You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens sign former Broncos DE Dumervil to 5-year, $35M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the other thread:

My initial reaction: "Wut? We can't afford that!"

Guess there will be some restructuring going on, somewhere. Paying Dumervil that much in year 1 won't leave much room for the draft picks, let alone any other FA signings.

Still, this is a good move, from a playing point of view and from a status/confidence point of view. It should silence a lot of doubters, quell a lot of protests about the amount of starters the Ravens let go.

ETA: But now I see that the cap hit is actually going to be much lower than first reported, this becomes a bloody great signing. I can't wait to see Dumervil and Suggs in tandem on passing downs next year. That should be a tough prospect for any O-line to handle. Especially with Ngata pressuring the middle as well.

And what's better, with all this, is that Dumervil was forcibly released by the Broncos, meaning he won't affect the compensatory picks next year. That'll be another 4 of those, then.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Doesn't perfectly work like this, but one way to look at it is that between Dumervil and Upshaw, we're paying a combined ~$7-8 million a year to get great-to-elite production at both pass rush and run stopping from one position.

I like this outlook, it's unusually positive for our fandom. Wonder if Upshaw feels the same way though.

You'd think he would. I know all players say they want to play every down but with a 3 man quality rotation of Suggs, Dumervil and Upshaw keeping each other fresh and allowing them to focus on what they do best I don't think any of them will complain if they get the results and we get W's
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can still sign and/or draft an ILB early, our front 7 will be the best its been in a long time IMO. We added some very nice players in Dumervil, Canty, and Spears to add to Suggs, Ngata, Upshaw, and co. We're pretty solid everywhere except ILB, where we just don't really know what we have. I wouldn't hate either signing a guy like Dansby if we can make the money work out or drafting one early on.

GO RAVENS!!
aussie_raven77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
If we can still sign and/or draft an ILB early, our front 7 will be the best its been in a long time IMO. We added some very nice players in Dumervil, Canty, and Spears to add to Suggs, Ngata, Upshaw, and co. We're pretty solid everywhere except ILB, where we just don't really know what we have. I wouldn't hate either signing a guy like Dansby if we can make the money work out or drafting one early on.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Dansby at say 2-2.5 million a year but who would you prefer we get between him and Huff?
I'm also very keen to draft an ILB with one of our first two picks. Wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Minter in a Raven's uniform
MLBeast 52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's a good signing which definitely fills a need. We absolutely needed a pass rusher to replace Kruger's production. It sounds like the contract has little dead money towards the end. Combine that with the low base salary makes it sound like Dumervil should be worth his salary for most of the deal.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
As I said in the other thread:

My initial reaction: "Wut? We can't afford that!"

Guess there will be some restructuring going on, somewhere. Paying Dumervil that much in year 1 won't leave much room for the draft picks, let alone any other FA signings.

Still, this is a good move, from a playing point of view and from a status/confidence point of view. It should silence a lot of doubters, quell a lot of protests about the amount of starters the Ravens let go.

ETA: But now I see that the cap hit is actually going to be much lower than first reported, this becomes a bloody great signing. I can't wait to see Dumervil and Suggs in tandem on passing downs next year. That should be a tough prospect for any O-line to handle. Especially with Ngata pressuring the middle as well.

And what's better, with all this, is that Dumervil was forcibly released by the Broncos, meaning he won't affect the compensatory picks next year. That'll be another 4 of those, then.

It almost seems like the Ravens target those kinds of players. All 3 of Canty, Spears, and Dumvervil were cut by their former teams.

coordinator0 wrote:
That's kind of what I was thinking. I find it hard to envision Ozzie throwing a bunch of money at a free agent. The most expensive free agent I remember the Ravens signing was Foxworth and I think that was only a 4-year, $28 million deal. I'd expect Dumervil to get a bit more than $7 million on average.

Well never mind then. I'm still unsure about this signing though. It's going to be really interesting to see how this OLB rotation works out. With McClellan supposedly moving to ILB full-time that leaves Suggs, Upshaw, and Dumervil as the only guys with experience at OLB on the roster. That's probably enough though with a guy like Hamilton and/or McAdoo competing for depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see another SLB-type brought in either.

A lot of people are excited about the probable duo of Suggs and Dumervil in on passing situations but one of the things I like the most is that they can now rest Suggs without the concern of not having a legitimate #1 pass-rusher type on the field. That works for Dumervil to keep them him fresh too. The more I type the more I'm warming up to this move.
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_raven77 wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Dansby at say 2-2.5 million a year but who would you prefer we get between him and Huff?
I'm also very keen to draft an ILB with one of our first two picks. Wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Minter in a Raven's uniform

I think for me I'd rather sign Huff, then Draft Minter/Brown/Te'o in round 1 and then a safety in round 2.

GO RAVENS!!
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_raven77 wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:

I think I'd rather get Dansby and go high in the draft on a Safety. There are some LBs in the later rounds who have a lot of potential, and could be picked up with a view to backing up Dansby/McClain for a year.

But if the Ravens trade out of the 1st to accumulate 2nd round picks, I could still see them going Safety and ILB in that round.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
aussie_raven77 wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:

I think for me I'd rather sign Huff, then Draft Minter/Brown/Te'o in round 1 and then a safety in round 2.

We're on the same wavelength there. I wouldn't mind us trading back from our first for 2 Second rounders (say the dolphins). Would allow us to draft an ILB, Safety and WR in the one go and I'm reasonably confident that one if not two of those ILB will slide to the 2nd. Shortly after we use that 3rd second rounder we all pop the champagne and look like geniuses again
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_raven77 wrote:
I wouldn't mind us trading back from our first for 2 Second rounders (say the dolphins). Would allow us to draft an ILB, Safety and WR in the one go and I'm reasonably confident that one if not two of those ILB will slide to the 2nd. Shortly after we use that 3rd second rounder we all pop the champagne and look like geniuses again

That is absolutely what I want the Ravens to do. Go out and get three starters in the second round, and suddenly this team looks very, very strong again.

Ozzie has done a great job in these last couple of weeks, rebuilding the defense through free agency. They just need a couple more pieces to be able to craft a unit that could be as good as anything in the league.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who can everyone see us trading with tho to acquire 2 seconds??
drd23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I did not see us signing Doom for that much money or for that long. But as more details of the contract come out, it sounds like a pretty favourable contract for us and gives us 2 pass rushers to fear (assuming Suggs gets back to something close to his full explosiveness).

Does this mean that Suggs gets moved to SOLB to help cover Dumervil's run stopping deficiencies?
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love this signing.

Got a cheaper but better version of Kruger.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if more than one rookie starts opening day. I think since Harbaugh got here Flacco, Oher, and Osemele are the only ones that did. And Flacco happened by accident.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_sayle wrote:
who can everyone see us trading with tho to acquire 2 seconds??

The only two teams with 2 seconds are the dolphins and the bengals and I see 0 chance of the bengals making that happen

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: