Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wormís top draft prospects at positionís of need for Saints:
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Wormís top draft prospects at positionís of need for Saints: Reply with quote

In this post Iíve narrowed (in my opinion) our Saints top 5 positions of need heading into the NFL draft at OLB, OT, S, DL & WR. Below are my top rated prospects at each of these positions that I feel have a realistic shot at being available to the Saints with the 15th pick

1. Star Lotulelei NT/DE Utah

Lotulelei is the one player on this list that very well may be the biggest reach at being available at 15 overall but with his newly developed heart condition, anything is possible. Having said that, Lotulelei is also my highest rated player on this list as well. I feel he could excel at either DE or NT in Rob Ryanís 3 man front with his combination of bulk, power and quickness and give this front seven a future perennial pro bowl participant.
Odds of Lotulelei available at 15: 20%

2. Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia

While many might be scared away from Jones due to medical concerns and opt to select another talented pass rusher in a deep class, Iím not. Sometimes we read too much into these things and Iím a sucker for production over potential. You would be hard pressed to find me a more prolific pass rusher in college football over the last 2 seasons than Jones. I feel heís a top 10 talent and day one instant impact pass rusher in the NFL and that is what this team needs to compliment Drew Brees and the Saints prolific high scoring offense.
Odds of Jones available at 15: 50%

3. Menelik Watson OT Florida State

Luke Joeckel, Lane Jonson and Eric Fisher are all top 10 locks in my opinion. The question then becomes whoís the next guy and is he worth the 15th overall pick? DJ Fluker is a top prospect but I feel his future will be inside at guard where he can become a pro bowl player but the Saints are set at the guard position. Menelik Watson is a physical specimen and possesses the skill set and quick feet to develop into a similar mold of former FSU alum and NFL All Pro Walter Jones. The knock on Watson is that heís raw but that hasnít stopped the Saints in the past from shying away from elite athletes. Now Watson is starting to garner mid 1st round grades that is only likely to continue to soar as the draft approaches and if the Saints head into draft day with the LT position still unsettled, Watson could really be in the discussion when the Saints go on the clock with the 15th pick.
Odds of Watson available at 15: 90%

4. Tavon Austin WR/KR West Virginia

PLAYMAKER!!! That about sums up Tavon Austin. The Saints need at WR may not be dire but this is an offensive driven league and a team can NEVER have enough players that possess the ability to alter games, Austin is that type of player. With the Saints, Sean Payton would use his creative mind to move Austin around in multiple formations to create mismatches and force defenses to play on their heels. If Sean Payton is serious about improving the running game in 2013, Tavon Austinís addition could ensure that no Saints running back would face an 8 man front form 20 to 20.
Odds of Austin available at 15: 80%

5. Jonathan Cyprien SS Florida International

Ok, Iíll admit itÖ My grade on Cyprien is a lot higher than most. Still I stand by my assessment and I feel Cyprien is simply the best safety prospect in this draft. Cyprien possesses a great combination of size, physicality and instincts for the position and is a solid coverage player with good range and a fierce tackler in run support. Cyprien is also a passionate player and an emotional leader and every one of those traits is things that the Saints severely lack at the position currently.
Odds of Cyprien available at 15: 99.9%

WHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would def put keenan Allen over Austin. Better route runner, bigger, great hands, able to make the tough over the middle as well as go deep, immediate impact and potential #1

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play your game worm..except I think we sign Butler & I think Tez plays OLB, so I'll do ILB instead. Also, you know Jones was cleared and he doesn't have SS. They said it was just a flinger. JJ - SS = Top 5 pick. There's ZERO chance he is there.

ILB- Kevin Minter
S- Matt Elam
OT- There is literally nobody here worth 15.
WR- Keenan Allen
DL- Datone Jones (I don't think Louteleti will be here)

krewebrees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the other safety from Florida. Matt Elam, but other than that I like it. Not crazy about Watson (it's a stretch at 15), but not many options at OT. Jarvis Jones is my favorite.

Adopt a Saint 2013
Malcolm Jenkins: 71 tckl, 3 PDef, 2 int, 2 ff, 2.5 sck
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
I would def put keenan Allen over Austin. Better route runner, bigger, great hands, able to make the tough over the middle as well as go deep, immediate impact and potential #1

I like Allen as a prospect... I really do but here's the reason I went with Austin there.

I'm not really looking at Austin as a WR per say, but more as a utility player/playmaker that players WR. Much like what Sproles gives us from the RB position.

Yes, Allen has strong hands, a big physical body and is a solid route runner but in no way can he be mistaken for being as dynamic and versatile as Austin is. Also I'm still a believer in Nick Toon as well. Toon also has a big physical body, sure hands and is an exellent route runner. He's not as fast as Allen but Toon is very capable of providing for us in this offense what Allen would in my opinion.

Austin on the other hand creates limitless possibilties in formational groups and packages.

It's just a prefference of mine, both very good players but also very different skill sets.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, you know Jones was cleared and he doesn't have SS. They said it was just a flinger.

Was not aware of this... it very much changes his draft position on my big board if true. Do you have a link?

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry meant stinger

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/3/10/4085694/jarvis-jones-spinal-stenosis-medical-nfl-draft

Since then he's been cleared by even more docs..

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Sorry meant stinger

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/3/10/4085694/jarvis-jones-spinal-stenosis-medical-nfl-draft

Since then he's been cleared by even more docs..

If he gets pass the Eagles, Lions & Jets... we may have a shot! I'm not holding my breath tho Laughing

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about your top 5 most overrated players in this draft???

1. Chance Warmack
Good player, will be great pro but all this top 5 talk and best guard prospect in last 20 years is nonsense. Cooper might even be better and if Fluker winds up at guard he can be the best of the bunch.

2. Geno Smith
Not even a 1st round prospect in my book. Dude is simply the best of a bad situation but that situation just so happens to be the position that all NFL franchise's covet over all else.

3. Kenny Vaccaro
Vaccaro is a good player but the more I study other safety prospects like Cyprien, Elam & Swearienger the more I realize just how overrated Vaccaro is.

4. Xavier Rhodes
Rhodes is touted as the drafts second best corner by many but I'm not even sure if corner is where he will find his home in the NFL. There is a lot of stiffness in his movement skills and has a lot of the same knocks on him that Malcolm Jenkins had coming out of Ohio State.

5. Sheldon Richardson
Richardson is a solid player but has big time bust potential in my opinion. I also don't feel he's scheme versatile like some do. I think he's a 43 3 tec only and is rumored to be kind of a defensive diva.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:

1. Chance Warmack
Good player, will be great pro but all this top 5 talk and best guard prospect in last 20 years is nonsense. Cooper might even be better and if Fluker winds up at guard he can be the best of the bunch.

2. Geno Smith
Not even a 1st round prospect in my book. Dude is simply the best of a bad situation but that situation just so happens to be the position that all NFL franchise's covet over all else.

3. Kenny Vaccaro
Vaccaro is a good player but the more I study other safety prospects like Cyprien, Elam & Swearienger the more I realize just how overrated Vaccaro is.

4. Xavier Rhodes
Rhodes is touted as the drafts second best corner by many but I'm not even sure if corner is where he will find his home in the NFL. There is a lot of stiffness in his movement skills and has a lot of the same knocks on him that Malcolm Jenkins had coming out of Ohio State.

5. Sheldon Richardson
Richardson is a solid player but has big time bust potential in my opinion. I also don't feel he's scheme versatile like some do. I think he's a 43 3 tec only and is rumored to be kind of a defensive diva.

I'd add Milliner and Mingo to this list. I like Rhodes and Richardson though

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno Smith is a top 15 pick in any draft class. The guys definitely a first round QB.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Porter22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:

1. Chance Warmack

2. Geno Smith

3. Kenny Vaccaro

4. Xavier Rhodes

5. Sheldon Richardson

I'd add Milliner and Mingo to this list. I like Rhodes and Richardson though

If we draft Richardson I'd be very happy! A d line of Jordan, Hicks and Robinson would be very good for the next 10 years.
I also wouldn't rule out the chance of drafting a Corner. If we sign Nnamdi we won't do it, but if he doesn't sign I could see it happen. Milliner won't be available but Rhodes or Trufant are options here!
Injured Reserve: WR Joe Morgan
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:

2. Geno Smith

3. Kenny Vaccaro

4. Xavier Rhodes

Agreed with a new 1 and 5

1. Bjoern Werner
When I think of Werner all I remember is his sub-par Orange Bowl.

5. DJ Fluker
I actually like him but I've seen mock drafts where he when to Tamba at 13. Are you kidding me 13?!?!

Adopt a Saint 2013
Malcolm Jenkins: 71 tckl, 3 PDef, 2 int, 2 ff, 2.5 sck
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Bjoern Werner
When I think of Werner all I remember is his sub-par Orange Bowl.

That's true but I look at Werner's body of work and I think a lot of people are sleeping on him. He's proven to be one of college footballs top pass rushers over the last few seasons and in that bowl game he got a lot more attention with both Jenkins and Carridiane no longer playing due to injuries.

The funny thing is, taking my personal assessment out of the equation and just looking at the draft and how it will kinda unfold. Then taking into account what the Saints have shown us thus far in free agency... I truly feel that the signing or lack there of, of Nnamdi will dictate which of two players the Saints will target in round one.

If the Saints sign Nnamdi, I look for them to target the one player in this draft that resembles what they missed out on in Paul Kruger and that's Bjoern Werner of Florida State. Like Kruger, Werner is a big athletic pass rusher formerly a defensive end that can set the edge and get after the passer while at the same time possesses the bulk needed to be able to improve as a stout run defender on the edge in the NFL. This is why the Saints coveted Kruger and why they will likely prefer Werner over other OLB prospects. At the FSU proday, reports are that Werner really impressed scouts in his linebacker drills where he looked fluid, showed sure hands and was more athletic than thought to be.

If the Saints don't sign Nnamdi, It's clear there not thrilled with there corner situation reguardless of what is reported and that Ryan is still seeking another big press man cover corner. So if Nnamdi lands elsewhere I would imagine the Saints will explore options to jump Tampa Bay and Miami in the draft in order to select Xavier Rhodes. This to me is why I feel landing Nnamdi is paramount and my fingers are crossed but in the end, what the Saints have showed through free agency in there misses usually tells us more about their Draft direction than there hits.

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we sign Nnamdi, cut Greer, and draft Trufant?

Dat Secondary. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: