Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns schedule private workout w/ QB Geno Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
buno67 wrote:
i dont see them getting the best QB in the draft as a horrible move.

Best QB in the draft this year is not saying much. "Compared to the other pile of garbage, he doesn't stink as much!" Hardly a good reason to overdraft him.

You don't take a late first round talent in the top 10 because of his position.

Lots of differing opinions about Geno. Trend (as it always does with QBs in the draft) seems up, though.

Hey, we already spent a 1st round on a guy that probably was 2nd/3rd round value.

Maybe we will move on up (i.e., spend a top 10 on a guy that probably is late 1st value)!

The only positives I've heard on him around here is that he's the best QB in the draft. In a historically bad QB draft, that is not high praise. The most polished turd is still a turd.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
buno67 wrote:

Best QB in the draft this year is not saying much. "Compared to the other pile of garbage, he doesn't stink as much!" Hardly a good reason to overdraft him.

Lots of differing opinions about Geno. Trend (as it always does with QBs in the draft) seems up, though.

Hey, we already spent a 1st round on a guy that probably was 2nd/3rd round value.

Maybe we will move on up (i.e., spend a top 10 on a guy that probably is late 1st value)!

The only positives I've heard on him around here is that he's the best QB in the draft. In a historically bad QB draft, that is not high praise. The most polished turd is still a turd.

Then you need to read more...

I think the only turd here is your uneducated opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
buno67 wrote:

Oooooooooooooooooooh. Good comeback.

Show me a link to a thread where someone is extolling the virtues of Geno Smith on this board. I'll be happy to read it.

You and buno are the only ones beating his drum, and neither of you have given any reason to draft him other than he's a QB.

If you can't provide a link, I will also accept a written explanation as to why you feel he's worth drafting. It would be the first time you posted something other than

"The Browns draft Geno Smith"

or

"I would take Geno Smith"

which is like 15.738% of your posts lately.
roger murdock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
buno67 wrote:

I'd say this is a weak draft at the top everywhere except for offensive tackle. Cornerback is about average at the top.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish he seemed more passionate on the field. A little more vocal and show more displeasure when things go wrong and a little more fire when they go well. All the greats seem to where there emotions on there sleeve in big moments, I've seen it from Farve, Brady, Manning, Rodgers ect. It is one thing I think Weeden lacks to be viewed as the leader of our offense. He just seems too melo and soft spoken for the other guys to take him seriously.

I just want something different for a change. We haven't had a quality leader since Kosar.

Jamison on the sig
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
I wish he seemed more passionate on the field. A little more vocal and show more displeasure when things go wrong and a little more fire when they go well. All the greats seem to where there emotions on there sleeve in big moments, I've seen it from Farve, Brady, Manning, Rodgers ect. It is one thing I think Weeden lacks to be viewed as the leader of our offense. He just seems too melo and soft spoken for the other guys to take him seriously.

I just want something different for a change. We haven't had a quality leader since Kosar.

Too tired to bother looking for the link but even he admitted that he has lots of room for improvement with respect to leadership.

That is rather disturbing when the guy you are talking about in the NFL is already over the 30 hill, especially on a team laced with youngins.
buno67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

you dont need to very emotional or very load to be a leader. I can see Weeden not looking the emotional part because to me he wasnt emotionally all there. to me he felt uncomfortable all season. I say he was uncomfortbale due to his offense and the play calling. He never threw the ball that much undercenter and it seemed like the coaches never had a lot of confidence in him. Like with chud, he shows his confidence and always believe in his QB. Hell in 2007 in the cold of Cincy and wind rocking off the river, Chud believed DA could get the job done even tho his opponets knew it wasnt smart to throw that DA and Palmer threw it like 19times. It seemed like Turner always put a lot of trust and confidence into River. Had to when he picked him over Drew Brees. I think Weeden will look the part as a leader because I see Chud and Norv treating Weeden like he is the leader, something I dont think Shurmur ever did. I also think Weeden prolly never embared the role because of the coaches.

I can live with the QB not being emotional or showing his emotion. I rather him be even keel the entire game instead of being on a roller coaster because too me if a QB can get very jacked up on a good play they can really get down on a bad play.

Like the QB for mentor Turbiksy (sp) the one going to UNC, I watched him his entire career. I was at there elite 8 game vs Iggy this year. It was one of the most exciting games I ever been too. Scoing his teams points to take the lead in the 4th quarter, the kid's emotions never once changed. Everyone around him his jumping for joy and etc. First two over times, he scores, nothing, stone face. In the 3rd overtime when he scores the game winning 2pts, he than celebrated but that was because it just won the game.

when its in game, I dont want the QB showing his emotions or getting too emotionally involved because I want him to stay stable but after the game he can celebrate all he wants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say all 3.....pretty much everything (outside of FA) is a smoke screen right now...and it doesn't hurt to do your due dilligence on a player in case that player falls to you in a favorable spot.

Outside of it being a weak QB draft, I actually like Geno Smith, but, not necessarily at the 6th spot. Smith doesn't exactly scream out "ELITE!", but, he does have (my opinion) a great amount of potential that could or could not blossom depending on his situation and his overall work ethic/character.

I think it's absurd to say he wouldn't be able to adapt to play in Cleveland during the Nov - Dec times, but what does concern me is his mentality...it seems he doesn't really step up when pressured due to the team falling behind on the score board or facing a defense that can actually give him problems. I wouldn't want him at the number 6 spot though, but, showing interest could get us bites for a favorable trade down to get players we do want/need and possibly a 2nd or more.

My hopes is we don't draft a QB this year; instead bring in someone like Jason Campbell and have a true QB competition. Never hurts to have your QBs competiting (at least on a team like the Browns). If Weeden loses the competition or fails to show anything again this year.....then hopefully we can get someone like Tajh Boyd or Terry Bridgewater.
dawgdish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good that we are doing our due diligence, but a moot point b/c some QB needy team is going to take him in the top 5 (which is good for us b/c a blue chip position player will fall down a slot).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
buno67 wrote:

Oooooooooooooooooooh. Good comeback.

Show me a link to a thread where someone is extolling the virtues of Geno Smith on this board. I'll be happy to read it.

You and buno are the only ones beating his drum, and neither of you have given any reason to draft him other than he's a QB.

If you can't provide a link, I will also accept a written explanation as to why you feel he's worth drafting. It would be the first time you posted something other than

"The Browns draft Geno Smith"

or

"I would take Geno Smith"

which is like 15.738% of your posts lately.

BURN! haha Wink jk, of course.

No links to people on this board, just what the NFL experts have been saying more and more. There was a good short clips from his pro-day that the talking heads were at commenting on his performance, combine, seaon, etc. Ive mentioned it a few times and linked things, but dont remember off hand which thread.

Browns taking Geno at 6 just makes too much sense at this point if he is available. fill the holes in FA and draft BPA.... talent, positional value, weeden's flaws, new coaching staff and management, chance of getting the top guy next year without trading away the future in draft picks, money,.... etc. etc. IF, and I mean IF it happens, I would expect Weeden still to have a good chance to start this coming year, and then we will see an attempted trade following year.

Is it what I would personally do? Not ideally... but I think the probability of it happening are growing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to imply that you need to be emmotional to be a good leader or that being you had to be extremely vocal to be a leader. It would just be nice to have an emmotional leader for a change. We have had a bunch of emmotionless robots(DA, Weeden), timmid little boys(McCoy), or airheads(Frye) for leaders.

Jamison on the sig
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

It would be Nice to see a leader with a sack for a change...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
^^

It would be Nice to see a leader with a sack for a change...

I don't get why you'd want Smith then. We have sooo many needs that could be significantly upgraded with our sixth pick, or by trading it down(unlikely). We definitely need to address QB, next year. We can draft an OG who makes our O line arguably the best in the league. We can draft a CB, giving us one of the best CB duos in the league. We can draft a WR/TE giving us one of the most dynamic passing attacks in the league. We can draft an OLB giving is one of the most versatile LB groups in the league. Or we could draft Smith, who may or may not start, and may or may not be a leader. He won't be one of the best QBs in the league. If you really believe he will be, then and only then, does it make sense to draft him. If you want a TE, WR, OG, OLB, ILB, CB, you could make a convincing argument for those positions based on the impact any of those picks will have on the team. Do you really in your heart of hearts think Geno Smith will be as impactful at QB as drafting one of the other positions will be at theirs?

Every time the Browns start a new QB, a puppy dies!
Adopt-A-Browne: Mike Lombardi
2013 stats...2 head coaches fired, &over 300 cups of coffee served daily to Banner.
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:
Do you really in your heart of hearts think Geno Smith will be as impactful at QB as drafting one of the other positions will be at theirs?

Agree.

My personal philosophy on drafting a first round QB is this: even if you think he is a first round value and you like many of the traits he possesses, unless you can genuinely envision him winning the Superbowl, you shouldn't draft him. That's why Gabbert and Ponder going 10th and 12th were mindboggling to me, pre-draft and post-draft. Never in my wildest dreams could I see them beating QB's like Brady, Manning and Rodgers one after the other in the playoffs to win the big game. Same with Tannehill and Weeden, imo Tannehill is going to be decent and Weeden can be too but I don't see them ever being able to do that and win it all. Every year, the league becomes more of a passing league. The playoffs will become more directly about outdueling at least 2, probably more, elite QBs. I personally can't see Geno Smith doing that so if I can't see that, what's the point in drafting him? Even if he is above average or even fairly good, which is something I can see, I'd still view it as the wrong decision to draft him. It would just delay the opportunity to get a true potential SB winning QB for a few more years. That's why I think Miami are in one of the worst positions in the league. Same with a team like STL or HOU. They're banking and building around guys who I personally believe are good, solid QBs but can never and will never win the Superbowl. Trent Dilfer was able to get away with it in 2000 but the QB play in this league is getting better every year. I really doubt you'll see a mediocre QB win the big game again anytime soon.

Don't draft a QB to be your guy if you cannot realistically imagine him winning the Superbowl.

Of course I never thought Flacco was a QB that could beat Luck, Manning, Brady and Kaepernick one after the other, throwing 12TDs and 0INTs... so it all comes down to how YOU grade out the QB.

Saying that, I wouldn't draft any QB this year with the intention of them being my franchise QB. Simply because I can't imagine any of them winning the Superbowl.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most recetn grading on Geno has him "just a notch behind RG3 and Luck last year." - to use Morts words. Given that Luck was a once in a decade or two(?) prospect and RG3 become an instant superstar, Id say that is very high grading grading on him. Some Fans dont like to here it, but the professional thoughts on Geno seem to be very high. You can have a different opinion of course, but I value the professionals more on this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: