Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens will start the season on the road: thanks Joe Flacco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HokieRaven5


Joined: 29 Sep 2009
Posts: 1649
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Robert Kraft is Jewish... might be a reason why they are all of a sudden concerned with it for wednesday.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HokieRaven5 wrote:
I believe Robert Kraft is Jewish... might be a reason why they are all of a sudden concerned with it for wednesday.

But his team isn't the reigning Super Bowl champs... this must mean they were planning to have us play the Patriots for opening day and he complained.

Personally, I think the easiest course of action is simply to have the NFL change THEIR schedule. All of this fuss for one owner's beliefs? Just have the Ravens play the Steelers then... or perhaps the Broncos. If the Patriots, like always, want to go about this like a bunch of self centered pansies (they didn't win the Super Bowl, they shouldn't be allowed the first game on their turf). The Broncos were the greater challenge anyway. An AFCCG rematch would be cool, but if the NFL is willing to put OUR home game in jeopardy for their ratings (which would still be good with scheduling the Steelers/Broncos) then I'm sorry but I can't respect that... In fact, I'll protest. I won't watch a single game. Story ending complete.

Everyone else here can rise up against the Orioles, but the NFL are the ones that don't possess a shred of moral compass for what's truly fair. So they're the ones that my dislike will go towards if they batch this game because of their ridiculousness.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HokieRaven5


Joined: 29 Sep 2009
Posts: 1649
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
HokieRaven5 wrote:
I believe Robert Kraft is Jewish... might be a reason why they are all of a sudden concerned with it for wednesday.

But his team isn't the reigning Super Bowl champs... this must mean they were planning to have us play the Patriots for opening day and he complained.

Personally, I think the easiest course of action is simply to have the NFL change THEIR schedule. All of this fuss for one owner's beliefs? Just have the Ravens play the Steelers then... or perhaps the Broncos. If the Patriots, like always, want to go about this like a bunch of self centered pansies (they didn't win the Super Bowl, they shouldn't be allowed the first game on their turf). The Broncos were the greater challenge anyway. An AFCCG rematch would be cool, but if the NFL is willing to put OUR home game in jeopardy for their ratings (which would still be good with scheduling the Steelers/Broncos) then I'm sorry but I can't respect that... In fact, I'll protest. I won't watch a single game. Story ending complete.

Everyone else here can rise up against the Orioles, but the NFL are the ones that don't possess a shred of moral compass for what's truly fair. So they're the ones that my dislike will go towards if they batch this game because of their ridiculousness.


Yeah totally agree, just threw that out there with the thinking that they probably want us to play the Pats week 1 and have that high profile game to start he season.

NFL just playing the bully still and have now decided to draw the public into it and create enough outrage to make the MLB cave.

If anybody can tell me what incentive the White Sox would have to agree to have the game move at all I'm all ears but i doubt you'd find any reason they care about the Ravens game.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Yeah, I started out in response to you, but then it turned into a rant. Sorry if you thought any of that was directed towards you specifically.

But honestly, what I find to be most disrespectful in all of this is that the NFL is PLACING the Ravens in this position. They could have very easily made the schedule to appease them, the Super Bowl champs. Even with winning a Super Bowl this team can't get the proper amount of respect... and that is most disrespectful of all. How does the NFL favor the Patriots and their owner over the team that struggled to survive the 2012 season through all the adversity it brought and then just decide to cast aside the important and value of what they represent.

I could care less about the backdoor politics of the two huge conglomerates that is the NFL and the MLB- this is about the integrity of the NFL. The Ravens put forth the effort they put forth to be celebrated for their achievements per the usual course, not do it to be celebrated like black sheep- strayed from the masses who have done it before. Their opening day represents much more than simply a Thursday night game... It represents the integrity of the sport. And if Robert Craft and the collective NFL can't understand that, then they can go to... a place that's far below 6 feet in the ground.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29420
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
^^^^ Yeah, I started out in response to you, but then it turned into a rant. Sorry if you thought any of that was directed towards you specifically.

But honestly, what I find to be most disrespectful in all of this is that the NFL is PLACING the Ravens in this position. They could have very easily made the schedule to appease them, the Super Bowl champs. Even with winning a Super Bowl this team can't get the proper amount of respect... and that is most disrespectful of all. How does the NFL favor the Patriots and their owner over the team that struggled to survive the 2012 season through all the adversity it brought and then just decide to cast aside the important and value of what they represent.


I think you're taking a theory and running too far with it right now.

One guy mentioning that Robert Kraft is Jewish doesn't mean that the NFL has picked the Ravens/Pats for this game and that Kraft is holding up moving it to Wednesday because of Rosh Hashanah. That's a whole lot of speculation to get outraged over.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HokieRaven5


Joined: 29 Sep 2009
Posts: 1649
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad on making it a conspiracy theory. Just had to wonder why they threw out the Rosh Hashanah aspect and he's the only owner of the big home matchups we have this year that is of that faith. Also doesnt help the perception of how much clout he seems to have with Goodell.

End of the day the NFL is in the wrong here IMO and I honestly don't think the MLB should give in easily/at all.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I think you're taking a theory and running too far with it right now.

One guy mentioning that Robert Kraft is Jewish doesn't mean that the NFL has picked the Ravens/Pats for this game and that Kraft is holding up moving it to Wednesday because of Rosh Hashanah. That's a whole lot of speculation to get outraged over.

But what else could it be? I'm not running with any outside theory. I refrained from posting in this thread because that was my theory all along, then someone else shared it.

I'm not saying the NFL is specifically targeting the Ravens, purposely outcasting them from the usual course. But they surely didn't cross check the possibilities of their actions here. A simple google search of the other franchise in town would show that they have a game that Wednesday. So in order to appease the matchup they want, they schedule Ravens-Patriots week one... I'm sure the owners have a 'slight' say in the matter, so I'd bet Craft complained... with the schedule already in motion, they changed the day to appease him, bumped it up to Wednesday... only in their ignorance they bump the Ravens into an impossible situation.

So now, as opposed to making changes to their schedule that's likely close to/already completed... they pull a proverbial gun onto the MLB and threaten them to stand down... or else.

This entire situation is a result of laziness and incompetence. But the ones left to pay for the result is Ravens Nation and the city of Baltimore. As opposed to being celebrated like victors, this situation will turn into a civil court bloodshed, public opinion vs public opinion. Both teams should be celebrated, uniting the community, instead... it will only cause further strain.

A planned bullet and an ignorant bullet have the same result....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29420
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy melodrama, Batman.

What else could it be? It could be any number of things. It could be that the NFL is playing hardball for now as a negotiating ploy because they think the idea of forcing the MLB to change its schedule is an invaluable show of force. It could be that there are decision makers within the NFL office who actually do have strong feelings about playing on Rosh Hashanah. It doesn't have to be that Bob Kraft is blocking a move to Wednesday. We don't have to play the Pats to begin with, and if the NFL is exploring possibilities where the Ravens would start the season on the road, it's clear that the schedule isn't set in stone yet.

If Kraft was the ONLY reason we couldn't play the preferred candidate on Wednesday because he doesn't want the Pats playing on Rosh Hashanah, then it would be far less of a headache to do the traditional Super Bowl champ home game against someone like the Broncos or Steelers on Wednesday night rather than start the Ravens on the road. We either play the Pats at home in Week 1 or we play them at home later in the year. If playing them in Week 1 is impossible, then it's not like by default we can't play someone else at home, because the schedule hasn't been drawn up yet, the reason being that they need to work this issue out before they can even make the rest of the schedule.

I'm not saying that it's implausible that Kraft could object to the Pats playing a Wednesday opener, but there's something a little unsettling about how quickly you're sharpening the knives in his direction based on literally nothing but speculation that pretty quickly ventures into tinfoil hat conspiracy mongering.

Also, as far as getting mad about a franchise theoretically asking the NFL office for some leeway in scheduling them as the Week 1 road opponenet against the SB champ, please remember that in 2009, the Ravens specifically requested that the league not match them up as defending champion Pittsburgh's Week 1 primetime season kickoff opponent, and the league acquiesced.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 22485
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny you guys are talking about boycotting the Orioles. I've been doing that for years Cool #HipsterStatus
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HokieRaven5


Joined: 29 Sep 2009
Posts: 1649
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
it would be far less of a headache to do the traditional Super Bowl champ home game against someone like the Broncos or Steelers on Wednesday night rather than start the Ravens on the road.


Once again didn't mean to make this out to become a conspiracy theory type situation just a thought that crossed my mind as a potential reason for why the wednesday aspect of it would be an issue.

As far as the opening game on a Wednesday the only options for teams to have are New England, Houston, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Cincy, Cleveland, Jets, Vikings.

Can leave the Vikings and Packers out of it since they've only had 1 NFC AFC matchup to start the season since 2004. Cincy started our season last year on primetime so odds are they wouldn't be a viable option. Cleveland had a thursday game here last season so they would probably not want to participate. The Jets.... well who wants to watch that one..

Leaves Pittsburgh, Houston, and New England as the only options for the opening game. I'd imagine Pitt doesn't exactly want to start on primetime on the road again.

So really Houston and New England most viable options to start the season and have the kind of draw the NFL would want out of a Season Opener. Kraft has stated that he wants his team to play the Ravens week 1. http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/56477/morning-take-kraft-wants-ravens-in-week-1 So maybe try and do everything in your power to give a guy what he wants because you know Bisciotti doesn't care who the Ravens play what week at home because he has that confidence in the team.

If I had a say I'd just give it to Houston and move the game to Wednesday, but now that the NFL has started this public backlash of sorts they themselves can't back down from their own statements of not playing on Wednesday at all and try and pin this on the MLB for not having the foresight in September 2012 that the Ravens would win the Super Bowl and would require that date.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Holy melodrama, Batman.

What else could it be? It could be any number of things. It could be that the NFL is playing hardball for now as a negotiating ploy because they think the idea of forcing the MLB to change its schedule is an invaluable show of force. It could be that there are decision makers within the NFL office who actually do have strong feelings about playing on Rosh Hashanah. It doesn't have to be that Bob Kraft is blocking a move to Wednesday. We don't have to play the Pats to begin with, and if the NFL is exploring possibilities where the Ravens would start the season on the road, it's clear that the schedule isn't set in stone yet.

If Kraft was the ONLY reason we couldn't play the preferred candidate on Wednesday because he doesn't want the Pats playing on Rosh Hashanah, then it would be far less of a headache to do the traditional Super Bowl champ home game against someone like the Broncos or Steelers on Wednesday night rather than start the Ravens on the road. We either play the Pats at home in Week 1 or we play them at home later in the year. If playing them in Week 1 is impossible, then it's not like by default we can't play someone else at home, because the schedule hasn't been drawn up yet, the reason being that they need to work this issue out before they can even make the rest of the schedule.

I'm not saying that it's implausible that Kraft could object to the Pats playing a Wednesday opener, but there's something a little unsettling about how quickly you're sharpening the knives in his direction based on literally nothing but speculation that pretty quickly ventures into tinfoil hat conspiracy mongering.

Also, as far as getting mad about a franchise theoretically asking the NFL office for some leeway in scheduling them as the Week 1 road opponenet against the SB champ, please remember that in 2009, the Ravens specifically requested that the league not match them up as defending champion Pittsburgh's Week 1 primetime season kickoff opponent, and the league acquiesced.

Who said anything about sharpening the knives and blaming Kraft... speaking of jumping to conclusions you have no idea of my position.

You even mention that I have some sort of issue with an AFCCG rematch being declined by the opposition.. I don't.

How about you backtrack, reread, and come again. My position is that the Ravens should NEVER be in this position to begin with. And that to put them in this position is a betrayal of the integrity of the league.

YOU are the one jumping to conclusions regarding my motive. I could care less if Kraft wants to play us opening day or not. I could care less if he declined for religious reasons. If he doesn't want the Ravens to play the Pats... he can say that... and like I've stated with the Steelers and Broncos taking their place, it wouldn't bother me. I see the alternatives and alternative plot lines that they could produce for those games.

The fact of the matter however is that the NFL has placed the Ravens and Baltimore into a precarious position where we lose either way. My THEORY is that it was done to appease Kraft, sure. And given the evidence, that seems to be a logical course. Because what would they gain from a power play such as this one? It does not improve the station of the NFL and could only seek to weaken it. If there was provocation for them to pull such a stunt, that would make sense, but as there isn't any known provocation... that explanation doesn't make sense at this time with the evidence at hand.

But back to the point, my theory being right or not.. the point is by potentially compromising the victor's position, the NFL is essentially showing a lack of care for what it means to be the victor of the NFL season. If the schedule was far from complete, then the logical scenario would simply be to move onto plan b or c with the Ravens in terms of opponents... this wouldn't even be news then because it would be as simple as done. But since it IS news, then it leaves the options of power play or laziness. As I've mentioned earlier, the power play seems unlikely since it wasn't provoked. Either way, the Ravens will suffer in the court of public opinion (the Orioles too) because of this stunt.

And the third option about the NFL suddenly becoming conscious of what important days they play games on... Laughing

We're talking about an organization that plays its games EVERY Sunday, that plays games on most major holidays- including Christmas.. when it falls on Sunday. So the idea that one holiday suddenly became important enough to cancel course per the usual without one of the other two options above being the case... is simply not logical.

So really, considering the other theories you mentioned/proposed, I still don't find any theory to make as much since here as the one that I believe to be the case.

And now that the Ravens have been used as a bullet by the NFL, it's unlikely that they will suddenly just come to their senses and say... you know what, let's just replace the Patriots with the Texans (read the wrong schedule that said the Broncos were a potential home game option) and make this easy.

Really, I hope the MLB backsdown here and in so doing, uses this as an opportunity to take a shot at the NFL's integrity. That appears to be the best case scenario.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29420
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to get into a long-winded debate about this, because quite frankly it's not worth it. All I'll say is that you have to consider not just what you say, but how you say it and the fact that words have a meaning and context beyond what is presented at face value.

And I think when you respond to someone's observation about Robert Kraft being Jewish by launching into a diatribe about how the whole situation reaks of the NFL prioritizing the Patriots over the Ravens and the city of Baltimore and things along that line, calling the Pats and Kraft by extension a 'self centered pansy'... well, let's just say that there are reasons why a 'trace this to the Jews!' route can be off-putting, and from my vantage point it's not hard to see your post as thinly-veiled Jew-baiting on one level. And sure, it's a theory. But it's a theory that is honestly mildly offensive, given the vitriol and tone you show even given a lack of hard evidence. I don't think any of that is intentional on your part, but that doesn't mean it doesn't permeate in certain ways.

I'm not trying to be over-sensitive, but I also think you need to pick your words a little more carefully.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I'm not going to get into a long-winded debate about this, because quite frankly it's not worth it. All I'll say is that you have to consider not just what you say, but how you say it and the fact that words have a meaning and context beyond what is presented at face value.

And I think when you respond to someone's observation about Robert Kraft being Jewish by launching into a diatribe about how the whole situation reaks of the NFL prioritizing the Patriots over the Ravens and the city of Baltimore and things along that line, calling the Pats and Kraft by extension a 'self centered pansy'... well, let's just say that there are reasons why a 'trace this to the Jews!' route can be off-putting, and from my vantage point it's not hard to see your post as thinly-veiled Jew-baiting on one level. And sure, it's a theory. But it's a theory that is honestly mildly offensive, given the vitriol and tone you show even given a lack of hard evidence. I don't think any of that is intentional on your part, but that doesn't mean it doesn't permeate in certain ways.

I'm not trying to be over-sensitive, but I also think you need to pick your words a little more carefully.

I called the Patriots self centered pansies because I dislike them. I dislike them more than the Steelers. Entertainment is increased exponentially when one has heroes and villains. The Patriots represent the idea of a villain- for now. Their villainhood was fully conceived the day we lost that game in 07... and since then, it's been fun for me to root against them. Call them petty names whenever I feel. And the action of complaining seems consistent with Tom Brady complaining to the refs more than most players and BB acting like he's a god above media responsibilities.

And in this instance, the most logical conclusion seemed to me that the Patriots were indirectly responsible for putting the Ravens in this position. I dislike them, so why wouldn't I call them pansies? It's as simple as that. And like I said in response to my first rant, the response that you quoted... I don't believe the Ravens are being respected in this situation, in fact, the opposite seems true. Hence the point of my rant... to quote myself, "Even with winning a Super Bowl this team can't get the proper amount of respect... and that is most disrespectful of all."

In terms of religious overtones... I read and reread my posts. Perhaps there is something there, but I suppose I'm not looking hard enough. The only message consistent in all of my posts have been two things: The Ravens being disrespected... and this effecting the integrity of the league.

In terms of choosing my words... it was a rant. I admitted that. I even apologized for ranting in my response to HokieRaven5... because that can come across as seeming like that person is someone I dislike or someone that represents an opposing viewpoint that I detest... or something to that effect. And I actually agreed with the viewpoint he brought up... which is why I posted in this thread in the first place.

But I don't think anyone chooses their words wisely in a rant, it is just that, a rant. Logic is momentarily suspended in favor of feeling. And IMO my feelings reveal that this Ravens team that couldn't get respect from the Diddle-diddle, that couldn't get respect for the Rocky Mountain Rainbow, that couldn't get respect during the entire journey... still can't seem to get any extra level of respect. It's simply unfair.

EDIT: Though if my comments offended you or your potential belief system, then I apologize. Like I said, I was ranting based on the disrespect the Ravens consistently receive and the lack of integrity by not recognizing them as champions in the same fashion as those who have come before.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensfanRD


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1660
Location: Baltimore, MD (Land of the Greatness)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw Thursday Night Football.

Give me Sunday Night Football, primetime, America is watching.

New England @ Ravens

Shower in the bliss that is the Reigning Superbowl Champion Ravens.

Done.

/thread
_________________

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 13080
Location: N.W.O
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
Screw Thursday Night Football.

Give me Sunday Night Football, primetime, America is watching.

New England @ Ravens

Shower in the bliss that is the Reigning Superbowl Champion Ravens.

Done.

/thread


This guy. This guy right here. This guy gets it.

Cool
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group