Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HakeemTheDream's Post-FA Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: HakeemTheDream's Post-FA Mock Draft Reply with quote

1. Cornelius "Tank" Carradine
Position: Defensive End
School: Florida State
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 274 lbs.
Forty Time: N/A
Bench Press: 28 reps
Vertical: N/A
Comments: I know everyone compares Ziggy Ansah to JPP, but the true comparison is Tank Carradine. He excelled in junior college for a few years, and was given a starting spot at FSU because of injury. From the moment he got his opportunity, he took advantage of it. He's explosive off the snap with very strong hands. Uses his leverage well to get past OTs. Great motor who hustles from sideline-to-sideline. Has a wide variety of pass rushing moves in his arsenal. While he lacks experience against major competition, it is easy to realize that he is the most talented pass rusher in this draft class. Why isn't he considered a top 10 pick? He tore his ACL in November. While this is a major injury concern, he is supposedly months ahead of schedule and plans on having a workout for NFL teams before the draft. This kid is a freak athlete that would be a perfect complement to JPP and strike fear in offenses around the league.

2. Kyle Long
Position: Offensive Tackle/Guard
School: Oregon
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 313 lbs.
Forty Time: 4.94 seconds
Bench Press: N/A
Vertical: 28 inches
Comments: First of all, Long's got the bloodlines to suceed in the NFL. His brother is Chris Long, DE for the Rams, and his father is hall-of-famer Howie Long. Kyle is a multi-sport athlete, having received a scholarship from FSU for baseball and was drafted by the White Sox. He has som experience playing DE early in his collegiate career. He's definitely got the size to play both on the exterior and interior of the offensive line. Good lower-body strength and flexibility will help him translate to OT at the next level. Explodes out of his stance, knocking DEs back immediately. Excellent mobility will allow for pulls and screen plays. He is still new to the sport and position, so he is quite raw. Tends of overextend, which causes loss of balance. Tendency to lunge at players. Has the athleticism and potential to be a Pro-Bowler on the offensive line, but will need some coaching help. I think he translates best as a RT in the NFL, but could also be an effective guard. Reminds me of Brandon Albert from the Chiefs. May not start right away, but I can definitely see a place for him on this line a year from now.

3. D.J. Swearinger
Position: Safety
School: South Carolina
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 208 lbs.
Forty Time: 4.67 seconds
Bench Press: 17 reps
Vertical: 37 inches
Comments: Four year starter and captain of the defense at South Carolina. Has played CB, FS, SS, and slot CB in college so he is versatile. High-motor player who plays downhill. Delivers vicious hits that may be flagged in the NFL. Will scare WRs from running routes over the middle of the field. Can play in-the-box or as a deep safety. Loves to contribute in run support. Effective blitzer and does a great job shedding blocks. Attacks the ball in the air well and has a tendency to dislodge the ball from the pass catcher. Good hands and can make the difficult interception. May not have the speed for single-high safety, although he was used in this role frequently, but excels in two-deep. Tendency to leave his feet or go low on tackles. May be too aggresive. Gets overly physical in coverage. Reminds me of Dashon Goldson of the 49ers. With Rolle's ridiculously overpriced contract, I'm expecting the Giants to start looking for the future at safety soon. Maybe Stevie and Will Hill are part of that, but I doubt Rolle is. Anyways, I think Swearinger could start right away, but it won't happen. He'd be excellent in the 3rd safety role right away for Fewell. Will eventually be starting at either FS or SS for this team, and will be difference-maker in the secondary.

4. Kiko Alonso
Position: Linebacker
School: Oregon
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 238 lbs.
Comments: Alonso has had an eventful career at Oregon. Has been charged for a DUI and breaking into a house while intoxicated, and also tore his ACL in 2010. Even with the mishaps, Alonso was a major contributor for the Oregon defense. While I am nervous about the off-field issues, having former teammate Spencer Paysinger will be very beneficial for his new and former teammate. First off all, he is a versatile linebacker who can play in a 3-4 and 4-3. I think he can play all three LB positions in the 4-3, but translates best as a SLB or MLB. Does the little things. Knows the technique for shedding blocks and has a powerful punch. Great at timing blitzes. Can cover RBs in the flats. Great awareness in coverage. Great motor and high effort. Great at penetrating on goal-line situations. Wrap-up tackler. Has trouble reading running lanes and attacking the FB. Takes himself out of plays with wasted movement. Overall, reminds me of Daryl Washington of the Cardinals. He is an explosive and linear athlete. Great special teams value and will contribute in nickel packages. I see him being the MLB of the future for the Giants, as long as he can translate from Oregon's unique defense to the Giants defense. Could also be a starting SLB if the Giants prefer a better athlete in the middle.

5. Brian Winters
Position: Offensive Guard
School: Kent State
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 320 lbs.
Bench Press: 9 reps (hurt during workout)
Comments: Winters was an all-state football player and wrestler in high school. He's played LT and RT during his collegiate career, but translates to a guard in the NFL. Explosive off the snap and finishes blocks through the play. Throws around small defensive linemen. Natural flexibility which helps in pass protection. Great at moving the pile. Can get to the next level and take out LBs. Frame has more room to add strength. Needs some help vs. stronger linemen. Is much stronger than his combine bench indicates. Compares to Adam Snyder of the Cardinals. I think will be the true gem of this class right away. I think he could start from day one, like Diehl did as a rookie. He can come in and contribute at LG right away if Boothe isn't retained. Has the ability to be a starter for a decade. Provides depth at guard and tackle because of his experience at the college level.

6. D.J. Hayden
Position: Cornerback
School: Houston
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 191 lbs.
Forty Time: 4.42 seconds (Pro Day)
Comments: Hayden has one of the most unique medical concerns in all of football. He tore a vein (inferior vena cava), which carries blood from the lower-half of the body to the heart. This injury is something that happens often in car accidents, and 95% of its victims are killed. This is going to be a very strange case in the NFL. Hayden has the talent to be a day two pick, easily. Before this freak injury, he played nine games recording eight pass breakups, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, four interceptions, and two touchdowns. He's got great quickness and timed speed. Can man-up outside or in the slot. Excellent change-of-direction ability. Plays off-man well and can cover ground quickly. Has the toughness to win 50/50 balls with WRs. Good wrap-up tackler in run support. Has a knack for creating turnovers. Only has average size and no elite athleticism. May not be strong enough to continually press in the NFL. Nobody knows how well he will return after the life-threatening injury. Being compared to Richard Marshall. I think this could be an excellent sleep on draft day. He has all the ability to be a top-3 round CB, but injuries have made him undraftable to some teams. Could provide depth right away but can be coached up into being a starter if he checks out medically.

7a. Steve Beauharnais
Position: Linebacker
School: Rutgers
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 240 lbs.
Forty Time: 4.84 seconds
Bench Press: 19 reps
Vertical: 33 inches
Comments: Although his teammate Greene got all the hype, Beauharnais has been a productive player for Rutgers all four years. He is a durable athlete with ample strength. Excels in run support and has a knack for stopping RBs and FBs in their tracks. Uses hands well to shed blockers. Athletic enough to handle coverage, but shouldn't be covering players often. Will only see the field as a SLB, and possibly a two-down MLB. Solid hands in coverage. Also has the ability to put his hand in the dirt and rush the passer. Doesn't have the agility to play man-to-man coverage. He is being compared to Desmond Bishop. While he may never be a starter, I think he can be an excellent reserve LB and stud special teams player.

7. Lucas Reed
Position: Tight End
School: New Mexico
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 247 lbs.
Forty Time: 4.65 seconds
Bench Press: 25 reps
Vertical: 37 inches
Comments: Let me preface this discussion by saying that this pick was just my guess as to who TE coach Mike Pope said he is in love with in the draft. Reed is the brother of Texans LB Brooks Reed, and has been very inconsistent in college. Has all the athletic ability to be a TE in the NFL. He had to be corrected by coaches at the Shrine game multiple times because his route running is very raw. His production in college has declined every year. This guy is probably only a training camp body and possible practice squad TE, but I think Pope can mold him into being a solid TE in the NFL.

So, what do you guys think?
Gmen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first two picks. If Carradine was healthy, he wouldn't last that long. He has explosiveness, long arms, and a solid frame. I read somewhere that somebody claimed (great source, I know), that Carradine would've gone to the Jags at #2 overall if he was healthy. I also read that he is up to the point in his recovery where he's going to work out for scouts before the draft.

I like Long as well, despite his short arms. He has the necessary edge and attitude to be a RT in this league.

The third round is where it falls apart IMO. I don't believe that safety is a need at all. Between Rolle, Brown and Hill the Giants should be fine going forward. Rolle brings a much needed attitude and leadership to this defense. Is he overpaid? Yes. But look for him to end up taking a pay cut rather than being cut. I'd rather see a corner or defensive tackle here.

The rest looks solid as well. I see somebody has been looking into who the Giants are showing interest in (Winters, Reed). Wink

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
I like the first two picks. If Carradine was healthy, he wouldn't last that long. He has explosiveness, long arms, and a solid frame. I read somewhere that somebody claimed (great source, I know), that Carradine would've gone to the Jags at #2 overall if he was healthy. I also read that he is up to the point in his recovery where he's going to work out for scouts before the draft.

I like Long as well, despite his short arms. He has the necessary edge and attitude to be a RT in this league.

The third round is where it falls apart IMO. I don't believe that safety is a need at all. Between Rolle, Brown and Hill the Giants should be fine going forward. Rolle brings a much needed attitude and leadership to this defense. Is he overpaid? Yes. But look for him to end up taking a pay cut rather than being cut. I'd rather see a corner or defensive tackle here.

The rest looks solid as well. I see somebody has been looking into who the Giants are showing interest in (Winters, Reed). Wink

I just don't see the Giants letting Rolle play out that entire contract. Also, remember that Brown is going to be a UFA next year, so the Giants could be looking for a safety next year. I think Swearinger brings it all as a safety and will be a top safety in the NFL.

I don't think DT is a concern to this team because the rotation is already Linval, Jenkins, Rogers, Austin, Kuhn. No room for another on the roster. CB could use some depth, but I really like Hayden and I think he will be a good player in the NFL.

I knew the Giants had shown interest in Winters, but not Reed. Because they showed interest in Reed, I highly doubt that is the guy who Pope is really hoping to land. Giants don't airmail their picks like that.
Gmen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the DT position needs more attention. Wouldn't be surprised if the Giants took one even in round one. Joseph is the only guy that can really be counted on.

Rogers is 34 years old and at his weight, probably doesn't move too well. I doubt he makes the final roster.

Jenkins probably has a few years left, but is he starter material? I'd rather see him come in on third down to rush the passer. I think he's a liability against the run.

Austin is a bust as far as I'm concerned. He apparently didn't try very hard last year and rumors swirled that he was quite unpopular with his teammates.

Kuhn played admirably before his injury, but isn't starter material.

As a team that got gashed against the run last year, and as a team that puts a premium on the defensive line, I think we need to look at a DT early in this draft.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
42inBlue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas Reed was the victim of coaching. You have a 6'6" 250 Lb. TE with his athleticism (4.08 twenty yard shuttle, 6.97 60 Yd shuttle) measurements of 35.2 " arms, 85.5" wingspan, 10.5 inch hands, and strength, 25 reps on the bench, AND the ball catching ability to be 2 time all-american, all-MWC TE, John Mackey TE of the week, Sports center catch of the month, etc. etc. and you don't find a way to get him the ball more than 5 times in your 4-9 season, do you think that is the player's fault?
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Rotoworld:
Quote:
FSU DE Cornellius "Tank" Carradine completed 32 bench press reps at the school's pro day.
This is four better than Carradine posted at the Combine. Expect the stud pass rusher to workout just before the NFL Draft in late April, and if cleared medically, expect a top-20 selection.

Unless TB takes him at 13, I really think this is going to be the pick. Dallas maybe, but I really think they'll go for Cooper. Yes, even if Werner is still on the board
It's not too late to jump on the bandwagon guys Very Happy
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
From Rotoworld:
Quote:
FSU DE Cornellius "Tank" Carradine completed 32 bench press reps at the school's pro day.
This is four better than Carradine posted at the Combine. Expect the stud pass rusher to workout just before the NFL Draft in late April, and if cleared medically, expect a top-20 selection.

Unless TB takes him at 13, I really think this is going to be the pick. Dallas maybe, but I really think they'll go for Cooper. Yes, even if Werner is still on the board

I'm taking a fully-recovered Tank over Werner all day. Tank has unbelievable strength and quickness but is still very raw as a prospect. Some solid coaching, like the Giants did with JPP, and we have the most fearsome pass rush in the league once again. I truly believe Tank is the pick come draft day. Something is just telling me that he is a Giant.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
From Rotoworld:
Quote:

I'm taking a fully-recovered Tank over Werner all day. Tank has unbelievable strength and quickness but is still very raw as a prospect. Some solid coaching, like the Giants did with JPP, and we have the most fearsome pass rush in the league once again. I truly believe Tank is the pick come draft day. Something is just telling me that he is a Giant.

You guys are getting me on the Tank bandwagon. I like that he's an effort guy too.
Noles73

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in another thread but as a huge FSU fan that watches every game and has loved what Werner has done for the team I want Tank over Werner all day.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the "Tank" bandwagon growing.
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tank a lot I'm on the bandwagon, but I want to see a LB earlier than round 4. Like Arthur Brown in the 2nd or Kevin Minter. We have more potential with our young olinemen(brewer) than we do at LB. You pretty much know what your getting with Mark, Williams (who i dont have a problem with) and paysinger.
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is he at with his health?
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:

Ahead of schedule on his recovery. Going to have a full workout on April 20th.
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:

Really have to see how he performs in his private workout. If he blows it up, he could go top 15 to the saints. Ideally, that pushes another player down our way, like Rhodes or Sheldon Richardson.

I like Brian Winters in the 4-5 if we can't get Barret Jones with our 3rd.
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan_Prime wrote:
HakeemTheDream wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:

Really have to see how he performs in his private workout. If he blows it up, he could go top 15 to the saints. Ideally, that pushes another player down our way, like Rhodes or Sheldon Richardson.

I like Brian Winters in the 4-5 if we can't get Barret Jones with our 3rd.

agreed. Prince, Rhodes, Webster Ross, TT sounds good to me. I also really like Arthur Brown in round 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: