Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

$19.8 million in cap space: What can we do with it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
I'd also start some dialogue with Jermichael Finley and his people. See if we can't get him a good guarantee but a very heavily performance based contract. I think he would go for it with a respectible upfront paycheck and a potential huge payday if he really earns it.

Not sure Finley is looking to be extended tbh. He's got the second highest cap hit after Zach Miller, and given how confident he is in his abilities I'm not sure that he's really worried about long term security. Now, if he wants to get extended to a Heath Miller-kind of deal, I'd be down but I don't see him interested in taking a big pay cut.
svp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if Aaron Rodgers leaves the money on the table a la Flacco?
Betting on himself for superbowl MVP. Putting a chip on top of the chip that is already on his shoulder.

CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svp wrote:
Betting on himself for superbowl MVP. Putting a chip on top of the chip that is already on his shoulder.

Flacco left money on the table? That's news to me.
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Scratch that. I've got them at $19,217,486 WITH the rollover included.

Tamba Hali is about an ideal comparison for a Clay Matthews contract extension. Numbers actually seem to favor Hali actually.

Quote:
8/3/2011: Signed a five-year, $57.5 million contract. The deal contains $35 million guaranteed, including a $15 million signing bonus. An annual $250,000 workout bonus is available in years two through five. 2013: $12.25 million, 2014: $6.25 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2015: $6.75 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2016: Free Agent

11.5 to 12 million per year seems about right for Clay. Assuming they keep it relatively flat contract, that's taking about 7.1 million out of our cap space, which puts them at $12,117,486.

As for Raji, Vince Wilfork numbers are probably what Raji's looking at.

Quote:
3/5/2010: Signed a five-year, $40 million contract. The deal contains $25 million guaranteed, including an $18 million signing bonus and Wilfork's first three base salaries. $1.185 million is included via weight bonuses, with an additional $800,000 available through workout bonuses over the life of the contract. 2013: $6.5 million, 2014: $7.5 million, 2015: Free Agent

I'd have to imagine it's backloaded, much like Vince Wilfork's is so assume it opens up another two million in cap space, so you're looking at $14,117,486 or so in cap space. Pencil in another 5 million for draft and UDFA, and you're looking at an extra $9,117,486ish in cap space.

I'd have to imagine that the Packers are going to want to take the brunt of the hit this year and in 2015 when the salary cap is supposed to go up considerably.

I have pretty much the same thing, I have them at about $700,000 more, but pretty nominal when all things are considered.

I like the model for Clay, think that is right about in line for him.

I think that works for Raji as well, although the more and more I think about Raji the more and more I am comfortable with letting him play out the contract and then wait for other guys, Finley, Pickett, Williams, Kuhn...to come off or potentially come off the books and at worst franchise him next offseason.

I wonder how TT and Ball are going to use the potential increase because of TV money. From the past it seems like they are pretty conservative and more willing to spend now instead of gamble in the future, but pushing one or maybe two guys big years to when the TV money is expected might be a strategy. If we give 2 of Rodgers, Clay, Raji a smaller year this and even next year we can potentially backload the contract when the TV money comes in. Although it cannot be too big of a jump, but something to maybe help out for the next couple of years.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign the big three Green Bay style. Then pay your draft picks and get ready for next year, cause Shields is one more shut down season away from breaking the bank too.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CWood21"]Not sure Finley is looking to be extended tbh. He's got the second highest cap hit after Zach Miller, and given how confident he is in his abilities I'm not sure that he's really worried about long term security[quote]

Lol wut?

Every player is worried about long term security regardless of their confidence. This is ridiculous and the Finley misconceptions here are just getting stupid.

Can't wait Til he has a giant year and shuts people up.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
AmishMafia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svp wrote:

Flacco turned down good money in hopes of getting great money. Rodgers already earned great money - he can't improve his value any higher. The limiting factor on what he gets is the need to have a team around him.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack4life7 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Not sure Finley is looking to be extended tbh. He's got the second highest cap hit after Zach Miller, and given how confident he is in his abilities I'm not sure that he's really worried about long term security

Lol wut?

Every player is worried about long term security regardless of their confidence. This is ridiculous and the Finley misconceptions here are just getting stupid.

We are all waiting for that.

Revel8 wrote:
I believe I may have already found it. Not only the way to cure ebola, but every virus period.

PSN: ShiiNyIV

Last edited by JBURGE25 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
byzr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if my thinking is right, Rodgers has 2 years left, and Raji and Clay have are in their contract years, right? if that's right i'd probably say we should have Rodgers and Matthews as the priorities. Get Rodger's and Matthews contracts out of the way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack4life7 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Not sure Finley is looking to be extended tbh. He's got the second highest cap hit after Zach Miller, and given how confident he is in his abilities I'm not sure that he's really worried about long term security

Lol wut?

I don't really think so. He thinks he deserves that 7.5/year long term and wouldn't just sign a contract to get a long term deal unless it pays him as if he were one of the very top TE.

I can't see him having a giant year. I hope they let him walk after this season.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
if my thinking is right, Rodgers has 2 years left, and Raji and Clay have are in their contract years, right? if that's right i'd probably say we should have Rodgers and Matthews as the priorities. Get Rodger's and Matthews contracts out of the way.

No Raji and Rodgers aren't FA's til 2015, Matthews 2014.

Rodgers and Matthews probably get re-signed sometime this year. We can def wait on Raji. Plenty of cap and plenty of time. My question is whether or not we have the cash for Rodgers and Matthews...
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpnesdude41 wrote:
byzr wrote:

Rodgers and Matthews probably get re-signed sometime this year. We can def wait on Raji. Plenty of cap and plenty of time. My question is whether or not we have the cash for Rodgers and Matthews...

Raji's year 5 is a voidable year which WILL be voided.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
cpnesdude41 wrote:
byzr wrote:

Raji's year 5 is a voidable year which WILL be voided.

Not by the Packers it won't. His base salary is only a hair over $2mil.
AmishMafia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald323 wrote:
need all that

a-rod 18 mil a year

clay 12 mil a year

bj 8 mil a year

Rodgers current cap hit is 10 mil
Clay is 5 mil
and bj is 6.6 mil

Therefore, the increase in cap from the numbers you have are:

a-rod 8 mil
Clay 7 mil
bj 1.4 mil

or 16.4 mil

TT offered Jennings 8 mil per year, so I am betting the contracts he intends to get done, and structured such that we will have at least 8 mil in FA signing money - if need be.
mightybk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing they are waiting to do the Rodgers/Matthews contracts until the RFA signing period ends, so they don't get caught with needing to match an offer for Shields or EDS and not having enough cap space to deal with it.

Also, my guess in the variance of the cap space available calculations may be with Woodson's contract this past year, which had per-game roster bonuses that were unrealized with his injury, which we would get credit for this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: