Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No RGIII in 2013!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
No.
This is what you do...

You draft a Rookie in THIS DRAFT (whomever is maybe there in the 5th rd..tyler bray?...Landry Jones?..whomever) Maybe re-sign Rex or another vet.

Go into preseason games giving LOTS of time to cousins, then the other *new* rookie & maybe rex for cleanup work.

You sit RG3 ALL preseason (even if he can play)

You play Cousins & give him a chance to light it up in Pre Season..look good,etc.

Then When WK-1 comes...You put Cousins on the trade block for a 2014 draft pick If not try to trade him before the season begins if there are injuries.

I have little doubt, he could net us a 2nd rd draft choice or more, if he looks very promising.
TRADE HIM!

WK-1 rolls around.

Start RG3
Rookie backs up RG3, with Rex or other Veteran in the 3rd spot. (this could be vice versa as well) depending how the coaches like the rookie.

Cousins is not going to want to be RG3's backup for his entire career. He believes he can start in this league & I agree with him.

Trade him now....while you can get something for him. Otherwise, we will lose him for zilch.
But 1st, we much showcase him.
Now is our chance with RG3 recovering from injury.

Either way, I'm of the position that whatever we do....

We need to have 3 QB's on the roster come opening Season.
If for nothing else...than just a precaution.

While Cousins believes he can start in the NFL, (as every single drafted QB does) he has mentioned if he spends 12 years as RG3's backup he is OK with that.

I've gone over this Cousins thing in so much detail I just don't have the time to rehash it again and again and again and again

We are not trading him this year, even for a high draft pick.
Will never ever happen this year with the uncertainty at the position.. Shanahan drafted Cousins for a reason. Cousins is going to show everyone why this year

Everyone needs to stop dreaming and playing fantasy GM because it is just not happening this year, probably not even next either....
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
I've gone over this Cousins thing in so much detail I just don't have the time to rehash it again and again and again and again

Will never ever happen this year with the uncertainty at the position.. Shanahan drafted Cousins for a reason. Cousins is going to show everyone why this year

Everyone needs to stop dreaming and playing fantasy GM because it is just not happening this year, probably not even next either....
too bad the chiefs traded for Alex Smith... Right? Wink

I guess there's still hope for Arizona or buffalo but I generally do agree with Rg3 being hurt it keeps Cousins around for a while.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

I guess there's still hope for Arizona or buffalo but I generally do agree with Rg3 being hurt it keeps Cousins around for a while.

No, not right. You didn't get the point I made 100 X since this idea came up the first time

Who the Chiefs, Arizona, Buffalo, trades for is irrelevant. BECAUSE COUSINS IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE THIS YEAR.
And probably not next year either.

Why is there HOPE for AZ or Buff???? Quit Hoping he's leaving because he's not.
No Chance No Hope of that this year

If Cousins leaves this year he will be riding a unicorn out of here
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

No, not right. You didn't get the point I made 100 X since this idea came up the first time

Who the Chiefs, Arizona, Buffalo, trades for is irrelevant. BECAUSE COUSINS IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE THIS YEAR.

well that became apparent to me when RG3 tore two ligaments in his right knee and the meniscus becsuse our coach thinks short term and not long term future. Before that happened, I think there was certainly a chance if we were offered a late 1st or 2nd, we'd move Cousins, re-sign Grossman and draft a Tyler Bray or Landry Jones in this draft.

It was a totally possible outcome, but with Rg3 injured Cousins will be here for one more year, maybe two before he's moved for a higher draft pick than what we used on him.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

well that became apparent to me when RG3 tore two ligaments in his right knee and the meniscus becsuse our coach thinks short term and not long term future. Before that happened, I think there was certainly a chance if we were offered a late 1st or 2nd, we'd move Cousins, re-sign Grossman and draft a Tyler Bray or Landry Jones in this draft.

It was a totally possible outcome, but with Rg3 injured Cousins will be here for one more year, maybe two before he's moved for a higher draft pick than what we used on him.

Another pointless dig at our coach. You take every opportunity to rip our FO. IF OUR COACH WASN'T THINKING LONG-TERM HE WOULDN"T HAVE DRAFTED COUSINS,

You know what I'm done with this forum for a while

Have fun thinking you know more than a coach who just got us an NFC East division championship.

Yeah you know so much more keep on acting like you do

I'm done with this forum for a while because it seems like all anyone does is argue about the same old stuff. Prove that it is a futile argument and it is still bound to come up over and over and over

Maybe you should try coaching a Pop-Warner team so you u can learn what it takes. But nah you know more than a SuperBowl winning coach who you ripped when he came here saying it was all Elway and Shanahan hasn't done anything for X years etc.etc.etc.etc.

I defended drafting Cousins and now I have to defend Keeping him?? again and again and again

It is always the same old ish. Nothing our coaches do will ever convince some people that they don't know more than a proven HC who will probably end up in the HOF

Yes, he has made mistakes --- he is human. But I am tired of defending every single move from our so-called fans who are salivating to sink their teeth into our FO

I am not behind every move they make but I don't sit and lurk and wait to rip Shanahan every chance I can

Goodbye and have fun arguing with whoever you can sucker into it
mrdriii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That was a slight meltdown.

Thanx Mike23MD for the sig!!
bowilson11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Another pointless dig at our coach. You take every opportunity to rip our FO. IF OUR COACH WASN'T THINKING LONG-TERM HE WOULDN"T HAVE DRAFTED COUSINS,

You know what I'm done with this forum for a while

Have fun thinking you know more than a coach who just got us an NFC East division championship.

Yeah you know so much more keep on acting like you do

I'm done with this forum for a while because it seems like all anyone does is argue about the same old stuff. Prove that it is a futile argument and it is still bound to come up over and over and over

Maybe you should try coaching a Pop-Warner team so you u can learn what it takes. But nah you know more than a SuperBowl winning coach who you ripped when he came here saying it was all Elway and Shanahan hasn't done anything for X years etc.etc.etc.etc.

I defended drafting Cousins and now I have to defend Keeping him?? again and again and again

It is always the same old ish. Nothing our coaches do will ever convince some people that they don't know more than a proven HC who will probably end up in the HOF

Yes, he has made mistakes --- he is human. But I am tired of defending every single move from our so-called fans who are salivating to sink their teeth into our FO

I am not behind every move they make but I don't sit and lurk and wait to rip Shanahan every chance I can

Goodbye and have fun arguing with whoever you can sucker into it
I agree that we will be keeping Kirk Cousins for the 2013 season and that's mainly due to RG III's injury. But make No Mistake when RG III is 100% which will be around mid-season, Kirk Cousins is trade bait in 2014. If he performs well in 2013, I think he should start the whole season. In 2014, he is gone like the wind. There's no way he's on our roster in 2014, if he has a good season. And I'm almost certain he will get us a 1st Round pick in return.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dcred, how's that Secondary looking??? Laughing Wink Wink

Actually if Shanahan was thinking longterm term last playoffs, he would have played Cousins in the second half, but he didn't. Everyone knows that except Shanahan apologists. Confused

I haven't taken a big dig at Shanahan in some time, well not a horrible one like I don't think he's going to work out.

Calm down buddy, you have always mistaken my feelings about Cousins and you're doing it again. Ilike the guy, i just look at other areas of the team where we have basically NO talent and I want our all around talent to be better. We don't have 1st round picks for this year and next year, so if we can get one of those back for Cousins so you could get a top DB, RT, Ilb, or NT, why wouldn't you do it?

I could be wrong, but It just seems you actually like Cousins more than the redskins sometimes, I don't know. I just think if you can get great value for a player and that player can be replaced on your roster because he's a reserve you better do it. This takes me back to the days when we discussed if we should trade Cooley or Fred in 09/10 or Laron Landry during the same time period. In retrospect we probably should have made those moves, Eball was was right all along.

For example, I love Brian Orakpo but I could live with trading him and keeping Rob Jackson at ROLB if we could get a top 10 pick and something else good. Like say we traded him and could take Milner, Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson and we'd also get a current player we needed.

The deal has to make sense. I don't understand why you can't see that Cousins isn't going to play 15 years behind Rg3 because he CAN start and if we ever get offered a high pick for him and it's not in our division we shouldn't pass it up.

Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:45 am; edited 3 times in total
TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have discussed this on other boards also. Honestly if up to me I would keep him out until week 8 and then evaluate the situation.

If we are terrible, keep him out, no need to expose him to danger this year
If we have a chance for the playoffs/division title and Captain Kirk is playing great, still keep him out

But if the QB play is keeping us average, say 4-4 or 3-5 then he plays.

Personally I feel Cousins will play great, and we will be 5-3 at the halfway mark so i would not make a change until maybe the playoffs.

As for trading Cousins this year, i swear people need to stay off the pipe. You guys are forgetting even if RGIII is close to 100% physically by week one is he going to be football ready? Remember he will have had zero OTAs zero mini camps, zero preseason games and limited practice,

So I hope some of you are not suggesting we go into the season with a QB coming off a MAJOR injury, with little practice and Rex as a backup and another QB that knows nothing about our system.

Last edited by TheGreeK1973 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
bowilson11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreeK1973 wrote:
We have discussed this on other boards also. Honestly if up to me I would keep him out until week 8 and then evaluate the situation.

If we have a chance for the playoffs/division title and Captain Kirk is playing great, still keep him out

Personally I feel Cousins will play great, and we will be 5-3 at the halfway mark so i would not make a change until maybe the playoffs.

Remember guys RGIII would have almost zero practice, no preseason games, etc. Difficult situation and high risk one.
Makes perfect sense to me. I Totally agree with you on all points.
bowilson11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the plus to all this is giving Kirk Cousins an audition for all those QB needy team out there for 2014. You would be surprised (or maybe not) what teams are willing to give up for a franchise type QB. I personnally think Cousins will go somewhere and be their starter for several years and have a decent career. If we could garner a top-15 pick for him next year and I think that would bring JOY to Redskins Nation. There are some talented players coming out next year and I would love to have the opportunty to grab either Marquise Lee or Sammie Watkins to play catch with RG III. Not to mention that we will be about 20 MILLION under the salary cap. Hey I can live with Cousin and a 9 and 7 season in 2013 if he gets us a 1st round pick in 2014. Just saying.....
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreeK1973 wrote:

As for trading Cousins this year, i swear people need to stay off the pipe. You guys are forgetting even if RGIII is close to 100% physically by week one is he going to be football ready? Remember he will have had zero OTAs zero mini camps, zero preseason games and limited practice,

So I hope some of you are not suggesting we go into the season with a QB coming off a MAJOR injury, with little practice and Rex as a backup and another QB that knows nothing about our system.
good post and that's what I was saying before. Once Rg3 was injured I knew we wouldn't be trading cousins this year and depending on how rg3 looks when he comes back, we may not be trading him next year but I have to think at some time when RG3 is back to 100% we will certainly entertain the thought because when Cousins becomes a FA we will lose him for no compensation, that's an almost 100% fact.

turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowilson11 wrote:
I feel the plus to all this is giving Kirk Cousins an audition for all those QB needy team out there for 2014. You would be surprised (or maybe not) what teams are willing to give up for a franchise type QB. I personnally think Cousins will go somewhere and be their starter for several years and have a decent career. If we could garner a top-15 pick for him next year and I think that would bring JOY to Redskins Nation. There are some talented players coming out next year and I would love to have the opportunty to grab either Marquise Lee or Sammie Watkins to play catch with RG III. Not to mention that we will be about 20 MILLION under the salary cap. Hey I can live with Cousin and a 9 and 7 season in 2013 if he gets us a 1st round pick in 2014. Just saying.....
well joy to most of redskins nation except the very few that seem to like cousins more than they like the redskins and want us to keep him as a back up instead of making our weaknesses better like DB and RT which will make the team better. We can always find a new back up with a mid round pick but we certainly need more draft picks if we are going to continue to build this franchise around rg3 because its his team (not cousins') and we need to make it complete for Rg3 so he will take us to the promise land.

Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowilson11 wrote:

The problem with this is that the 2014 QB class looks pretty solid.

You have the headliners: Aaron Murray, A.J. McCarron, and Teddy Bridgewater (if he chooses to declare). You also have some interesting prospects in Logan Thomas (needs to seriously rebound from his junior year), Tajh Boyd, Zach Mettenberger, Keith Price, and Derek Carr. If Casey Pachall could get his head on straight, he could be up there as well.

So, you would be trying to trade Cousins in a seller's market. We can debate Cousins going in the second because this draft class is so weak. Next year? Doesn't look as likely.
bowilson11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
bowilson11 wrote:

The problem with this is that the 2014 QB class looks pretty solid.

You have the headliners: Aaron Murray, A.J. McCarron, and Teddy Bridgewater (if he chooses to declare). You also have some interesting prospects in Logan Thomas (needs to seriously rebound from his junior year), Tajh Boyd, Zach Mettenberger, Keith Price, and Derek Carr. If Casey Pachall could get his head on straight, he could be up there as well.

So, you would be trying to trade Cousins in a seller's market. We can debate Cousins going in the second because this draft class is so weak. Next year? Doesn't look as likely.
You are correct about nexy yea'rs draft class. My question to you is how many of them have played against NFL defenses? How many have played in clutch NFL playoff-type situations and carried their teams to a win? A lot of college QBs have potential, but how many really pan out to be what their potential suggest (Ponder, Gabbert, Russell, etc.). Kirk Cousins will have veteran's status after this year. Tested versus Untested is the question teams have to ask themselves and I think that somebody will take a flyer on the Tested Cousins because he is still young, has NFL game experience and is still under his rookie contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: