Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Raiders DB Connections - Scheme and Fit Drive Value

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xDD80x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Packers Raiders DB Connections - Scheme and Fit Drive Value Reply with quote

Green Bay is currently linked to Oakland DB Michael Huff. If the signing occurs it continues an 11 year Packer-Raider DB connection tradition.

Ignoring the 2002 signing of Darien Gordon (brief KR/PR stint), it all started in around 2003. The Dolphins moved away from their highly physical man-press scheme, leaving the Packers and Raiders as the only 2 teams to run it extensively. Since then EVERY SINGLE YEAR has featured a Raiders-Packers DB connection. Many of these years featured interesting draft moves where one team would jump ahead of the other by one slot in the draft to take a DB.

Darrien Gordon, former OAK DB signs with GB to return punts (this one is a throw in, the fun begins in 2003)

Chris Johnson - GB traded a future 6th to take him in the 7th, JSOnline article reports OAK admitted plans to draft Johnson, who would later go on to play many years in OAK.

Derek Combs - switches from OAK to GB

Marques Anderson - cut by GB after 2 years, immediately signed by OAK

(As an aside, this is the year that scarcity drives the Packers to select Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas with their first 2 picks. Going back and reading old scouting reports on these guys you can understand why they were picked. Watching NFL film on them, not so much.)

Fabian Washington OAK drafts after trading immediately in front of GB 1 spot ahead of GB in the 1st round. GB gets stuck with QB Aaron Rodgers.

Charles Woodson - OAK UFA signs with GB

John Bowie - OAK trades up 2 spots in front GB to select him in 4th round, GB subsequently trades back

Jason Horton - switches from GB to OAK

Curtis Fuller - former GB DB begins assistant coaching career with OAK. Returns to GB to coach in 2009-2010.

Tyvon Branch OAK trades up in 4th round from 104 to 100. Packers had traded into pick 102.

Marviel Underwood - signed by OAK, former Packers 5th round pick

Mike Hawkins - OAK signs former GB 5th round pick

Joey Thomas - former GB 3rd round pick signs with the OAK

Joe Porter - played 6 games for the OAK, after playing his only other NFL game with GB

Pat Lee brought from OAK to GB by Reggie McKenzie

Brandian Ross - Plays in 14 games for OAK after being signed off GB practice squad

Hypothesis: Scheme and fit have an incredible bearing on where players are drafted. These elements are severely underrated by fans.

Last edited by xDD80x on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly this is true. More past than present though IMO. The lines crossed so much in the past because both teams ran heavy press-man. Very much so still the case in Oakland. Not so much in Green Bay though. Capers loves his zone every bit as much as his man.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who all runs this sort of fit nowadays or if this still applies, but I believe I read a few years ago that the Rams were trying to run it (subsequently trade for Chris Johnson, signed Al Harris whoever else).

Man-press isn't the only common variable. For years both OAK and GB have placed a heavy emphasis on the numbers come draft day.

EDIT: haha palmy beat me to this! Yeah Sherman was man-press to a fault. That slate of DBs featuring carroll-thomas-hawthrone-hawkins-horton was just awful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xDD80x wrote:
I'm not sure who all runs this sort of fit nowadays or if this still applies, but I believe I read a few years ago that the Rams were trying to run it (subsequently trade for Chris Johnson, signed Al Harris whoever else).

Man-press isn't the only common variable. For years both OAK and GB have placed a heavy emphasis on the numbers come draft day.

EDIT: haha palmy beat me to this! Yeah Sherman was man-press to a fault. That roster of DBs featuring carroll-thomas-hawthrone-hawkins-horton was just awful.

Clearly at some level that in bold is true. I NEVER felt the Packers were a "numbers" team though. Just think press-man is one of those deals where more times than not the triangle numbers better work or ya might be better off passing on the player.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Packers Raiders DB Connections - Scheme and Fit Drive Va Reply with quote

xDD80x wrote:

Fabian Washington OAK drafts after trading immediately in front of GB 1 spot ahead of GB in the 1st round. GB gets stuck with QB Aaron Rodgers.

I'll never forget that draft. My stomach sunk when the Raiders traded ahead of the Packers. Then they took Washington. God bless Al Davis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: