Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gotta say it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
I will reserve judgement until the season starts. Honestly, Miami could have signed Victor Cruz and Mike Wallace and I would still reserve judgement because historically something has always become unglued. I would feel better if Miami had a pass rush outside Wake and shown the ability to protect the QB. Notice I did not say anything about DB's. I feel if you have a pass rush they are less important.

Dude 99% of the time I defer to you in football matters, but I can't help but think that if miami had spend the offseason getting the cold shoulder from anybody with talent, you wouldn't be waiting until the season starts to recognize signs of change. No offense intended, but I think if we where making questionable moves you and a couple others would be ripping Ireland a new one. But we are addressing needs with players who are young and have shown to be productive and now you want to "reserve judgement"

No disrespect just my opinion.

I too am reserving judgement. Here's why, the Dolphins as ovaw8 has pointed out, have historically come "unglued" so many times it would be laughable if I didn't care so much. I realize I am older than a lot of posters here, so my pain goes back quite a ways. Here are some of the low lights of the many let downs in franchise history:

1 - Lets start with Superbowl XVII. The Killer B's defense was 1st in the NFL in over total yards allowed and fewest passing yards allowed. It looked like a foundation of a team that would challenge time and time again. Clearly that didn't happen. Disappointment.

2 - Marino's entire career. I shouldn't have to even explain this. We had, arguably, the strongest passing game in the NFL, and could never find a RB or a Defense to pair with it. We regularly made the playoffs but always came up short. The Superbowl with the 49ers seemed like it would be the first of many for Dan the Man, but it was his sole entry onto the Superbowl stage. Disappointment.

3. Shula's last season. The Dolphins had 19 former first rounders on the roster and Dan Marino was breaking most of Fran Tarkenton's all time passing records. We stumbled into the playoffs with a 9-7 record and got killed by the Bills of all team. Disappointment.

4. Jimmy Johnson tenure. He was THE hottest coach and player evaluator of his era and he wanted to be in Miami. He was a virtual "lock" to take Marino and the Dolphins to the Superbowl. Instead he brought us Rob Konrad, J J Johnson, and Cecil Collins. Disappointment.

5. Ricky Williams arrives then departs, then arrives again. Ricky carried this team like few RB's ever have carried teams. He was a beast. It looked like all we needed was a to get a passing game going and the team was gonna win big. That dream went up in smoke. Literally. Disappointment.

6. Nick Saban arrives then departs. Nick Saban will not be the coach of Alabama. Yeah, right. THE GOLDEN CHILD of college football became the Czar of the Dolphins. He brought with him hope and Dante Culpepper. Ouch. Disappointment.

7. Cam Cameron brings in Ted Ginn Jr. and his family. The offensive guru brought with him to South Florida John Beck and Ted Ginn Jr. Thank god that lasted only one year. It was the worst season in team history and gave us the #1 overall pick.

8. Future Hall of Famer Bill Parcells brings his wisdom to Miami. Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland promised to build this team "the right way", and despite one decent season when they first arrived, all they did was make bad selections, field mediocre teams and fall in love with players like Pat White, Chad Henne, Phillip Merling, and Vontae Davis.

Each year we are told this time its "different". "We are getting on track." or "The right guys are in the drivers seat". I say, "whatever". Put wins on the board. Then I'll be impressed. It used to be that the Dolphins fans were excited about the possibility of a Superbowl. Then it was the fans were excited about making the playoffs. Then it was that they were excited about having a winning season. Then it was they were excited about the coach/GM we brought in. Now its the off season acquisitions.

When the Dolphins win, I will be excited. When they SHOW that they have turned a corner and the play on the field is elite then I will be hopeful. But getting all hot and bothered about 2 linebackers with less than two solid season between them, a highly priced speedster WR coming off his worst NFL season, and a TE coming off an injury and a bad year seems a bit premature. Forgive me for not being overly excited, but I've been hopeful for about 3 decades and my heart has been broken repeatedly. I'm not saying I don't see things I like. I do. I've stated them clearly here on these boards. However, 3 decades of falling short despite exciting additions year in and year out has me, understandably, withholding judgement.

Last edited by Mercury22 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
patdt13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was 19 first rounders on the team during Shula's last season? o.O Shocked Shocked Shocked

#TeamMeowgatron
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
I will reserve judgement until the season starts. Honestly, Miami could have signed Victor Cruz and Mike Wallace and I would still reserve judgement because historically something has always become unglued. I would feel better if Miami had a pass rush outside Wake and shown the ability to protect the QB. Notice I did not say anything about DB's. I feel if you have a pass rush they are less important.

Dude 99% of the time I defer to you in football matters, but I can't help but think that if miami had spend the offseason getting the cold shoulder from anybody with talent, you wouldn't be waiting until the season starts to recognize signs of change. No offense intended, but I think if we where making questionable moves you and a couple others would be ripping Ireland a new one. But we are addressing needs with players who are young and have shown to be productive and now you want to "reserve judgement"

I too am reserving judgement. Here's why, the Dolphins as ovaw8 has pointed out, have historically come "unglued" so many times it would be laughable if I didn't care so much. I realize I am older than a lot of posters here, so my pain goes back quite a ways. Here are some of the low lights of the many let downs in franchise history:

1 - Lets start with Superbowl XVII. The Killer B's defense was 1st in the NFL in over total yards allowed and fewest passing yards allowed. It looked like a foundation of a team that would challenge time and time again. Clearly that didn't happen. Disappointment.

2 - Marino's entire career. I shouldn't have to even explain this. We had, arguably, the strongest passing game in the NFL, and could never find a RB or a Defense to pair with it. We regularly made the playoffs but always came up short. The Superbowl with the 49ers seemed like it would be the first of many for Dan the Man, but it was his sole entry onto the Superbowl stage. Disappointment.

3. Shula's last season. The Dolphins had 19 former first rounders on the roster and Dan Marino was breaking most of Fran Tarkenton's all time passing records. We stumbled into the playoffs with a 9-7 record and got killed by the Bills of all team. Disappointment.

4. Jimmy Johnson tenure. He was THE hottest coach and player evaluator of his era and he wanted to be in Miami. He was a virtual "lock" to take Marino and the Dolphins to the Superbowl. Instead he brought us Rob Konrad, J J Johnson, and Cecil Collins. Disappointment.

5. Ricky Williams arrives then departs, then arrives again. Ricky carried this team like few RB's ever have carried teams. He was a beast. It looked like all we needed was a to get a passing game going and the team was gonna win big. That dream went up in smoke. Literally. Disappointment.

6. Nick Saban arrives then departs. Nick Saban will not be the coach of Alabama. Yeah, right. THE GOLDEN CHILD of college football became the Czar of the Dolphins. He brought with him hope and Dante Culpepper. Ouch. Disappointment.

7. Cam Cameron bring in Ted Ginn Jr. and his family. The offensive guru brought with him to South Florida John Beck and Ted Ginn Jr. Thank god that last one year. It was the worst season in team history and gave us the #1 overall pick.

8. Future Hall of Famer Bill Parcells brings his wisdom to Miami. Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland promised to build this team "the right way", and despite one decent season when they first arrived, all they did was make bad selections, field mediocre teams and fall in love with players like Pat White, Chad Henne, Phillip Merling, and Vontae Davis.

Each year we are told this time its "different". "We are getting on track." or "The right guys are in the drivers seat". I say, "whatever". Put wins on the board. Then I'll be impressed. It used to be that the Dolphins fans were excited about the possibility of a Superbowl. Then it was the fans were excited about making the playoffs. Then it was that they were excited about having a winning season. Then it was they were excited about the coach/GM we brought in. Now its the off season acquisitions.

When the Dolphins win, I will be excited. When they SHOW that they have turned a corner and the play on the field is elite then I will be hopeful. But getting all hot and bothered about 2 linebackers with less than two solid season between them, a highly priced speedster WR coming off his worst NFL season, and a TE coming off an injury and a bad year seems a bit premature. Forgive me for not being overly excited, but I've been hopeful for about 3 decades and my heart has been broken repeatedly. I'm not saying I don't see things I like. I do. I've stated them clearly here on these boards. However, 3 decades of falling short despite exciting additions year in and year out has me, understandably, withholding judgement.

The things you have mentioned are all what I have called band-aid fixes....this is the first time that I can remember where the roster has been completely redone....a true rebuilding. In the last year the teams has rid themselves of past players that didn't fit the system (Long, Bush, Davis, Marshall, Henne, Smith....) and are bringing in guys they want for their system.

I look at Parcells and I see a man who the game has past by....he wasn't a savior only an arrogant former coach who wanted to show that his style still worked. It was clear that Sparano was in over his head and the old way of doing things DOESN'T WORK.

For the first time since I can remember we have a Coach, GM and Owner all on the same page. They have confidence in the QB, a coach that actually has a plan, and GM who has went from being unable to land a notable free agent to signing the top WR and the top LB and he has manage to accumulate 11.....11 draft picks....he did through trading away players that didn't fit Philbin's team. It has been sense the days of Shula that this team has had any direction.

I'm not saying you need to be excited...and past experiences would make anyone not trusting. I am a fan....I like football, being hopeful is significantly more enjoyable then being pessimistic. Being a Dolphin fan is rough....hell I'm tired of hanging on to the Perfect Season as one of the only significant accomplishments of this team...

Lets at least give this group a chance to build a contender before we write them off...it's the NFL...anything can happen...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdt13 wrote:
There was 19 first rounders on the team during Shula's last season? o.O Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yes.

Dan Marino
Tim Bowens
Trace Armstrong
Terrell Buckley
Keith Byars
Gary Clark
Marco Coleman
Steve Emtman
Irving Fryar
Eric Green
Randall Hill
Bernie Kosar
OJ McDuffie
Dan McGwire
Billy Milner
Richmond Web
Troy Vincent
Chris Singleton
Louis Oliver

And for what its worth, this is not the first rebuild in Dolphins history. The team has been made over more times than a JC Penny Department Store Mannequin.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

7. Cam Cameron brings in Ted Ginn Jr. and his family. The offensive guru brought with him to South Florida John Beck and Ted Ginn Jr. Thank god that lasted only one year. It was the worst season in team history and gave us the #1 overall pick.

I speculate that if we had spent the last 10 years being spectacular and only recently started to show signs of bad decision making, the mantra would be to forget the past because what matters is the damage that's being done now.

And no one is telling you not to reserve judgement. In fact I encourage it. But please know that criticizing 1out of every 3 moves and putting a negative spin on apparent positives is not reserving judgement.

Is pointing out that we have cap room because of draft picks that missed reserving judgement ? As you know you are free to post whatever you want but this is not reserving judgement.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:

I speculate that if we had spent the last 10 years being spectacular and only recently started to show signs of bad decision making, the mantra would be to forget the past because what matters is the damage that's being done now.

And no one is telling you not to reserve judgement. In fact I encourage it. But please know that criticizing 1out of every 3 moves and putting a negative spin on apparent positives is not reserving judgement.

Is pointing out that we have cap room because of draft picks that missed reserving judgement ? As you know you are free to post whatever you want but this is not reserving judgement.

You have continually characterized me as negative, dolphinologist. I am not. I am realistic. I point out both positives and negatives that I see. The difference is dramatic. It might be nice if we were all like minded, hopeful and cheery about the state of the franchise but that's not realistic. Many of the fans on this site want to put a ribbon on this turd and call it a present. Its not. The ribbon may be nice, and I am happy to agree on that, but the turd remains, and his name is Jeff Ireland. I am calling them as I see them. For whatever good Ireland is doing now, its comes on the heels of a 5 years of complete stink. If Ireland breaks out a pooper scooper and cleans up his mess, I will be impressed, thrilled and will be happy to say so, as I have already done several times.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:

You have continually characterized me as negative, dolphinologist. I am not. I am realistic. I point out both positives and negatives that I see. The difference is dramatic. It might be nice if we were all like minded, hopeful and cheery about the state of the franchise but that's not realistic. Many of the fans on this site want to put a ribbon on this turd and call it a present. Its not. The ribbon may be nice, and I am happy to agree on that, but the turd remains, and his name is Jeff Ireland. I am calling them as I see them. For whatever good Ireland is doing now, its comes on the heels of a 5 years of complete stink. If Ireland breaks out a pooper scooper and cleans up his mess, I will be impressed, thrilled and will be happy to say so, as I have already done several times.

i'm in no place to characterize you. I know this fact and my statements did not have that intent. I even believe the ratio I used is 1 out of 3. That's just my perspective. I know you point out positives as well. My point is that I don't think there would be a reserve "judgement approach" if we where doing dumb stuff this offseason.

Let's look at the "ribbon and turd" analogy. We are well rounded about our discussions. We talk about everything from FA, New Stadiums and Team Logos. We all notice steps are being taken to do things differently. (1st round QBs, an honest attempt to make sure the personnel fits, and the accumulation of draft picks etc.)

The most anybody has said on a positive note is that if finally looks like we are making efforts to do things differently. How is that tying a ribbon ?
And now that we have used FA to address a portion of our needs and get younger, how is this still a turd ?

No we haven't proven anything. But what can you prove in February and March ?

Either way the more important thing is that you know I'm not characterizing you in any way.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who woulda thunk the Dave Wannstedt Era would be the best the franchise had this past 20 years?

11-5
11-5
9-7
10-6
1-8 (resigned midseason)

He was running off fumes from our nice defensive drafts well before him.
MDolphins2399

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Sorry, I don't post here often but i have read this sight for a while, just look at my join date. However, this thread made me laugh when i saw some respected posters such as Merc getting called a pessimist.

First things first, you cannot be a sane Dolphins fan without being a bit of a pessimist. What i took from what Merc was saying is that he is excited about where we are going but he's probably been excited for 15 of the last 20 years (if not more, we're all fans here), at some point you gotta hold reservations. It's some wear and tear on the soul if you disappoint yourself yearly.

My Perspective:
I'm extremely positive about the direction we are moving, thinking back to the growth i saw in us last year, we have a bit as fans to be excited about. However, i am not even an old fan and i can't say i'm excited about our future, although i probably am, i cannot allow myself to feel that way. All I am willing to admit to as a dolphins fan this offseason is, "i am excited to see it."

every year of my fandom has been talk of what "could/should" happen. I would bet i'm half merc's age but even i understand. This is a tough team to be a fan of lately, (mostly because of the proud history). So we cannot be mad at the older fans for not being excited by our OFFSEASON MOVES. i'm not even excited about our "exciting" team, i'm just ready.

Ready to see it.
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
Who woulda thunk the Dave Wannstedt Era would be the best the franchise had this past 20 years?

11-5
11-5
9-7
10-6
1-8 (resigned midseason)

He was running off fumes from our nice defensive drafts well before him.

As much as I dislike Dave Wannstedt as a head coach, records speak for themselves. Plenty of coaches have failed in this league despite having talented players on their team.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDolphins2399 wrote:
I'm Sorry, I don't post here often but i have read this sight for a while, just look at my join date. However, this thread made me laugh when i saw some respected posters such as Merc getting called a pessimist.

First things first, you cannot be a sane Dolphins fan without being a bit of a pessimist. What i took from what Merc was saying is that he is excited about where we are going but he's probably been excited for 15 of the last 20 years (if not more, we're all fans here), at some point you gotta hold reservations. It's some wear and tear on the soul if you disappoint yourself yearly.

My Perspective:
I'm extremely positive about the direction we are moving, thinking back to the growth i saw in us last year, we have a bit as fans to be excited about. However, i am not even an old fan and i can't say i'm excited about our future, although i probably am, i cannot allow myself to feel that way. All I am willing to admit to as a dolphins fan this offseason is, "i am excited to see it."

every year of my fandom has been talk of what "could/should" happen. I would bet i'm half merc's age but even i understand. This is a tough team to be a fan of lately, (mostly because of the proud history). So we cannot be mad at the older fans for not being excited by our OFFSEASON MOVES. i'm not even excited about our "exciting" team, i'm just ready.

Ready to see it.

So well said. I appreciate the post, MD2399. Really. You said it better and much more concisely than I have by far.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:

i'm in no place to characterize you. I know this fact and my statements did not have that intent. I even believe the ratio I used is 1 out of 3. That's just my perspective. I know you point out positives as well. My point is that I don't think there would be a reserve "judgement approach" if we where doing dumb stuff this offseason.

Let's look at the "ribbon and turd" analogy. We are well rounded about our discussions. We talk about everything from FA, New Stadiums and Team Logos. We all notice steps are being taken to do things differently. (1st round QBs, an honest attempt to make sure the personnel fits, and the accumulation of draft picks etc.)

The most anybody has said on a positive note is that if finally looks like we are making efforts to do things differently. How is that tying a ribbon ?
And now that we have used FA to address a portion of our needs and get younger, how is this still a turd ?

No we haven't proven anything. But what can you prove in February and March ?

Either way the more important thing is that you know I'm not characterizing you in any way.

If Ireland spent half our cap space to say, bring back Ted Ginn Jr., then yes, you'd certainly hear me bitching about it. Beyond some colossal reach though, I can't help but reserve judgement, as I said, based on the history I've lived through with this franchise.

I really have no idea if the moves Ireland has made are good ones or not. I really, really don't. I see both sides of the argument. I see things to like about this offseason and I see things not to like. And as you said, I too am keenly, almost painfully, aware that none of it matters unless we win games starting in Sept.

What I am mostly hearing here, on these boards, is that Ireland is "killing it". That he is having a "great off-season". That we are "doing things the right way finally". Those sorts of things. The only things I know for sure so far is that we've made some big financial commitments, because we had a ton of space. Again, that's not a criticism. Its a simple acknowledgement of what has happened.

One oddity to me is that the "right way/method" to rebuild a franchise most commonly supported/endorsed on these boards has, historically, been "through the draft". Yet, we are watching a team rebuild as much through big time free agency spending as through the draft. I don't hear many people mentioning that or concerned. That surprises me a little. Then again, perhaps the league has changed with the new CBA and Ireland is reading it well. I really, really don't know and won't know until we start playing games. All I do know is that much of what Ireland has done, historically, has been pretty bad and that while past performance may not be indicative of future behavior, I can't help but be skeptical.

And for what its worth, I really would like to share your optimism. I know we both want our Dolphins to win more than anything, and I don't necessarily think you are wrong about the direction of the team. I just need to see it, on the field, before I can judge it as the right or wrong thing.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

And for what its worth, I really would like to share your optimism. I know we both want our Dolphins to win more than anything, and I don't necessarily think you are wrong about the direction of the team.

Bring it in guys, group hug! Angel

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

And for what its worth, I really would like to share your optimism. I know we both want our Dolphins to win more than anything, and I don't necessarily think you are wrong about the direction of the team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

#TeamMeowgatron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: