Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gilbert Burger's First and Maybe only Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilbert Burger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Gilbert Burger's First and Maybe only Mock Reply with quote

FREE AGENTS:

Richard Seymour DE Oakland

While not the player he was, still only 33 years old and probably has a good season or two left. Ture leader on the defensive side of the ball, provides insurance policy for the rotating door of Worthy and Neal at the position. Signs one year deal for 1.5mil.

Matt Roth OLB Jacksonville

Roth is a solid, yet unspectacular player. Backs up Perry at OLB, and can put a hand down when needed. Camp body competiting for a roster spot. Has never played for a winning team, comes to GB for a chance. 1 year vet min.

Contract Extensions:
Aaron Rodgers gets his lifetime contract from the Packers. My guess is the total contract value is not the highest in the league, but the guaranteed portion is. The organization is flush with cash. Structure the deal to take a big cap hit this year, and again in 2015 when the cap number is expected to go way up.

Jermichel Finley signs an extension to be a core player on this team. Signs deal for 3 years 18 mil. Structure of the deal shaves an additional 2 mil off this year's cap number.

*** Matthews and Raji are both under contract for 2 more seasons, so there is no reason to extend them this offseason. The structures of the Rodgers and Finley deals allow them to address both contracts next offseason.

DRAFT

The Packers see a ton of value on the board when #26 comes up and trades down to the end of the first with Baltimore, who moves up for a player to patch up their defensive front 7. GB picks up a 4th in the trade.

Packers also trade up into the second round by sending their 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

1. Jonathan Cyprien S Florida International

Thompson has had along history of drafting players who stand out at the Senior Bowl, and Cyprien did just that. Thompson also has a history taking players from smaller programs. Cyprien is directly in the mold of what the Packers are looking for in the position. He covers the deep part of the field as well as any safety in the class. He has good size for an NFL safety. He is a sound tackler and will stick a guy. Lots to like about a Burnett/Cyprien/McMillan/Jennings/Bush group.

2A. Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA

Franklin is personally my favorite back in the draft when it comes to value and upside. Great build for an NFL back. Shifty, yet runs strong and welcomes contact. Another player who performed well at the senior bowl. Can pick up the blitz, which is very important in this offense. Ran a 4.49 at his pro day.

2B. Barrett Jones C/G Alabama

Thompson stays true to his board. Jones has seen quite a slide of late, which is odd for a guy who was considered one of the best Olineman in college football for the past couple years. He is the opposite of a guy who shoots up after the combine - a medicore combine has pushed him down boards. He certainly is not a combine guy, and wasn't expected to test overly well. However, on game day he is a strong, nasty guy who gets it done in the trenches. Positional flexibility is a strong plus, as Barrett can back up 3 positions up front. Gritty, heady player.

4 (from Baltimore) Quanterus Smith OLB Western Kentucky

Smith is a guy who would have pushed for 1st round consideration, until he tore his ACL late in last season. He is a tremendous pass rusher, with a great NFL body for the position. Very good bend, variety of hand moves, and true explosion off the line. Will be on PUP list year one, probably wont be available until 2014. Could end up the steal of the draft. He is being projected lower, but on potential alone, someone will scoop him up earlier than projected.

5 (COMP) Kenny Stills WR Oklahoma

Stills is a guy who slips a bit because he didn't overwhelm in any of his combine mesureables. Very productive college WR with great hands and runs solid routes. Could elevate to be a solid #3 or #3 WR in the league.

6. Brandon Moore DT Texas

More only played one year of football at Texas, and played JUCO prior. He has a great NFL body, but needs coaching. 6'5" and 320, he is a load to move at the line. With seasoning, could find rotational time at NT at spelling Pickett at DE.

7. Lucas Reed TE Nevada

Great size speed guy at 6'6", 250lbs, running a 4.65 40. Limited at Nevada due to poor QB play. Performed very well at pro day and at the East West Shrine game. Younger brother of board favorite Brooks Reed. I don't feel TE is an immediate need, but a good position for a developmental player.

Depth Chart:
WR James Jones Jarrett Boykin Jeremy Ross
LT Marshall Newhouse T.J. Lang
LG T.J. Lang Greg Van Roten
C Evan Dietrich-Smith Barrett Jones
RG Josh Sitton Greg Van Roten
RT Brian Bulaga Don Barclay
TE Jermichael Finley D.J. Williams Ryan Taylor
WR Jordy Nelson Randall Cobb Kenny Stills
QB Aaron Rodgers Graham Harrell
RB DuJuan Harris Jonathan Franklin Alex Green
FB John Kuhn

LDE Ryan Pickett Mike Neal Mike Daniels
NT B.J. Raji
RDE Richard Seymour Jerel Worthy
LOLB Nick Perry Matt Roth Dezman Moses
LILB A.J. Hawk Robert Francois
MLB Desmond Bishop Jamari Lattimore Terrell Manning
ROLB Clay Matthews Brad Jones Jamari Lattimore
LCB Tramon Williams Davon House Jarrett Bush
RCB Sam Shields Casey Hayward
SS Jonathan Cyprien M.D. Jennings
FS Morgan Burnett Jerron McMillian

PUP LIST: Jerel Worthy
IR: Quanterus Smith
Practice Squad: Lucas Reed, Brandon Moore

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
svp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!

spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the contracts backwards. Rodgers is signed through 2014. Matthews contract is up after 2013 and Raji's deal has a voidable year 5 which I'm pretty sure is already as good as voided.

I also HATE HATE HATE the idea of extending Finley. He's flashed, but why are you going to extend him to an elite TE contract when he hasn't lived up to it? He wasn't even really that good towards the end of last season. He was decent but not 6/year good last year, even at his best.

As far as the draft, I'm OK with Cyprien, better than Lacy, Elam, or alot of other people I see forced into this slot, but I still think it's a bit of a reach at 26. At 32, I'm a bit more OK with it.

I like Franklin but I don't see him as a 2nd round RB. 3rd-4th sure I just don't see him nearly that high.

I'd love to see Jones as a late 2nd.

Not a fan of a project OLB coming off a major knee injury. If you are going to pick an OLB it's gotta be a guy who can contribute behind Perry and Matthews.

Pretty much the rest are all just guys. I don't see anything special in any of them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too rich for my blood on Cyprien but that's what it might take to land him. Some guys have fallen in love there and that often leads to poor value. Don't get me wrong, that's a damn fine prospect. Just think he is going to get overdrafted. I mean, that's a small school safety. Probably going to take him a year or two for it to slow down. At that point, you probably have a 220lb 4.7 safety on your hands. There is a place for "that guy" but it's a mold you can get on the cheap in todays NFL. Why Balt just cut their SS and why Wilson took that Pats deal.

I view Franklin as a poor mans Ball. I'm all in if the slot works. Anything but a special talent, but solid fit there IMO.

I would flip Franklin and Jones.

Jones feels like a Packer all day long! Just a very smart, good all around football player. Very happy the arms came in over 33. I can see much better value in Green Bay now that I feel he could give ya some tackle reps if need be. Doubt it will take him long to take over that center gig though.

Lot of Brad Jones in Smith. If the board works and they med cleared him, I guess.

I could see Stills adding up to value pending how the board falls also.

I would love to see what Moore could be with NFL coaching. Very much so the type of prospect I would like to take a late board look at. Only so many of those big guys around. If you can take a look at one on the cheap, why not?

Reed is another late board kid I would like to take a long look at.

Don't love the way this one started. But nice work, GB!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Too rich for my blood on Cyprien but that's what it might take to land him. Some guys have fallen in love there and that often leads to poor value. Don't get me wrong, that's a damn fine prospect. Just think he is going to get overdrafted. I mean, that's a small school safety. Probably going to take him a year or two for it to slow down. At that point, you probably have a 220lb 4.7 safety on your hands. There is a place for "that guy" but it's a mold you can get on the cheap in todays NFL. Why Balt just cut their SS and why Wilson took that Pats deal.

Help me understand this. So, when football becomes his full time job, he is going to get slower? McMillan played huge minutes this year for the Pack, and he is from a smaller school. Did it take Demarcus Ware 2 years for the game to slow down? I hear ya, but I think this is an old school mindset. In the modern league, the ramp up time isn't nearly what it was. Guys have fallen in love with him cause there is alot to love, and he flew under the radar at FIU. For all small school prospects, there is a coming out party. Don't think that coorlates to poor value.

This is a good read: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1547782-why-are-nfl-draft-experts-raving-about-safety-jonathan-cyprien
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you make a draft with a bunch of reaches and add in a player that will NOT fit a 3-4 defense(Roth). Then you share a Bleacher Report article...

Jones and Moore are the only two guys in that draft on my radar and Moore might not even play due to a serious neck injury. I think Moore could be had in UDFA. The Reed and Jones picks are probably your best picks here, I'd say the Smith pick fits in there too but you're reaching big time on that one.
GoPackGo25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
First you make a draft with a bunch of reaches and add in a player that will NOT fit a 3-4 defense(Roth). Then you share a Bleacher Report article...

Jones and Moore are the only two guys in that draft on my radar and Moore might not even play due to a serious neck injury. I think Moore could be had in UDFA. The Reed and Jones picks are probably your best picks here, I'd say the Smith pick fits in there too but you're reaching big time on that one.
The OP isn't the one who posted the link..

As for the draft, I do like the Cyprien, Jones and Stills picks. I would rather go with a different RB then Franklin, not a big fan. It's not a bad draft.

Credit: TheDeeeeej

Adopt a T-Wolf: Kevin Love
PPG RPG APG
42inBlue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas Reed played at the U of New Mexico.
Gilbert Burger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:

Its awesome you know how the draft is going to fall. Please share more!

Roth played in the 3-4 in Miami, in his most effective years.

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Gilly wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Help me understand this. So, when football becomes his full time job, he is going to get slower? McMillan played huge minutes this year for the Pack, and he is from a smaller school. Did it take Demarcus Ware 2 years for the game to slow down? I hear ya, but I think this is an old school mindset. In the modern league, the ramp up time isn't nearly what it was. Guys have fallen in love with him cause there is alot to love, and he flew under the radar at FIU. For all small school prospects, there is a coming out party. Don't think that coorlates to poor value.

This is a good read: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1547782-why-are-nfl-draft-experts-raving-about-safety-jonathan-cyprien

Again, I like the kid and was giving him stokes well before most were. Just think at this point he is going to go before I would take him, that's all.

As for your point there. I would agree with you at some positions. Safety is just not one of them. Yes, McMillian seen the field. But this staff played it VERY safe with him last year. RB's, Pass rushers, ect show well more times than not right out the gate. History would show that's anything but the case with the safety position though. You can't think back there or your done! Add in the fact that he played at that level and is anything but a track star and I just think it is going to take him a little longer than some. Not the end of the world, just sayin.

Again, at the end of the day you are talking about a kid that very well could be a 220lb 4.7 safety sooner rather than later. That's just not a set that gets paid all that well in todays NFL for very clear reasons.

Much to like there, for sure. I just don't see a first round football player or raw talent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the Cyprien and Jones picks, I don't care much for this draft. Franklin is a late 3rd, early 4th rounder. Moore is no better than a low priority free agent, imo. Also would like to see us get a ILB in the draft with concerns on Bishop and Smith injuries, and Jones may be leaving in FA. Also, I would like a DL earlier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: