Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign DT Vance Walker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundancejoe wrote:

Does this kill the common mock pick of Floyd? I hope so.

I think it does. We didn't spend 2M of our precious cap room for a backup.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

But what is the difference between Walker and Cousin Rock?

One has a lot more upside than the other. Walker didn't find the market he was looking for so he agreed to a one year deal with a starting job to improve his value next offseason while Maiava is just happy to have some kind of role for a team.

Not true. He said in an interview that he thought the Raiders gave him the best opportunity. He was talking to several teams.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

But what is the difference between Walker and Cousin Rock?

One has a lot more upside than the other. Walker didn't find the market he was looking for so he agreed to a one year deal with a starting job to improve his value next offseason while Maiava is just happy to have some kind of role for a team.

Not true. He said in an interview that he thought the Raiders gave him the best opportunity. He was talking to several teams.

Right, the Raiders are the best opportunity for playing time for a lot of career backups at the moment. Maiava is just that.
m52876

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
sundancejoe wrote:

Reggie has a rep as a BPA drafter. I don't think he's going to look at a guy and say "we'll pass" if he's the top player on the team board and fits the culture the staff is trying to build.

I'm not saying Floyd is that guy, but I think we're all so used to Al drafting the fastest player at a position of need that we've been conditioned to think we won't draft guys just because we signed a few free agents at a specific position.

This team has a long term view of things.
sundancejoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m52876 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
sundancejoe wrote:

Reggie has a rep as a BPA drafter. I don't think he's going to look at a guy and say "we'll pass" if he's the top player on the team board and fits the culture the staff is trying to build.

I'm not saying Floyd is that guy, but I think we're all so used to Al drafting the fastest player at a position of need that we've been conditioned to think we won't draft guys just because we signed a few free agents at a specific position.

Agreed but couldn't we look at the investments at DT and LB as indications that McKenzie is planning to address other needs with this pick? (pass rusher, offensive line and corner)
m52876

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundancejoe wrote:
m52876 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
sundancejoe wrote:

Agreed but couldn't we look at the investments at DT and LB as indications that McKenzie is planning to address other needs with this pick? (pass rusher, offensive line and corner)

Yeah, very much so. I am just offering my personal opinion that I don't see it that way. The guys brought in were not big investments, and were kind of needed just to fill the squad out.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we realize Walker hasn't played a down yet? We are already discussing franchising him and passing on draft picks . . . .

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
sundancejoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to repost this as it was the last post on the last page and may have gotten missed...

scar988 wrote:
Sonic Raider wrote:
How was he for you throughout his entire time with you?

Arguably the best rotational DT in the NFL. He deserved a shot to start but Corey Peters was just better. I've always been a huge fan of Vance's.

Sonic Raider wrote:
What is he like in the locker room and off the field?

model citizen. Wasn't a leader in the locker room in the pros but was a team captain in college. Definitely a guy who believes in the team concept.

scar is one of the most respected posters on the site. I'm liking Mckenzie's underrated maneuvering more and more. Still a ton of work left to be done but I felt this rare lamenting of a lost free agent by a very knowledgeable guy should be noted.

This thread hasn't even touched the fact that Kelly is still on the roster and a viable starter himself. I'd personally be fine going into the season with this DT rotation.
Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
DarthDavis wrote:
Raidin wrote:
If we got 3-4 we are pretty light in the MLB spot.

Not really.

Miles Burris was projected by many coming out of college best suited for the 3-4 ILB position. Burnett and Roach are both capable.

Burris played OLB in the 3-3-5 scheme at SDSU. He was essentially a 3-4 OLB who strictly played at the Line of scrimmage. Not sure if I'd ever put him inside.

He played inside when Oakland went to their 3-4 sets last year.
Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundancejoe wrote:
Just wanted to repost this as it was the last post on the last page and may have gotten missed...

scar988 wrote:
Sonic Raider wrote:

Arguably the best rotational DT in the NFL. He deserved a shot to start but Corey Peters was just better. I've always been a huge fan of Vance's.

Sonic Raider wrote:

model citizen. Wasn't a leader in the locker room in the pros but was a team captain in college. Definitely a guy who believes in the team concept.

scar is one of the most respected posters on the site. I'm liking Mckenzie's underrated maneuvering more and more. Still a ton of work left to be done but I felt this rare lamenting of a lost free agent by a very knowledgeable guy should be noted.

This thread hasn't even touched the fact that Kelly is still on the roster and a viable starter himself. I'd personally be fine going into the season with this DT rotation.

With any luck, the signing of Sims and Walker is a prelude to Kelly being shown the door. Aside from being a lazy, unreliable player, he's a poor fit as a NT. One can only hope that we now have, or will soon have, a better option.
91jmay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundancejoe wrote:

scar988 wrote:
Sonic Raider wrote:

Sonic Raider wrote:

I hold scar in VERY high regard. This is great news.

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Nobody wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
DarthDavis wrote:
Raidin wrote:
If we got 3-4 we are pretty light in the MLB spot.

Not really.

Miles Burris was projected by many coming out of college best suited for the 3-4 ILB position. Burnett and Roach are both capable.

Burris played OLB in the 3-3-5 scheme at SDSU. He was essentially a 3-4 OLB who strictly played at the Line of scrimmage. Not sure if I'd ever put him inside.

He played inside when Oakland went to their 3-4 sets last year.

I don't think he did since Houston was the dlineman standing up in most of those sets.
BNich0622

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on his former coaches comments, sounds like a fantastic signing. Good young guy to get into the rotation. Great move by Reggie. Well done.

Thanks to RaiderX for the sig
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article on what Vance Walker gave to the Falcons and what he could give us too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1574602-oakland-raiders-dt-vance-walker-will-break-out-in-his-new-starting-role

Author says Walker reminds him of Rod Coleman. If he gives us what Coleman gave us and Atlanta (at 25 years old), we will have gotten a steal.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the signing, but why only 1 year? He's young and was one of Atl's best defensive tackles last year. If he plays great next year, he's going to pull a wheeler and get paid. I would have preferred a 2 year deal at least.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: