You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My "Since Every1 is Doing 1 I might as well" Mock

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: My "Since Every1 is Doing 1 I might as well" Mock Reply with quote

First off, I hope we sign Michael Huff to play FS and make an attempt to sign McKinnie to another 1 year deal to play LT. My draft isn't contingent on either move but would be better if we could pull off both moves in FA.

Round 1 Pick 32: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

I think Ozzie let Boldin go for a number of reasons and 1 is the depth in the late 1st to the end of the 2nd round of WRs that have potential as either No.1s or good No.2s on most teams. I like Hopkins hands and his playing speed and think he would be a good fit in Baltimore teamed with Torrey Smith.

Trade: The Ravens trade up to Pick 50 with the Washington Redskins: Terron Armstead, LT, Arkansas Pine Bluff

The Ravens give up Round 2 Pick 62, Round 4 Pick 129, Round 5 Pick 165, Round 6 Pick 199 and a future 5th round pick.

With the free agents we have lost this offseason we are looking at potentially gaining 2 4th round and 2 5th round picks next year so it makes sense we might trade a future pick from the 5th round. Washington would be a willing trade partner as they have very few picks in the draft and need a bit more help to surround RGIII with talent.

I have liked Armstead since the Senior Bowl when he showed he was extremely coachable. I like athletic talents that can be coached up and Ozzie has shown a penchant in the past to take a shot on raw players with talent in the 2nd round. His combine numbers likely means someone will snap him up before he reaches Pick 62.

Round 3 Pick 94: TJ McDonald, FS/SS, USC

I like TJ and don't believe he is as bad as some make him out to be. Monte Kiffin's defense stunk at the College level but I still thought TJ looked good out there. He maybe didn't make as many plays in deep coverage as I would have liked but the secondary for USC was lost in Monte's system and he had to cover for a lot of mistakes of team mates plus this year SC couldn't find a 2nd corner to play opposite Robey which meant the 2nd corner needed a lot of safety help. He really stood out when he was playing in the box and I think he has the size to match up with TEs in this league so he would be really good value at 94.

Round 4 Pick 130: Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina

I think the Ravens wait a long time before addressing what appears to be the biggest need on defense. Ozzie has shown in the past he will even fill ILB with UDFAs (Scott, Ellerbe, McClain) although they had the benefit of lining up beside Ray Lewis. I think Ozzie will see there isn't much drop off in ILB talent and wait it out. Reddick seems to be best attacking the line of scrimmage something Ellerbe excelled at.

Round 5 Pick 168: AJ Klein, ILB, Iowa State

Like I said for Reddick, Ozzie doesn't see a big drop off in talent at ILB and goes back there in the 5th round to take AJ Klein. Klein is a high effort guy with good instincts and a knack for being round the ball (4 INTs returned for TDs in his career). He was terrible in the drills at the combine but with some refinement of his footwork and with his motor he could be a really solid ILB in the league.

Round 6 Pick 200: Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

Ozzie can't go a draft without bringing in a player from the Crimson Tide. Williams might not be the guy everyone thinks Ozzie might draft from the Tide but he fits a need as a blocking TE and can be a big target in goal line passing situations as well.

Round 6 Pick 203: William Gholston, DE/DT, Michigan State

Ozzie always seems to pick up some D-Line depth late in the draft and this year it might be someone like Gholston who can provide depth behind the 3-4 DEs Canty, Spears, Jones and McPhee.

Round 7 Pick 238: Dalton Freeman, C, Clemson

The Ravens go back to Clemson, this time for some interior line depth. Freeman seems to be an athletic interior lineman that can play G or C and the Ravens pick him to backup Gradkowski.

Round 7 Pick 247: Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech

The Ravens take Sweeting to provide some depth at CB. Sweeting is more likely a practice squad candidate but he might be able to push for that final CB spot on the depth chart if he can prove himself on special teams.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot of the picks but that trade will never happen. Ozzie loves his picks wayyyy too much to trade 5 picks for 1.

GO RAVENS!!
mcdni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
I like a lot of the picks but that trade will never happen. Ozzie loves his picks wayyyy too much to trade 5 picks for 1.

Yeah I wrestled with that as well but I just can't see us needing all those picks. What about our 2nd, 4th and a future 4th instead?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, from an outsiders view, the only issue I would potentially see with this draft class is two back to back ILB's. I suppose if they were BPA, but would it not be more beneficial to fill depth in the secondary or perhaps at WR where there is, like Pittsburgh(who has it even more) so much uncertainty?
Anubiz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
If I may, from an outsiders view, the only issue I would potentially see with this draft class is two back to back ILB's. I suppose if they were BPA, but would it not be more beneficial to fill depth in the secondary or perhaps at WR where there is, like Pittsburgh(who has it even more) so much uncertainty?

As far as our secondary is concerned, I think our perceived lack of depth is a bit misconstrued.

We are absolutely fine at CB, IMO, heading into next season with:
Lardarius Webb, Jimmy Smith, Corey Graham, Chykie Brown, Chris Johnson, and Asa Jackson.

And I think as far as depth goes, we have some okay-to-solid depth guys at S, just not really starting caliber players as of right now with:
Omar Brown, Christian Thompson, Anthony Levine, and James Ihedigbo.

So with that said, I actually do think regardless if we sign a veteran via FA, that we double dip at the ILB position if we keep a majority of our picks.

I love Nuk. I truly do, but I have such a huge, huge, huge man-crush on Arthur Brown.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:

Yeah I wrestled with that as well but I just can't see us needing all those picks. What about our 2nd, 4th and a future 4th instead?

I wouldn't mock any trades that include future picks being sent out by Baltimore. The only trades I remember the Ravens doing that with were for Boller (future 1st), Terry (future 2nd?), and Marques Douglas (conditional pick that became a 5th or 6th rounder I think). Two of those were during the draft but I don't expect it to happen this year especially with all of the picks they have now.

wwhickok wrote:

I don't know if depth at either WR or the secondary is an issue. At WR the Ravens have Smith/Jones/Doss/Reed/Streeter/Williams/Thompson. A starting caliber player is a need (unless you believe Jones is one, which I don't) but past that they have some young guys with potential. With Baltimore's pass-catching options at TE and RB having a ton of proven depth at WR isn't as big of an issue and if they get a good WR in the draft to start across from Smith they'll be fine. That moves Jones back into the third WR role and there's a ton of competition for the 4th spot. Almost all of those guys are different kinds of players too so that's good.

For the secondary I think the only needs they have are at both starting S spots. At CB they have Webb/Smith/Graham/Brown/Jackson/Johnson. Even if Webb isn't back at full-strength there's enough quality depth at the 2-4 CBs to keep the unit competitive. I would expect Webb to play quite a bit anyways though. At S they re-signed Ihedigbo as the backup S (hopefully the backup at least) and they have some young guys in Thompson, Levine, and Brown that they like. Thomspon probably isn't going anywhere since they just drafted him in the 4th round last season but I don't think he's ready to start either. Even so with all of those guys the depth is pretty set at S. Just no starters. Sad

As for the actual mock I don't mind it. Hopkins is a pretty good fit for what Baltimore needs and he has good value there. I'm not a fan of the Armstead pick and trade up though. He's too much of a late-riser that's stock is based primarily on the postseason events for my tastes. McDoanld is meh but he's not bad in the 3rd round. Reddick and Klein aren't the types of LBs I want the Ravens to target. Both are better suited for the MIKE role and Baltimore already has 3 guys who could play that spot. Williams is a solid option as a blocking TE in the 6th. I'd say Gholston probably won't last that long either but who knows. I'm not familiar with the last two picks.

Last edited by coordinator0 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:

Ozzie doesn't trade future picks away, he learned his lesson from Boller.

A better option would be something like trading #64 and #94 for #50 and maybe their 4th and 6th or something along those lines.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
mcdni wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:

Ozzie doesn't trade future picks away, he learned his lesson from Boller.

A better option would be something like trading #64 and #94 for #50 and maybe their 4th and 6th or something along those lines.

Agreed. When you're talking about 5 picks for one, it's becoming too complicated a move. If we wanted to trade up, moving our 3rd rounder and taking in a 4th is the best most likely response.

And with our picks, if we wanted to move up in the 4th to still nab a safety... perhaps Wilcox is still there... we could do that using some of the picks you traded and the mock still makes sense.
----------------
In terms of the picks:
1. I love the selection of DeAndre Hopkins in the 1st. I think he's exactly what we need in our receiving core. He'll be key in helping Flacco to get to that next level as a regular season passer. And a more dangerous post season passer. Dude absolutely destroyed LSU's defense. And while I'm sure some will say he's a product of Sammy Watkins, he produced really nice as a freshman before Watkins even got there... and no way you slice it, there is no way a guy can get 18 tds and 1400 receiving yards without, in his own right, being a dynamic and talented player. Watkins reminds me of Torrey Smith anyway, so if it takes a burner like that to have Hopkins produce like he does... bring him to the Ravens and watch this guy consistently put up 80-90 catch seasons with 1100-1200 yds receiving and 8 tds. Hopkins is going to be really good at the next level. Teams can't just bracket Torrey and force our other options to beat them with a guy like Hopkins in the fold... and that'll create a synergistic improvement throughout our passing attack.

2. Terron Armstead- I'm weary on this pick... especially since we trade up to get him. Sure Armstead ran a blazing 40 time, but that's probably the most useless test for an OL... and Armstead is a known track guy. The much more important positions are the cone and short shuttle... and in both of those drills Armstead is only competitive. That said, it's a quality pick, if Ozzie makes that selection, I trust that he's done his due-diligence on Arnstead.

3. Love McDonald, think he's a 2nd round talent.

4. Reddick is good value there but like coordinator said, he's probably not the best fit for what we need, but that being said, if he's BPA... I think we should take him.

5. Would rather we definitely take a coverage type ILB there if we're taking Reddick in the 4th.

6. I think Williams is definitely a solid talent, but I prefer Cunningham. I think Williams isn't as strong a blocker. He is very technically sound, but he's not the type to pulverize. More than that I think Cunningham has a better athleticism to catch ability ratio.

6. Not a fan of the Gholston selection. His hands are much too soft to make an impact as a 5-tech IMO.

7. No clue who this is.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: