Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How much does "mentoring" impact young players?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: How much does "mentoring" impact young players? Reply with quote

Since we've lost some veteran leadership guys in the locker room this year (DD, CDub, maybe GJ85), I've been wondering how much a vet like Driver or Woodson helps a team out? I know guys like Jerry Rice had insane work ethics, so that would rub off on me if I were his teammate. I'd definitely have a respect for the older guys and I'd feel more confident in a tight game knowing they have been there before, but how much does it help in other areas like practice and development? Does a guy like Woodson teach Hayward and Tramon skills? Does Driver tell Cobb the secrets to working the slot?

Obviously, every player is different, but overall, how do you think it goes? Could a player like Steven Jackson, if we nabbed him, have tutored our young guys on how to be a pro at the RB position? Could Gonzalez have set Finley's brain straight earlier and taught him how to play the position with elite skills? How much of the game is insider tips/tricks that vets pass down to the young bucks?

This is a topic that's always interested me, but I've never been inside the game.

What do you guys think?

God, family, and the Green Bay Packers; in that order.
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's generally overblown. It is a bigger help when new coaches are bringing in a new system and there are vets familiar with the system that the rest can lean on. Certain habits like Al Harris and Charles Woodson can have some impact on things like film study, but it won't automatically carry over either.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: