Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens will start the season on the road: thanks Joe Flacco
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Ravens will start the season on the road: thanks Joe Flacco Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏@jeffzrebiecsun
NFL season opener in Baltimore now in limbo as Ravens and Orioles can't compromise http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-nfl-season-opener-in-limbo-as-baltimore-ravens-and-orioles-cant-agree-20130318,0,5185525.story

Quote:
To change game time by more than 30 mins, O's would need Players Association, MLB and White Sox approval. They don't think they'd get all 3.

Quote:
#Ravens also have offered to make financial contribution to make this happen but per source, it's not about that for the #Orioles.

Quote:
It's a baseball matter to them and a matter of them and White Sox not wanting to play day game after playing in other cities previous night

This is complete BS. Can't take the day off and then do a day/night doubleheader the next day? Sounds more like Angelos is being Angelos and just demanding more money when the Ravens have already offered. It's one home game amid 80 others against the White Sox, as opposed to getting to celebrate a Super Bowl championship and have the eyes of the U.S. on Baltimore for a night to ring in the NFL year.

Look, I love the Orioles too, but they're just making things difficult for themselves here. You don't cross the Ravens. Who do they think people are going to side with, Steve Bisciotti and the world champion Ravens, or the ambulance-chaser Peter Angelos and the Orioles with their 1 winning season in the past 15 years? The Ravens are royalty and the Orioles only just began winning back the trust of the city and fans with this past season. It's a mistake for them to risk the goodwill of Baltimore fans over this. It's not even going to matter what the details are. Nobody will take Angelos' side over Bisciotti's when it comes down to it.

In the end, I think/hope they'll find a way to get the O's to cave. If the Ravens have to start the season on the road, you'll be able to hear a pin drop during that White Sox/Orioles game, because nobody is going to show up for it unless we're in the thick of the playoff hunt knowing that we're losing the NFL season opener because of it. I think part of the reason the story is leaking now is to turn public outrage against the Orioles and force them to make accomodations, and I hope it works.

Though I have to say, it's also a little weird that the NFL doesn't want to play on Rosh Hashanah. They play on plenty of other holidays, and I can't imagine it's really that big a deal... probably has to do more with the NFL wanting to stare down the MLB and win by getting their way.

Last edited by BaltimoreTerp on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL is King. I have no doubt something will be worked out towards the Ravens favor.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOD DAMN BASEBALL! Football matters infinitely more. Accept it and GTFO the way.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't back down for the Ravens, like you said, nobody will show up that day.

Angelos needs to realize that his team is 2nd in line in Baltimore.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked baseball....
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness to the orioles, MLB, mlbpa, and sox are all parties to this decision.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL didn't seem to have an issue having 2 games fall during Rosh Hashanah in 2012 on Sept 16 and 17th since it a 2 day celebration.

NFL seems to now be playing the bully/court of public opinion approach which will work to their benefit and obviously the detriment of the MLB, MLBPA, Orioles, and White Sox.

Have no problem with all those involved with the baseball process trying to play hardball back since their schedule was made last September to begin with. Try and get whatever money you can out of the cash cow that is the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you guys really hate Baseball, huh? Sad Makes me a saaaaad panda!

Either way, as a Baseball player I can tell you that there will be TONS of opportunities to see the Orioles play at home against the White Sox this year, or if you're going to see their ace throw (who I don't even know who it is), there will be PLENTY of chances to see him throw.

I agree with all of you guys, the MLB needs to back the eff down on this one, because the Ravens just won the Superbowl! The Ravens get, what, 8 home games a year? The Orioles get, what, like over 90 or something like that, I don't even know, but all I'm saying is that fans get 8 chances to see the Ravens play at home, whereas Orioles fans get almost a hundred chances to see their team at home.

Not to mention the market for Ravens games is way bigger than the market for Orioles games. Even as a Baseball player I can accept the fact that the NFL is infinitely more appealing to the masses than Baseball is.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it's not going to happen (losing the home game). The Orioles are concerned about losing ticket sales by moving that one game.

IF they insist on forcing the Ravens to move the opener, then us fans will start facebook/etc. petitions to boycott attending all Orioles games for the entire season and they'll lose a lot more money.
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that the baseball season is soo damn long. This is my least favorite time of the year because baseball season is coming in and sports talk goes away from the Ravens and onto the Orioles.

In a sick, twisted way, I will actually enjoy the MLB getting put in their place by the NFL one way or another here.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't mind me, I can't do math.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."

Last edited by SnA ExclusiVe on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will get done or the Orioles are dead to this city.

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orioles opening day attendance was 46,773 last year.

We should easily be able to get a petition/pledge from twice that many Marylanders to go to one less Oriole game if this happens.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what, after hearing a whole bunch of opinions on both sides, I don't think the orioles are "wrong" here. That being said they're not going to win the pr battle, so they should try to cut some sort of deal. Not saying the Wednesday ravens game is a perfect solution, but the RH argument is bs IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
You know what, after hearing a whole bunch of opinions on both sides, I don't think the orioles are "wrong" here. That being said they're not going to win the pr battle, so they should try to cut some sort of deal. Not saying the Wednesday ravens game is a perfect solution, but the RH argument is bs IMHO.

I don't necessarily think they are "wrong", but I do think they (and all parties involved) need to understand this isn't just a "Week 1" game for the Ravens -- this is the "prize" of winning the Super Bowl. It's important. They need to make a special exception in this instance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: