Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why do the Steelers keep there 1st round pick?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11913
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Why do the Steelers keep there 1st round pick? Reply with quote

With how the Steelers hold on to veteran players and rarely play draft picks. Why not move around more to acquire picks for the future. Especially the 1st pick which by all accounts first few years are wasted. The Steelers are normally need a 1-3 players in each draft that need to produce.

We can all agree that there are quite a few 2nd round and later picks the Steelers could use to fill voids on the team. I'd rather have them trade out of the first round acquire a first for next year. When the draft comes around next year they'll have two first know matter where they are located. They can use those draft picks either on a set of players or package them to moved around.

The Steelers aren't a team that consistently needs new talent because of how they build there roster. I'm not saying that should be the thinking every year, but for a team such as the Steelers I believe it should happen more often then not.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 25065
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of....

Casey Hampton
Troy Polamula
Ben Roethlisberger
Alan Faneca
Heath Miller
Lawerence Timmons


We've hit big on most of our 1st rounders and got a lot of our impact players in the 1st.

Our track record in the 1st is much better than in any other round lately.
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JustPlainNasty


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 7099
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a trading partner and you have to get value for your pick, the second round despite all our beliefs doesn't always pan out as well so it would depend on the year as value in the 2nd is a season by season variable.
_________________
Dcash4 wrote:


...you have a forum resume?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11913
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Because of....

Casey Hampton
Troy Polamula
Ben Roethlisberger
Alan Faneca
Heath Miller
Lawerence Timmons


We've hit big on most of our 1st rounders and got a lot of our impact players in the 1st.

Our track record in the 1st is much better than in any other round lately.


Only one of them is with in the past 7 years! The Steelers pretty much knew they would be retaining a lot of players. So why during certain years don't they just trade the pick.

JustPlainNasty wrote:
You need a trading partner and you have to get value for your pick, the second round despite all our beliefs doesn't always pan out as well so it would depend on the year as value in the 2nd is a season by season variable.


I understand that but for the right price there are gullible teams. I know hindsight is 20/20 but these last few years only Pouncey and Timmons have made significant contributions. With Ziggy being the sqare peg round whole player in the bunch.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 13640
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that they didnt stick around but Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes had pretty good careers too.

Rashard Mendenhall was high potential, he just turned out to be fragile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64630
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always want the best talent you can get. Period
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49976
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
You need a trading partner and you have to get value for your pick, the second round despite all our beliefs doesn't always pan out as well so it would depend on the year as value in the 2nd is a season by season variable.


THIS X1000000000000000000000000, and is pretty much the only thing that needs to be said.

It gets annoying when fans act like trading down is as simple as just wanting to do it and then doing it. I, as much as anyone, would like to see us trade down this year. Im not holding my breath and I wont be upset if we dont.

The only way Id ever be mad that we didnt trade down is if I somehow got info that the Steelers had a good deal to move down and didnt take it, and then reached on a player.

Ill also add that the Steelers stay true to their board. Colbert has said that they have listened to trade offers in the past, but said if there is a player they like they will take that player. Fans may not like the player on their draft board, but its not our call.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 13640
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what 43.said of all the years to have a mid first round pick and even want to consider trading down..this has to be the worst. EVERY position has HUGE question makes. Even the elite talent isn't lined in silver. There is always trades in the first round. Always. This is the one year I think there may only be one trade, if any. The problem is, where do you truly value these guys who have so much questionable value. I don't think anyone behind us is going to want to trade uo because of the belief they can get someone just as good by sitting still.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64630
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I get that they didnt stick around but Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes had pretty good careers too.

Rashard Mendenhall was high potential, he just turned out to be fragile.
while true, mendenhall's career isn't close to being over. He could go to AZ and have several 1200 yard years
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 13640
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
I get that they didnt stick around but Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes had pretty good careers too.

Rashard Mendenhall was high potential, he just turned out to be fragile.
while true, mendenhall's career isn't close to being over. He could go to AZ and have several 1200 yard years


Excellent point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JustPlainNasty


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 7099
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be trades. There will very likely be a move in the top 10 to get Geno, good luck with that.

There will even more likely be a move up into the first to get EJ Manuel.

Barkley & Nassib also remain possible move ups from the early second to the first.

Lotulelei and Jarvis Jones may draw moves by teams as well.
_________________
Dcash4 wrote:


...you have a forum resume?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64630
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
I get that they didnt stick around but Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes had pretty good careers too.

Rashard Mendenhall was high potential, he just turned out to be fragile.
while true, mendenhall's career isn't close to being over. He could go to AZ and have several 1200 yard years


Excellent point.
knowong this franchises luck lately, he and Arians will probably make a great team again and he will.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG


Last edited by turtle28 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 25065
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
There will be trades. There will very likely be a move in the top 10 to get Geno, good luck with that.

There will even more likely be a move up into the first to get EJ Manuel.

Barkley & Nassib also remain possible move ups from the early second to the first.

Lotulelei and Jarvis Jones may draw moves by teams as well.


ummm... ok... whats your point?
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 25065
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
I get that they didnt stick around but Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes had pretty good careers too.

Rashard Mendenhall was high potential, he just turned out to be fragile.
while true, mendenhall's career isn't close to being over. He could go to AZ and have several 1200 yard years


Excellent point.
knowong this franchises luck lately, he and Arians will probably make a great team again and he will.


Huh?
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64630
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
There will be trades. There will very likely be a move in the top 10 to get Geno, good luck with that.

There will even more likely be a move up into the first to get EJ Manuel.

Barkley & Nassib also remain possible move ups from the early second to the first.

Lotulelei and Jarvis Jones may draw moves by teams as well.


ummm... ok... whats your point?
i think he means they may want to trade up with us, but it definitely is off topic
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group