Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Solid little known prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Stoneburner, TE, Ohio State: scouts predicting him as a late round pick and its laughable. He's got better skills than Jake Ballard. He'll be a Steal for someone, Hopefully for the steelers in the 6th or 7th.

matt Furstenberg, TE, UMD: he's got a lot of talent but gets lost because of how poor UMD's qb situation has been the last two seasons. He's a steal as a 7th rnd pick or udfa.

OT: Oday Aboushi, Tanner Hawkinson, Jeff Braun, OT, West Virginia, Elvis Fisher, OT, Missouri : all of these OTs have talent IMO to be something. Wouldn't surprise me if any of them turned out to be starters within the west few years.

Brian Winters, OT/G, Kent State, Garrett Gilkey, G, Chadron State, J.C. Tretter, G, Cornell: again, smaller schools, blah, blah, blah these boys can block and are tough OL with NFL bodies. Some may be starters although they'll be late round picks

Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss: fast and physical, this guys just seems like a steeler to me. 6'3, 250 lbs and someone who we can get in the mod rounds and develop for a bit before turning him lose.

Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky: 6'5 250 monster an ACL tear sunk his draft stock but he has talent. If we're patient with honors worth the risk. Smith started the year well with a three-sack game against D.J. Fluker who couldnt block him and Fluker might go round 1. Smith's sacks came in bunches this season. He has four games with sacks and eight games without any. Smith had five sacks against Florida International.

Nathan Williams, DE/OLB OSU: much like Jake Stoneburner it's shocking people consider him a late round pick. He's got alot of talent and production also. He could be a late round steal.

Tom Wort*, ILB, Oklahoma: surprisingly, no one ever mentions him as a possible late round pick. He was productive while at OU. Probably should have went back to school, but If you get him late in the draft now and develop in your scheme, he'll be a steal.

A lot small school cbs everyone thinks will shock people: Robert Alford, CB, Southeast Louisiana; Will Davis, Utah St; Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State; BW Webb, CB, William & Marry- i don't see how Tomlin doesn't take him Cool Laughing ;

Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond: this kid has SS written all over him 6'5 235 lbs, heavy hitter. He'd be like an extra LB on the field with some coverage ability. He was a standout of the e-w shrine game, was all mover the field. He has a lot of developmental skills, if he can't play safety he could be a reserve ILB and primarily special teams payer.

Brandon Bishop, S, NC, ST: overshadowed by Amerson and Wolf, Bishop quietly has put together a few solid years at safety for NC ST.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kilgannon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety - Rontez Miles - California (PA) 6/200
QB - Peter Lalich - California (PA) 6-4/235
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilgannon wrote:
Safety - Rontez Miles - California (PA) 6/200QB - Peter Lalich - California (PA) 6-4/235

Actually really like him and could easily see Tomlin using one of the sixths or the 7th on him.
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Jake Stoneburner, TE, Ohio State: scouts predicting him as a late round pick and its laughable. He's got better skills than Jake Ballard. He'll be a Steal for someone, Hopefully for the steelers in the 6th or 7th.

matt Furstenberg, TE, UMD: he's got a lot of talent but gets lost because of how poor UMD's qb situation has been the last two seasons. He's a steal as a 7th rnd pick or udfa.

OT: Oday Aboushi, Tanner Hawkinson, Jeff Braun, OT, West Virginia, Elvis Fisher, OT, Missouri : all of these OTs have talent IMO to be something. Wouldn't surprise me if any of them turned out to be starters within the west few years.

Brian Winters, OT/G, Kent State, Garrett Gilkey, G, Chadron State, J.C. Tretter, G, Cornell: again, smaller schools, blah, blah, blah these boys can block and are tough OL with NFL bodies. Some may be starters although they'll be late round picks

Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss: fast and physical, this guys just seems like a steeler to me. 6'3, 250 lbs and someone who we can get in the mod rounds and develop for a bit before turning him lose.

Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky: 6'5 250 monster an ACL tear sunk his draft stock but he has talent. If we're patient with honors worth the risk. Smith started the year well with a three-sack game against D.J. Fluker who couldnt block him and Fluker might go round 1. Smith's sacks came in bunches this season. He has four games with sacks and eight games without any. Smith had five sacks against Florida International.

Nathan Williams, DE/OLB OSU: much like Jake Stoneburner it's shocking people consider him a late round pick. He's got alot of talent and production also. He could be a late round steal.

Tom Wort*, ILB, Oklahoma: surprisingly, no one ever mentions him as a possible late round pick. He was productive while at OU. Probably should have went back to school, but If you get him late in the draft now and develop in your scheme, he'll be a steal.

A lot small school cbs everyone thinks will shock people: Robert Alford, CB, Southeast Louisiana; Will Davis, Utah St; Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State; BW Webb, CB, William & Marry- i don't see how Tomlin doesn't take him Cool Laughing ;

Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond: this kid has SS written all over him 6'5 235 lbs, heavy hitter. He'd be like an extra LB on the field with some coverage ability. He was a standout of the e-w shrine game, was all mover the field. He has a lot of developmental skills, if he can't play safety he could be a reserve ILB and primarily special teams payer.

Brandon Bishop, S, NC, ST: overshadowed by Amerson and Wolf, Bishop quietly has put together a few solid years at safety for NC ST.
Would be a much better ILB prospect, guy likes to be where the action is, seems to get bored on the outside.
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
just letting you know that at Utah's Pro Day (which is going on right now) the Steelers scout is spending a lot of time with Joe Kruger. They are putting him through several drills and just talking to him. Could be nothing but I'm guessing he is someone that the Steelers will be looking at come draft day.

From watching Joe I can tell you that he is very similar to his brother Paul but has some differences. He will take a year or 2 to develope (he really should have stayed in school 1 more year). He would have had impressive numbers this year but a ankle injury kept him sidelined for a chunk of the season. He is not as strong as Paul and doesn't use his hands as well, but he has great length and is great at batting balls down and using it to his advantage. My guess is that he will end up going a little higher than he should because of his name (probably 4th-5th).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: draft Reply with quote

thanks for that update jonny
steelers75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: draft Reply with quote

good info turtle. some interesting names to watch for in the back half of the draft.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomlin is at the Tenn Pro day talking to Bray.

Quote:
Hunter, a wide receiver and former track star, beat his two impressive jump times from the combine. He registered a 40.5-inch vertical jump and 11-6 in the broad jump.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/woodbery/2013/03/tennessee-pro-day-live-updates-as-former-vols-try-to-measure-up-for-nfl-scouts.html

Patterson grew 3/4 of an inch from the combine Surprised

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
kilgannon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
kilgannon wrote:
Safety - Rontez Miles - California (PA) 6/200QB - Peter Lalich - California (PA) 6-4/235

Actually really like him and could easily see Tomlin using one of the sixths or the 7th on him.

From what I have seen of him on YouTube the guy catches almost everything he gets his hands on. Would love to have a safety like that
JLambert58

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Nice job Turtle. I'll have to check these guys out.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
Hey guys,
just letting you know that at Utah's Pro Day (which is going on right now) the Steelers scout is spending a lot of time with Joe Kruger. They are putting him through several drills and just talking to him. Could be nothing but I'm guessing he is someone that the Steelers will be looking at come draft day.

From watching Joe I can tell you that he is very similar to his brother Paul but has some differences. He will take a year or 2 to develope (he really should have stayed in school 1 more year). He would have had impressive numbers this year but a ankle injury kept him sidelined for a chunk of the season. He is not as strong as Paul and doesn't use his hands as well, but he has great length and is great at batting balls down and using it to his advantage. My guess is that he will end up going a little higher than he should because of his name (probably 4th-5th).

Thanks for the update Jonny.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Hayden CB

Right now is #3 on Mike Mayocks board and if not for a life threatening injury could of been rated as a potential 1st-2nd round pick.

Had a great pro day running his 40 in 4.33, 33.5 vert, 10 broad jump.

This kid before injury had 4 picks 2 went for TD, FF, FR and that was with 3 games remaining.

Houston Pro Day

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1554958-2013-nfl-draft-why-safety-john-boyett-provides-great-value-in-the-later-rounds

So to add to this tread about late round steals, today I found an article about John Boyett who's tumbled down the draft boards because of injury and he was tough in 2011 playing through two torn tendons. Boyett has 2nd round, possibly 1st round talent and if we don't take a FS early (or wven of we do) taking Boyett in the late rounds to develop would be a smart idea.

Quote:

04/10/2013 - Napa's John Boyett worked out for eight NFL teams today, running the 40-yard dash, catching passes and doing different drills in his Pro Day at Napa Memorial Stadium. Boyett, who starred at the University of Oregon as a free safety, was clocked at 4.57 in the 40. He also talked with scouts from each of the teams afterward. Officials from the San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, Indianapolis Colts, Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos, Cleveland Browns and New York Giants were on the field to time and check out Boyett in the 45-minute workout.
Boyett looked sharp as he went through a battery of drills - backpedaling and cutting and catching passes thrown by Ted LeMasters, a former Napa High quarterback who played college baseball at Long Beach State and the University of San Francisco. Boyett said he still isn't at full strength, but was happy with the way everything went. He has been doing rehab and training six days a week. There was a light wind that he was running directly into. He caught each of the 11 passes thrown to him, sometimes having to react and run to a ball on the opposite side of the field.

"Everything I heard was great stuff," he said. "They were very surprised with how well I moved and they're excited to see what I do when I get into camp. "It felt great just to be out here on the football field. This field means a lot to me. Teddy came out here and helped me do a workout. It was just fun being out here. We have a lot of good memories in this stadium." Boyett has been medically cleared for workouts. "I was very happy just to come out here and just be able to run around a little bit, let alone impress the teams the way I did. They were very impressed with how fast I ran for only being a little over five months on a six-month recovery. In a month I'll be faster and better than I am right now." - Marty James, Napa Valley Register

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1540250-hidden-gems-at-every-position-in-the-2013-nfl-draft-class?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Here is an article of some Hidden Gems they feel are the draft.

1. EJ Manuel, QB- FSU
2. Knile Davis, RB- Ark
3. Zach Line, FB- SMU
4. Da'Rick Rogers, WR- Tenn tech
5. Vance McDonald, TE- Rice
6. Ricky Wagner, T- Wisconsin
7. Brian Winters, G- Kent State
8. Khaled Holmes, C- USC
9. Corey Lemonier, Auburn- DE/OLB
10. Trevardo Williams, Connecticut- 3-4 Olb
11. AJ Klein, ISU- ILB

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
95lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
kilgannon wrote:

He has a Steelers tattoo on his shoulder so I think he'd be ok with us drafting him.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Moe, WR, Mizzou:

5'11.5" 206

4.74 40 (slowest at Combine)

...but...

3.96 20yd shuttle
6.53 3 Cone
10.87 60yd shuttle
26 Reps

...all Combine bests for WRs

Solid route runner, strong, decent blocker, tough, leader, and large hands (9 7/8"), very sure-handed and can take hits and hold on to the ball.

Slot WR only, but one of those guys that is dependable and with those shuttle/3 cone times, should be a great inside route runner and be able to get open.

Anyway, wouldn't mind spending a 6th/7th on this guy.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!

C0LTSFAN4L1F3 wrote:
Sorry bud but the winning has nothing to do with the QBs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: