Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wormís top draft prospects at positionís of need for Saints:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SWATcha


Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Posts: 1772
Location: Sacto, CA.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Yasinskas wrote:
As he spoke to the media at the NFL owners meeting Wednesday morning, New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton said there are two things that are keeping him awake at night.

He said heís losing sleep over who will rush the passer and who will play left tackle.

I get the feeling the Saints arenít done bringing in outside linebackers. But at least they have some promising options there. Martez Wilson and Junior Galette, who have played defensive end, could prosper as outside linebackers in the 3-4 scheme the Saints are switching to.

The bigger issue is left tackle. The Saints lost Pro Bowler Jermon Bushrod to Chicago as a free agent. Although the Saints had to have known losing Bushrod was likely due to their salary-cap situation, thereís no obvious replacement on the roster.

Bryce Harris and Marcel Jones are young and their ceilings may not be that high. The best option currently on the roster might be Charles Brown, but heís far from a sure thing and I donít know that the Saints are ready to let him protect Drew Breesí blind side.


Interesting tidbit. I still think the Saints need to bring in a stop gap LT and draft a rush LB or DE. But it may not be so far fetched anymore to think if one of the top LTs somehow falls that the Saints won't go LT in the draft.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raves


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 17860
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the middle of FA where we haven't brought in any LT or pass rushers that I can remember and before the draft, Sean Payton openly admits weaknesses and possible targets for the Saints... I'm just not buying it as the full truth.

Does he wonder if our two promising young OLBs will be able to apply pressure in a new scheme, quite possibly and some depth/vet presence would help, and does he wonder if Charles Brown can stay healthy enough to protect Brees for an entire year, definitely, but Jones showed he could do it as well before going down himself.

Yet we haven't brought in Butler who wants to be a Saint, wr haven't brought in any OTs even someone like McKinnie, but Payton admits it keeps him up at night and we've brought in two of the top CBs on the market, signed one, and possibly another shortly...

Misinformation looking for a trade back at its finest. Do I think Payton wants to address those positions at some point during the draft and FA? Yes, but I don't think it is as big of a deal as he makes it out to be in this article.
_________________

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3295
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
In the middle of FA where we haven't brought in any LT or pass rushers that I can remember and before the draft, Sean Payton openly admits weaknesses and possible targets for the Saints... I'm just not buying it as the full truth.

Does he wonder if our two promising young OLBs will be able to apply pressure in a new scheme, quite possibly and some depth/vet presence would help, and does he wonder if Charles Brown can stay healthy enough to protect Brees for an entire year, definitely, but Jones showed he could do it as well before going down himself.

Yet we haven't brought in Butler who wants to be a Saint, wr haven't brought in any OTs even someone like McKinnie, but Payton admits it keeps him up at night and we've brought in two of the top CBs on the market, signed one, and possibly another shortly...

Misinformation looking for a trade back at its finest. Do I think Payton wants to address those positions at some point during the draft and FA? Yes, but I don't think it is as big of a deal as he makes it out to be in this article.


I equate what Sean Payton said to putting out the for sale sign on the 15th pick. I think Sean was honest in his assessment of his teams needs and was telling all the teams below him that he has a franchise with many needs and few picks so New Orleans is open for business if a player you covet is available at 15.

I absoutly believe that the Saints will trade the 15th pick. I think they will move down once, mayb even twice and accumulate picks to address needs at OT, S, OLB & DL. THis draft is deep with solid prospects but limited on elite ones and the Saints would benfit more by adding multiple solid players than simply taking a guy at 15.

Listening to Sean Payton, it's clear he's concerned about the overall depth and competition level of this team at many positions and doesn't feel this will be a quick fix in 2013.

The Saints need to find trade partners on draft day and I think Sean Payton just opened the door for talks to begin.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MPjeffryred


Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Posts: 788
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm, I am happy to see your post as I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I see the 15th to the Rams for 22, 78 and 113. The Rams will have a bracket of picks 15 & 16. Then I see trading 22, and 78 to the Patriots for 29 and 57.

#29 Jessee Williams - a true beast at DT or DE who will develop into a game changer. High character and very strong. Is still improving. Sabin approved!

#57 Jamie Collins - OLB who can set the edge and who will be able to rush the passer better than many well known prospects.

#75 Robert Alford - Somehow, I do not see us signing Ndamdi and we do need more talent in the secondary at CB. SLU hometown kid along with Keenan. He reminds me of Tracy Porter, but a bit better tackler.

#109 Chris Faulk - His injury and lack of production causes him to fall. I am not an LSU homer, but his potential as a LT when healthy is substantial. He may not need to make a major contribution immediately.

#113 J.J. Wilcox - SS from smaller school (Ga. Southern) who is still improving. Was invited to the Senior Bowl after only one year at SS. Has great upside.

#144 Earl Wolfe - Wolfe (N.C. State) can play both S positions but spent more time at SS last year. And with 4.45 speed, his talent includes coverage of receivers! Real competition and a possible trade/release of Roman Harper for cap purposes.

#183 Jake Stoneburner - TE depth is needed and this Ohio State player can both block and catch. He would be a steal in the sixth round. Think of a slightly bigger, stronger and faster David Thomas.


I can dream can't I. I think this would solidify our needs. Free Agents might also make the team. Every year, the Saints find a gem or two! Ryan Aplin, QB of Arkansas State??????????


Last edited by MPjeffryred on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spartica4Real


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 4931
Location: Louisiana (NS922 on the sig)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol the Vikes don't have pick 31...
_________________

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 23091
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew. I hate Margus Hunt.
_________________

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FLOODx


Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Posts: 6054
Location: New Orleans
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Ew. I hate Margus Hunt.


Not a fan either
_________________

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sammymvpknight


Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 3399
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Ew. I hate Margus Hunt.


Not a fan either


Biggest Tarzan/Jane in the draft. Bar-none.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3295
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the question I think we may start to have to consider...

How far does Lane Johnson (Oklahoma LT) have to drop before we consider moving up to get him? Likely would have to get in front of the Chargers at 11.

We don't have a 2nd this year but would ya'll do, say 15th pick, Chris Ivory & our 2014 2nd rounder to the Jets for the 9th pick?

Before I get bamboozled let me just say that I believe Johnson is an elite talent with more upside than Fisher or Joeckel. we'd need to make up 300 points on the value chart to land the 9th pick from the Jets who could still get either Mingo or Jones at 15. I have Ivory rated as a 3rd round value (bout 200 points) and we'd have to overpay with our 2014 2nd in order to not part with out 3rd this year.

We surrender our 3-4 string back and a 2nd rounder in 2014 but we land an elite LT on a 5 year rookie contract to protect Drews blindside for the remainder of his career. By the time Johnson will be up for a new conrtact, Drew will likely be retired and we'd have a probowl LT for our new young QB and the money to extend him.

Maybe im thinking to far ahead but the more I watch Johnson, the more Im convinced hes the ONLY player in this draft id consider trading up for.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
navysaintsfan


Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 11258
Location: Frednecksburg, VA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Here's the question I think we may start to have to consider...

How far does Lane Johnson (Oklahoma LT) have to drop before we consider moving up to get him? Likely would have to get in front of the Chargers at 11.

We don't have a 2nd this year but would ya'll do, say 15th pick, Chris Ivory & our 2014 2nd rounder to the Jets for the 9th pick?

Before I get bamboozled let me just say that I believe Johnson is an elite talent with more upside than Fisher or Joeckel. we'd need to make up 300 points on the value chart to land the 9th pick from the Jets who could still get either Mingo or Jones at 15. I have Ivory rated as a 3rd round value (bout 200 points) and we'd have to overpay with our 2014 2nd in order to not part with out 3rd this year.

We surrender our 3-4 string back and a 2nd rounder in 2014 but we land an elite LT on a 5 year rookie contract to protect Drews blindside for the remainder of his career. By the time Johnson will be up for a new conrtact, Drew will likely be retired and we'd have a probowl LT for our new young QB and the money to extend him.

Maybe im thinking to far ahead but the more I watch Johnson, the more Im convinced hes the ONLY player in this draft id consider trading up for.


I would say based on our current offensive playstyle we would have no reason to draft a LT that high unless he is part of a post-Brees plan.
_________________

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3295
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I would say based on our current offensive playstyle we would have no reason to draft a LT that high unless he is part of a post-Brees plan.


My point exactly NavyMan...

I understand that this offense is built from the inside out. It's not that the Saints don't value the tackle position, they just built this way in order to play to Drew's strengths. His height and the way he moves around manipulates the pocket to find passing lanes is the main reason the Saints invest their money in the Guard position.

But...

Drews 34 years old and it's not like even Bushrod wasn't allowing guys to collapse the pocket around Drew this past season. Brees is getting older and while he's still an athlete, he isn't as nimble as he once was and he'll only get less mobile in time.

Lane Johnson to me is a great pick because he's so stout and athletic. He's built for this offense. He'd be under a 5 year rookie contract that's cap friendly which would put him protecting Drew's blind side throughout the remainder of his carreer at a value price. Once Drew Hangs them up, the Saints will likely be moving on to a younger QB drafted sometime over the next 2-3 years... the offense will likely change to fit his needs. Evans and Grubbs will be older and have high cap hits making them subject to cap calusties but we'd have a probowl talent at LT going into his second contract.

Johnson, Graham & Ingram would be a hell of a way to break in a new young QB!
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 23091
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to make plans for 5 years down the road. We have a 5 year window with Brees that we need to take advantage of, to do that we need to give him at least an average defense. Charles Brown can hold the fort at LT.
_________________

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raves


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 17860
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As been stated we can find a LT for him later or even use one of the guys we have now. If we go offense in the first round it needs to be a WR like Keenan Allen or maybe a TE like Eifert, but in no way do we go OL in the 1st.
_________________

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3295
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Charles Brown can hold the fort at LT.


This is what we all hope but it doesn't seem like our HC is onboard with that thought process.

Everyone keeps saying that were fine at tackle or our young unproven guys can handle it... wanna hear that after brees takes a beating. If the LT position keeps sean payton up at night, then no... Brown can't hold the fort down.

At least his HC doesn't think so...
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Raves


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 17860
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:
Charles Brown can hold the fort at LT.


This is what we all hope but it doesn't seem like our HC is onboard with that thought process.

Everyone keeps saying that were fine at tackle or our young unproven guys can handle it... wanna hear that after brees takes a beating. If the LT position keeps sean payton up at night, then no... Brown can't hold the fort down.

At least his HC doesn't think so...


Yes, our HC is going to be dumb enough to mention that we need an OT and a pass rusher... That's a sign saying "Please trade ahead of us if you are looking for a LT or pass rusher that is falling that you really like and think we would too" I'm sure we will address these positions but I severely doubt they keep him up at night like he said. I'd take one of the projected midround OTs that I expect to be able to be there and perform early on.
_________________

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group