and 11 Laughing

touchdowns are what win games, especially with the speed we have on our offense, we need to score TDs.


I do like that he is good from 50+ almost everytime. thats something we havent had (altho nedney was good from distance)
_________________
FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SFaithful97


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 2975
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
I hate this signing simply because having a good kicker is just going to encourage Harbaugh to settle for FGs and call 8 yard passes on 3rd and 11 Laughing

touchdowns are what win games, especially with the speed we have on our offense, we need to score TDs.


I do like that he is good from 50+ almost everytime. thats something we havent had (altho nedney was good from distance)
I would agree with you, except we do have some of the best YAC WRs in the game. Boldin and Crabtree run through guys for those extra few yards, and Manningham runs very well in space. If that is the read that is open (the underneath route) it is the right play to throw it there and trust our guys to get the remainder with their legs. Kaep has given us no reason to doubt that he will sling it past the sticks if he sees the opening. The only thing this may stop is our occasional decision to go for it on 4th down when inside the 30, and I personally think that is great. Take the almost sure thing of 3 points rather than risk the turnover.
_________________

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DirtyJersey9er


Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Posts: 3842
Location: Jersey
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
I hate this signing simply because having a good kicker is just going to encourage Harbaugh to settle for FGs and call 8 yard passes on 3rd and 11 Laughing

touchdowns are what win games, especially with the speed we have on our offense, we need to score TDs.


I do like that he is good from 50+ almost everytime. thats something we havent had (altho nedney was good from distance)


Missed Akers FGs were to blame in 2 games that could have been a win(both vs the Rams).

In the other losses I would have to check back but at least in one of the losses a missed kick could have been considered a reason the opponent had extre momentum to score more.
_________________
Welcome to the 9ers Q!

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group