You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens sign former Broncos DE Dumervil to 5-year, $35M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StRawz11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the signing. I see a 12+ sack season coming

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
r_sayle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye but are the dolphins likely to give us an extra second to move up what 10 spots??
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_sayle wrote:
ye but are the dolphins likely to give us an extra second to move up what 10 spots??

No, the Ravens would probably have to give up one or two more picks for a deal like that to work. One the trade value chart (here's an example) #32 is worth 590 points while the Dolphins picks are worth 480 points (#42) and 360 points (#54). Now the trade value chart isn't always right but I think it's generally pretty close. Unless there's somebody the Dolphins REALLY want when pick #32 is on the clock I don't see them trading #42 and #54 for it straight up.
r_sayle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i was thinking you see. To get the deal roughly fair for the dolphins 2 second round picks we'd have to give up roughly what our 1st (590), 3rd(116), 4th(44), 5th(2Cool and 6th(16) for that trade to seem anywere near fair using the chart?? and even then the dolphins are loosing out on what should be another 4th round pick if you go by the chart??

i just dont see Ozzie wanting to lose 5 picks to get another second

Last edited by r_sayle on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
r_sayle wrote:

No, the Ravens would probably have to give up one or two more picks for a deal like that to work. One the trade value chart (here's an example) #32 is worth 590 points while the Dolphins picks are worth 480 points (#42) and 360 points (#54). Now the trade value chart isn't always right but I think it's generally pretty close. Unless there's somebody the Dolphins REALLY want when pick #32 is on the clock I don't see them trading #42 and #54 for it straight up.

I definitely wouldn't expect them to give up two seconds for a first, in a straight trade. But the Ravens have eleven other picks to play with, on top of that first rounder.

If they needed to give up their 1st and a 4th and/or 5th, I would consider it a very fair trade. The Ravens won't be wanting to use all of those picks in the draft itself.

If not the Dolphins, then they could look for a 1st for 2nd + lower round trade with a team, and then look to grab a third 2nd by trading a few lower round picks.

Of course, we may get lucky and see that there is a player the Dolphins desperately want at #32.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id be more than happy but going by the chart its seemingly highly unlikely.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_sayle wrote:

The chart doesn't take into account things like draft depth, team needs, concerns about other teams snaffling players that you want.

Straight numerical valuation can only take you so far. While trades may go, by and large, along those lines, I wouldn't look at it as anything more than a rough guide.

For instance, if Miami really want a Tackle, and don't take one with their 1st round pick (because they also really need a CB), then Fluker or Menelik Watson are still on the board at #32, they might not care a whole lot about whether the numbers add up on the draft pick value chart.

But that's just one of many possibilities for the Ravens to explore come draft day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye i gathered that much and i just hope that ozzie still has a good draft board left and there is someone there really after
Integrity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what number he'll wear?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:

#58 is what he wore at Louisville and to my understandings, that's available. Maybe that.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:
Integrity wrote:

#58 is what he wore at Louisville and to my understandings, that's available. Maybe that.

That's what I'm thinking as well. McAdoo has #58, atm, but that doesn't mean anything. He'll probably get cut before the season... but even if he doesn't, if Doom wants the number he isn't going to stop him.

Should I buy a regular Dumervil jersey or customize one to say Doom?

Think

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
KiddKillah wrote:
Integrity wrote:

That's what I'm thinking as well. McAdoo has #58, atm, but that doesn't mean anything. He'll probably get cut before the season... but even if he doesn't, if Doom wants the number he isn't going to stop him.

Should I buy a regular Dumervil jersey or customize one to say Doom?

Think

Wait, like, three years. For your own sanity.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say some of the same things here I said in the Denver forum vis-a-vis Elvis Dumervil signing in Baltimore.

I wouldn't get too riled up about all the negativity you hear from Denver fans about Dumervil. The Broncos fanbase is littered with Dumervil haters. It was also littered with Tebow fanboys and McDaniels apologists and we see how that worked out.

You should trust Ozzie Newsome. He is, along with Ted Thompson in Green Bay, Jerry Reese in New York and the Rooneys/Kevin Colbert in Pittsburgh, the best football czar in the league. John Elway has done a fine job here as well but doesn't have the track record or Super Bowl rings the others do (yet).

Bottom line is this; the contract Baltimore offered Dumervil was fair. Making a snap judgement based solely on the raw numbers if foolish. The truth is this is fair value for a player of Dumervil's caliber.

From Dumervil's perspective I don't blame him for leaving. The Ravens are a stellar franchise. They have excellent ownership, a top-notch GM, an outstanding coaching staff, a roster filled with talent and are a team that expects to contend for the Lombardi year in and year out. Same goes for the Broncos so leaving here for Baltimore is not a step down for Dumervil. He's going to a team that employs a scheme in which he excelled, has a LBs coach he knows and a pass rusher on the other side of him who is as feared as any in the league when he's healthy. There is no reason for Dumervil to think he cannot be as successful or does not have as good (or better) a chance at winning a ring in Baltimore as he would have in Denver. It's not like he left the Broncos for the Browns, Jets or Jaguars, he left for the Ravens. Good career move, or at worst a lateral one, for Elvis.

In short, the Ravens got a good player who is in his prime and is fully healthy. He's excelled in a 3-4 defense and will be a difference-maker for your team. He's an upgrade from Paul Kruger and came at a better price.

The Ravens are a better team tonight and the Broncos are a worse one.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
r_sayle wrote:

The chart doesn't take into account things like draft depth, team needs, concerns about other teams snaffling players that you want.

Straight numerical valuation can only take you so far. While trades may go, by and large, along those lines, I wouldn't look at it as anything more than a rough guide.

For instance, if Miami really want a Tackle, and don't take one with their 1st round pick (because they also really need a CB), then Fluker or Menelik Watson are still on the board at #32, they might not care a whole lot about whether the numbers add up on the draft pick value chart.

But that's just one of many possibilities for the Ravens to explore come draft day.

The only time the TVC is thoroughly thrown aside is when discussing QBs. The Dolphins already have a franchise option. I doubt we could work out a deal with them... Indinitely more likely that we get a 3rd/4th in return in a straight up deal IMO.

In terms of Doom... I like the signing. Was worried that he would cost more, but at $2.5m against the cap we should still have about $6m or so left to spend. And if we could sign Doom for this price and sign Canty/Spears for such a cheap price it makes me think we could sign Huff for something in the 1.5m cap hit range as well and have a good 7-8m before the draft roles around. Meaning after we pay for the picks we should still have a good $2m left to spend if any good veterans are cut in training camp... Or to rollover for next year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
r_sayle wrote:

The only time the TVC is thoroughly thrown aside is when discussing QBs. The Dolphins already have a franchise option. I doubt we could work out a deal with them... Indinitely more likely that we get a 3rd/4th in return in a straight up deal IMO.

In terms of Doom... I like the signing. Was worried that he would cost more, but at $2.5m against the cap we should still have about $6m or so left to spend. And if we could sign Doom for this price and sign Canty/Spears for such a cheap price it makes me think we could sign Huff for something in the 1.5m cap hit range as well and have a good 7-8m before the draft roles around. Meaning after we pay for the picks we should still have a good $2m left to spend if any good veterans are cut in training camp... Or to rollover for next year.

Looking at my trade chart I see a better possibility of us trading back and using our gained picks both our sixths and our second to trade up ten spots or so too nab a falling player.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: