Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Compensatory Picks Announced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Compensatory Picks Announced Reply with quote

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/03-18-13-compensatory-draft-picks.pdf

To get to the relevant point for the Ravens:

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens
#Ravens will get an extra pick in the 4th round (130 overall), 5th (168), 6th (203) and 7th (247). Baltimore has 12 total picks.

A little disappointing that they didn't get a 3rd round pick for losing Grubbs. I thought he got a big enough contract to garner one but oh well.

That's a lot of draft picks.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what we were projected to get. Good haul.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we have 12 picks, but there's no way we make 12 draft selections. Rounds 2-4 could be very busy for us though...even if we don't trade our 1st rounder for even more picks.

We're definitely in a position to get quality over quantity this year.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
Now we have 12 picks, but there's no way we make 12 draft selections. Rounds 2-4 could be very busy for us though...even if we don't trade our 1st rounder for even more picks.

We're definitely in a position to get quality over quantity this year.

That's what I'm thinking. The Ravens will have 8 draft picks that they can trade (since compensatory picks can't be traded) and Ozzie is always moving up and down during the draft. My guess right now is that they move up from their 3rd and 4th round picks.
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many options to list. Moving up in the 1st. Staying at #32 and moving up in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Using selections (present and future) to pick up an additional 3rd round pick. Lots of flexibility! I know you can't trade compensatory picks but having them certainly provides the Ravens with a wealth of possibilities.
rayvens4sb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice. Also, noticed how we lead the league in comp picks, which shows how we always lose good players because they price themselves out of Baltimore and replace them with cheaper, better ones.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayvens4sb wrote:
Wow, nice. Also, noticed how we lead the league in comp picks, which shows how we always lose good players because they price themselves out of Baltimore and replace them with cheaper, better ones.

Yep. And look at that gap. This is why we get underrated every off season. We always "lose so much talent".

And to make that stat even more impressive: We didn't accumulate any in 1994 or 1995 because we weren't a franchise (old Browns didn't get any either those years), nor did we accumulate any in 1996 coming off the season in Cleveland. So a 3 year window (where the Ravens didn't have any free agents to lose) and we still have that big a lead. Cool

Last edited by wackywabbit on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
rayvens4sb wrote:

Yep. And look at that gap. This is why we get underrated every off season. We always "lose so much talent".

And it's since 1994, so we've acquired them in two less years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
rayvens4sb wrote:

And it's since 1994, so we've acquired them in two less years.

Yea, I just went back and checked that the old Browns' didn't earn any in 94, 95, or 96. If they did you could claim that boosted our total since we got that franchise but that's not the case. All the losses were for players who played in Baltimore: i.e. 1997 offseason or later.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Exactly what we were projected to get. Good haul.

Not exactly, in the projection we were expected to get two 6th round compensatory picks instead of 6th and 7th... which isn't a huge deal, but having two comps in the 6th could've easily allowed us to use one 6th to trade up and potentially trade another 6th for a future 5th... and obviously a 6 is better than a 7. Not a huge deal, but those 7th rounders aren't going to do all that much for us... maybe secure an UDFA target that we otherwise wouldn't have had an opportunity to get, but a 7th rounder is virtually useless when you're talking about using it for trade compensation... so I doubt we'd be able to move our 7th for anything of use.

But anyways, overall, these picks are great. That 4th and 5th will especially come in handy. Like has been said, I definitely think it will make trading up in the 2nd or 3rd round a strong possibility. Either that or we'll trade for future picks with ours... and tbqh... I think I'd prefer that strategy more.

We have needs this year sure, but with a comp 4th and 5th, I'd love to trade our 4th for a future 3rd... we have enough picks that I'd love to use one to be active in trading up for a player and another to gain some future assets. I'm thinking our 5th should be used to trade up 5-10 spots in the 3rd and that 4th could be traded for a future 3rd from a playoff contender.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official draft order has now been announced as well. These are the picks Baltimore has:

1-32
2-62
3-94
4-129
4-130 (Compensatory)
5-165
5-168 (Compensatory)
6-199 (from SF)
6-200
6-203 (Compensatory)
7-238
7-247 (Compensatory)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: