Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

has the Love Boat finally sunk?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: has the Love Boat finally sunk? Reply with quote

Zygi Wilf installed, as a new owner, what he called a Culture of Accountability. but several times since then, accountability among players to the team's ethics was tested and came up short. in that, players committed offenses but seemed to not be held accountable, at least to the highest degree (loss of job.)

have we seen a shift now to actually holding the team and coaches to high standards? are we at least seeing it via the drafting of high character, low trouble-making young men?

if so, what has happened with the Vikings to finally make this shift? is it Frazier as coach? is it Spielman as GM?

when did the shift start to take place, the sudden shipping off of McKinnie perhaps?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I with you, their actions did not match their words.....

I think as they've slowly sent guys packing, they have not added guys that have had issues. I think it is likely they have just been lucky lastely. Let's see what happens the next time someone allegedly does something really stupid/bad/wrong, but it does appear something has changed.

I'd guess it is Frazier/Spielman, but that's a total guess.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Let's see what happens the next time someone allegedly does something really stupid/bad/wrong

Percy Harvin...?

it could be argued that even though he wasn't breaking any laws, his conduct wasn't in line with the ethics of the team, and the expectations of players.

Webmaster wrote:
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
Let's see what happens the next time someone allegedly does something really stupid/bad/wrong

Percy Harvin...?

it could be argued that even though he wasn't breaking any laws, his conduct wasn't in line with the ethics of the team, and the expectations of players.

True, but I think that was about three things:

1. Not exactly fitting into what they want....other than he played super hard
2. Realizing he did not want to be here, and odds were they would not re-sign him even if they wanted to
3. Realizing they did not want to pay someone with this much up and down risk that much money

let's see what happens when a good player, who wants to be on the team, does something stupid*

*if none ever does something, I'll be both shocked, and thrilled.
eman9416

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when Jerome Felton, a no-named possible FB, got a DUI? I thought they would cut him instantly. I like what they are doing, giving people a little slack. Sometimes they just make one mistak
vikings209

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Jerome Felton's DUI. I think that's pretty stupid but the team hung on to him. I just think its as case by case type of thing. But it does seem like we have been drafting better character people.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying that I necessarily disagree/agree.

Was it b/c of offenses committed or because of on feild play?
McKinnie was primarily cut due to his play.
Harvin is not that relevant as he didnt committ any offenses.

We do have Cook, Simpson, Everson, Felton on the team.
They are on the team b/c of talent.

I dont think its a clear on way or another.
By Rick did preach high character alot in his 2012 draftees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all human, I'm not paying these guys the couple million dollars to play a game... so I guess sometimes you just have to say 'is it worth the risk'?
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We aren't investing major resources in the guys with the major issues. That to me is the biggest change.

None of those guys are core pieces of our future 5-10 years down the road. We have high character guys in positions of leadership, which allows you to take chances on guys for cheap once you got that core structure in place.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
McKinnie was primarily cut due to his play.

i think McK was cut more because of a lack of dedication and poor attitude, which showed up in his weight gain.

Webmaster wrote:
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think of guys who some considered to not have a great work ethic or character coming out of college, but seem to have turned the corner now, this is one of them. So, it appears that they've done a good job thus far at evaluating the character of some "risky" players.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Everson-Griffen-Leads-MiNi-Vikings-Combine/a4af4e8e-4465-4654-95c3-7de59cfb6df1

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Vikes really dont have any problem children. Chris Cook may be the closest, but it seems he may be turning a corner.

Everyone once in awhile there is a random incident, but those type of issues cant be avoided as a team. its the continuous issues with teh same group of players that character becomes a concern.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if getting the new stadium bill passed had anything to do with it. Could it be that before getting the stadium approved, maybe Zygi felt a lot more pressure to "win now" and this caused him to overlook some of the character issues for the short term? Maybe now that he has his stadium in the bag he can implement his true strategy - one that will take longer to build a team with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer that every sports team has its "issues" that could warrant public scrutiny, whether it be player character/conduct, coaches, or ownership actions.

In case of the Love Boat, all of the starring cast members have been cast-off and most are out of the NFL. The culture at Vikings HQ has filtered down over time, and it took longer than one could suspect the Wilfs wanted due to the triangle of authority.

Childress did not handle many things well and kept the negative spotlight firmly on the Vikings (i.e. fining Williamson for taking off to funeral), which of course imploded with the 2nd year of the Bret Favre experience and Randy Moss' short return.

Now, it appears the Wilf's have a GM and HC in place that work well together and exhibit cool-headed, calm demeanors. The reports are the players genuinely love playing for Frazier; however, the recent handling of Percy and Antione can allow one to wonder how ruthless Frazier and Spielman are. These two moves are considerably different, and it would've been more respectable for the Antione cut to be handled more professionally (if Windfield was working out in the facility, call him up to the office and talk with him face to face). Percy, on the otherhand, apparently had Frazier down-playing the severity of the problems to excess. Then, boom - Seattle offered a trade ya couldn't refuse, and wooohooo, the Vikes are brilliant . . . tell me there wasn't posturing going on there for months. . . . lol.

In the end, the next generation of Love Boaters might just be around the corner -- but I'd be willing to bet the public won't find out if it exists! Wink
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
The reports are the players genuinely love playing for Frazier; however, the recent handling of Percy and Antione can allow one to wonder how ruthless Frazier and Spielman are. These two moves are considerably different, and it would've been more respectable for the Antione cut to be handled more professionally (if Windfield was working out in the facility, call him up to the office and talk with him face to face).

He did. (at least I thought he did)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: