Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

$19.8 million in cap space: What can we do with it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: $19.8 million in cap space: What can we do with it? Reply with quote

Tom Silverstein reported after the Hawk restructure that we currently stood roughly $19.8 million under the cap. Which seems very comfortable, but we have three big looming contract extensions (Rodgers, Matthews, Raji). With rumors swirling around Michael Huff & Ahmad Bradshaw, I wanted to see how much flexibility you guys think we have with our money.

Some work done by our posters:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=514856
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=508232
Ronald323

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

need all that

a-rod 18 mil a year

clay 12 mil a year

bj 8 mil a year

Last edited by Ronald323 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
KManX89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually $26.8 mil including rollover money from last year. Smile But Ron's cap figures for all 3 seem pretty reasonable.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting to be that time in FA where the bargain hunting begins. I am not too worried about it, I think the most important part of FA for the Pack has already concluded successfully, and that was restructuring Hawk's contract. If they can get something done with Kuhn as well that would be great. If Quarless does not show anything coming back that may open up more space as well, just have to see how that shakes out come TC. Lots of room there right now and definitely opportunities to make more room if needed to extend corps players and bargain hunt.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald323 wrote:
a-rod 18 mil

clay 12 mil

bj 8 mil

More or less this. Get those three extended, sign your draft class, save at least $2m for in-season use, and then you're out of money.
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Ronald323 wrote:
a-rod 18 mil

clay 12 mil

bj 8 mil

More or less this. Get those three extended, sign your draft class, save at least $2m for in-season use, and then you're out of money.

So do you think we have any room to sign a FA?
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Ronald323 wrote:
a-rod 18 mil

clay 12 mil

bj 8 mil

These contracts get structured so its not the full hit right away and includes a big guaranteed number. The Packers have a number of players this year and next they need to lock in so no they really don't have a bunch of extra cash, but they do have some for a couple of moves this off season.
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noting, Ted filled his tub with cap money and he's rolling around naked making it rain while other GMs are filling holes, improving their rosters.
TheBitzMan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they're doing with it is paying rodgers. Report just posted that they want to get him paid before the season.
pmikep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be closer.
A-ROD= 22m
CLAY= 12-13m
BJ= 5-6m Packers could draft replacement !!!!!!
TheBitzMan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151891/article/aaron-rodgers-longterm-contract-priority-for-packers
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
It's actually $26.8 mil including rollover money from last year. Smile But Ron's cap figures for all 3 seem pretty reasonable.

Are you sure? I've got them at $11,771,655 after the AJ Hawk restucture, and then you factor in the 7 million in rollover money and the Packers are at $18,771,655 in cap space. My numbers are a bit off, need to update it.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPackers79 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
Ronald323 wrote:
a-rod 18 mil

clay 12 mil

bj 8 mil

So do you think we have any room to sign a FA?

If you have money left over after extending those three, signing the draft class, and setting aside your "in-season" emergency fund, then you're probably better off rolling over that money to next year.

I mean, you can sign some FAs at close to the vet minimum, sure. But I wouldn't expect to spend any significant money on FAs.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me as a back up K for $15 million, 1 year, fully guaranteed. Pending that I spell my name correctly on the contract. Laughing

My first priority would be extending Clay. His contract is up at the end of the year. I think he is better and more important than Raji. I understand that the Rodgers deal is important. However, he still has 2 years left and we can franchise. While it is probably the correct thing to do, giving him his mega-deal, we don't have to do it. Whether it is sooner or later Rodgers will get his.

I'd also start some dialogue with Jermichael Finley and his people. See if we can't get him a good guarantee but a very heavily performance based contract. I think he would go for it with a respectible upfront paycheck and a potential huge payday if he really earns it.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch that. I've got them at $19,217,486 WITH the rollover included.

Tamba Hali is about an ideal comparison for a Clay Matthews contract extension. Numbers actually seem to favor Hali actually.

Quote:
8/3/2011: Signed a five-year, $57.5 million contract. The deal contains $35 million guaranteed, including a $15 million signing bonus. An annual $250,000 workout bonus is available in years two through five. 2013: $12.25 million, 2014: $6.25 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2015: $6.75 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2016: Free Agent

11.5 to 12 million per year seems about right for Clay. Assuming they keep it relatively flat contract, that's taking about 7.1 million out of our cap space, which puts them at $12,117,486.

As for Raji, Vince Wilfork numbers are probably what Raji's looking at.

Quote:
3/5/2010: Signed a five-year, $40 million contract. The deal contains $25 million guaranteed, including an $18 million signing bonus and Wilfork's first three base salaries. $1.185 million is included via weight bonuses, with an additional $800,000 available through workout bonuses over the life of the contract. 2013: $6.5 million, 2014: $7.5 million, 2015: Free Agent

I'd have to imagine it's backloaded, much like Vince Wilfork's is so assume it opens up another two million in cap space, so you're looking at $14,117,486 or so in cap space. Pencil in another 5 million for draft and UDFA, and you're looking at an extra $9,117,486ish in cap space.

I'd have to imagine that the Packers are going to want to take the brunt of the hit this year and in 2015 when the salary cap is supposed to go up considerably.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: