Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sebastian Vollmer???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Sebastian Vollmer??? Reply with quote

Let me preface this by saying I know he will still command too much money BUT-

News on Sebastian Vollmer has been very quiet. Many will say teams were waiting to see what Long gets before making an offer, which may be true but almost a week into free agency and we haven't even heard his name brought up while other OTs have gone.

Multiple people on this forum have said the Giants should make one splash signing in FA.. why not Vollmer? We have not spent much money at all soo far (mostly minimum contracts) and this would greatly solidify our OL. Vollmer is younger than Boothe and most would say the better player. Why not sign Vollmer instead of Boothe and worry about an answer at LG?

Now, we all know the Giants are still tight on cash but it wouldnt be an impossibility either... What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes yes. Even bring him in so we know exactly where he is at physically. Bringing him in even for a visit should give us more power with diehls pay cut and maybe boothe negotiations. I think Eli and Snee would give back a bit of cash to have him here.
kitchenbags

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been following on what the patriots are doing with this but I would assume that they are trying to lock him up

For Tom Brady's sake atleast
Acgott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What contract do you perceive the Giants giving him
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vollmer based on 2012 deserves a multi-year deal. At 29, he's one of the top Right Tackles in football with the versatility to play the Left Side. In seeking a multi-year contract, he ultimately runs into the same hurdle as Jake Long.

Prior to FA, Long was rumored to be seeking 10 M annually. After settling for 4 Years 36.0 M w/ St. Louis, concerns about his longterm durability created a major concern in St. Louis. His physical stretched what seemed like a Week.

Vollmer is 29, a year older than Long & also represented by Tom Condon of CAA Sports. Similarly, Vollmer has major durability questions. Throughout his career prior to 2012, he's been bothered by back issues. Missed the entire 2006 Season at University of Houston with an issue. He's had multiple procedures, likely dealing with discs.

So would I be willing to offer Vollmer a multi year deal? Not positive. Would require intensive examination of his back. Plus, he's no spring chicken.

I would consider Rams OT Barry Richardson. Bit of a journeymen but a bid body that's only 27. Would be cheaper. Represented by Condon's runningmate, Jimmy Sexton.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Vollmer based on 2012 deserves a multi-year deal. At 29, he's one of the top Right Tackles in football with the versatility to play the Left Side. In seeking a multi-year contract, he ultimately runs into the same hurdle as Jake Long.

Prior to FA, Long was rumored to be seeking 10 M annually. After settling for 4 Years 36.0 M w/ St. Louis, concerns about his longterm durability created a major concern in St. Louis. His physical stretched what seemed like a Week.

Vollmer is 29, a year older than Long & also represented by Tom Condon of CAA Sports. Similarly, Vollmer has major durability questions. Throughout his career prior to 2012, he's been bothered by back issues. Missed the entire 2006 Season at University of Houston with an issue. He's had multiple procedures, likely dealing with discs.

So would I be willing to offer Vollmer a multi year deal? Not positive. Would require intensive examination of his back. Plus, he's no spring chicken.

I would consider Rams OT Barry Richardson. Bit of a journeymen but a bid body that's only 27. Would be cheaper. Represented by Condon's runningmate, Jimmy Sexton.

Yes to Richardson. Would be cheap but I think we should but faith in Brewer... Doesn't hurt to have a backup. I've heard rumors of Brewer playing at guard.. Richardson at RT ? Cheap depth is nice.
ESKY008

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
What contract do you perceive the Giants giving him

I think the average salary for a healthy RT is 5 year $25mill. Eg Clabo, Winston. Stewart got about $6 annually.

Good question. Talentwise easily these if not more. Injury history of back and knee as well as a February knee operation. Plus 0 FA attention

No idea but a 1 year $3-4mill prove it deal might get it done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: