Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Really ?? Polumbus is Back --
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at our 7 game win streak and go back and watch Polumbus. He didn't do as badly as you guys make it out to be.

In fact I think he improved as the year went on. Its what happens when you face the opposing #1's during the year. You get better as you go up against the best of the other team. Your confidence goes up and your skill improves.

Watch Polumbus be our starter Week 1. I can guarantee that he is going to be leaps ahead of where he was last year.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Look at our 7 game win streak and go back and watch Polumbus. He didn't do as badly as you guys make it out to be.

In fact I think he improved as the year went on. Its what happens when you face the opposing #1's during the year. You get better as you go up against the best of the other team. Your confidence goes up and your skill improves.

Watch Polumbus be our starter Week 1. I can guarantee that he is going to be leaps ahead of where he was last year.
so you're saying he might crack the top 32 Rts in the nfl next year? Shoot, I'd take that bet. He is what he is, below average and should be a 4th tackle on a team or a 4th guard.

He's our stephon Heyer but since Shanahan signed him as an udfa out of Colorado, we employ him. No one else in the league signed him since FA opened last week, he only had one other team look at him seriously, Jax.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marcus21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think its fair to say no othe team showed intreest other than Jax.....He doesnt fit most blocking schemes. I think he did get better toward the end of the season last year. He was great in run blocking. Sure he needs some work pass blocking, but to compare him to Hyer isnt fair. Im hoping he and Compton have a serious battle in camp for the position......it will be fun to watch
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
I dont think its fair to say no othe team showed intreest other than Jax.....He doesnt fit most blocking schemes. I think he did get better toward the end of the season last year. He was great in run blocking. Sure he needs some work pass blocking, but to compare him to Hyer isnt fair. Im hoping he and Compton have a serious battle in camp for the position......it will be fun to watch
you just described Stephon Heyer. Good in run blocking, bad in pass blocking. He's a good reserve but having him start is not something I want again but it may happen (unfortunately).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ktizzzlee21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanny is building competition for the RT position. Best case scenario Comption goes into training camp as the underdog and has an amazing camp and becomes the starter by week 1. But if he's not ready atleast you have capable players able to perform there role.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
you just described Stephon Heyer. Good in run blocking, bad in pass blocking. He's a good reserve but having him start is not something I want again but it may happen (unfortunately).

Hyer was all around bad. Horrible untimely penalties and mental mistakes. Polumbus was solid run blocker and getting better pass blocker....very few mental mistakes.......give the dude some credit
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

Hyer was all around bad. Horrible untimely penalties and mental mistakes. Polumbus was solid run blocker and getting better pass blocker....very few mental mistakes.......give the dude some credit
I guess We'll just have to disagree. Heyer had his moments when we all loved his potential but then never kept progressing. Polumbus is a good run blocker in this scheme but Heyer also had his moments. The problem is consistently and neither player is really consistent which is why they should be reserves but we might not have that luxury like we did back when Heyer was here, we had to start him because Vinny refused to draft a Rt prospect or being in someone decent to compete for the job for years after Jansen retired.

I think we all can agree that we want Compton to start, let's just hope he develops enough so he starts over these journeymen.

Last edited by turtle28 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rizzy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

Wasn't Heyer the opposite, could on pass blocking bad on run blocking. Which is why he did better at LT than RT. And of course, good at getting penalties.
NHL-Capitals
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzy wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

Wasn't Heyer the opposite, could on pass blocking bad on run blocking. Which is why he did better at LT than RT. And of course, good at getting penalties.
maybe, I just know Bugel liked him and wanted to develop him and make him his personal project but he quit progressing from what he was as a rookie and 2nd year player.

rizzy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah him and Chris Horton, started so well and then...
NHL-Capitals
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

so you're saying he might crack the top 32 Rts in the nfl next year? Shoot, I'd take that bet. He is what he is, below average and should be a 4th tackle on a team or a 4th guard.

He's our stephon Heyer but since Shanahan signed him as an udfa out of Colorado, we employ him. No one else in the league signed him since FA opened last week, he only had one other team look at him seriously, Jax.

Turtle, you seem to think we're going to get some stud with talent like Williams to bookend at RT. Show me where that person is and then tell me how, with limited cap space and needs at S and CB, we are going to pick them up in FA or the draft.

Not gonna happen.

So we roll with Trueblood, Pashos, Compton and Polumbus.

All are about the same level for me. Except Compton didn't get the job over Polumbus (I forget so if it was due to injury my bad, but I thought Compton was beat out by Tyler last year).

Polumbus handled some pretty good pass rushers in the last 7 games of the season last year and held up pretty well.

Again, is he the 2nd coming of Jon Jansen? No. Is he a serviceable RT until we can find a stud next year? Yes.

Is he going to be improved from last year? Yes.

Do people equate him unfavorably to Heyer? Yes, and I am at a loss to explain why they think Polumbus is as bad as Heyer when I'd take Tyler 10 times out of 10 over Stephon.

It is what it is fellas. You guys looking for Pashos or Trueblood or even Compton to be our starter Week 1 may be sorely disappointed.

This is what happens when we have to deal with the cap penalty. Better start dealing with it now because our options at RT aren't going to improve unless we get EXTREMELY lucky in the 4th round and find a stud at RT.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

Turtle, you seem to think we're going to get some stud with talent like Williams to bookend at RT. Show me where that person is and then tell me how, with limited cap space and needs at S and CB, we are going to pick them up in FA or the draft.

Not gonna happen.

All are about the same level for me. Except Compton didn't get the job over Polumbus (I forget so if it was due to injury my bad, but I thought Compton was beat out by Tyler last year).

Polumbus handled some pretty good pass rushers in the last 7 games of the season last year and held up pretty well.

Again, is he the 2nd coming of Jon Jansen? No. Is he a serviceable RT until we can find a stud next year? Yes.

Do people equate him unfavorably to Heyer? Yes, and I am at a loss to explain why they think Polumbus is as bad as Heyer when I'd take Tyler 10 times out of 10 over Stephon.

It is what it is fellas. You guys looking for Pashos or Trueblood or even Compton to be our starter Week 1 may be sorely disappointed.

This is what happens when we have to deal with the cap penalty. Better start dealing with it now because our options at RT aren't going to improve unless we get EXTREMELY lucky in the 4th round and find a stud at RT.
I think there is a really good chance Compton is our starter. Many scouts had him pegged as a 3rd round pick last year but the level of compeition for him wasn't high so he fell. A lot of people believe we got a steal when we drafted him in the 6th. I'd be surprised if he's not our starter at some point next season and Rich Campbell said the same in an article he did for csn.

Anyways, at some point we are going to have to invest in a RT to protect Rg3 better, maybe we can't do it this year because of the cap penalty, but if Compton doesn't work out or they don't think he will in the future we will need to draft someone else, probably higher like the 2nd or 3rd round and develop that tackle, or we will have to invest in FA and sign a guy for 2 to 5 million like we did with Jamaal Brown. It sucks Brown couldn't stay healthy because we lost two draft picks which could have been RT's when we traded for an injured player.

Right now we are paying our LG, C a few million more than our RT and we are paying our RG 4 million more than our RT and I definitely think RT is a more important position, so I think this problem could be fixed in the future rather easily, if Compton doesn't work out because Polumbus is below average.

He's rated as one of the worst RT's in the NFL just like Stephon Heyer was when he played for us, so maybe he's a tad bit better than Heyer but it's not much.

I'd still take Willie Smith over all our tackles right now except Trent Williams. I still have a hard time dealing with the fact that we cut him to keep Jordan "PED" Black

Dashing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol qe wont get any one in. FA than our players. Maybe trying something new is the best rhing and getting all of our players back.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

Not gonna happen.

I think there is a really good chance Compton is our starter. Many scouts had him pegged as a 3rd round pick last year but the level of compeition for him wasn't high so he fell. A lot of people believe we got a steal when we drafted him in the 6th. I'd be surprised if he's not our starter at some point next season and Rich Campbell said the same in an article he did for csn.

Anyways, at some point we are going to have to invest in a RT to protect Rg3 better, maybe we can't do it this year because of the cap penalty, but if Compton doesn't work out or they don't think he will in the future we will need to draft someone else, probably higher like the 2nd or 3rd round and develop that tackle, or we will have to invest in FA and sign a guy for 2 to 5 million like we did with Jamaal Brown. It sucks Brown couldn't stay healthy because we lost two draft picks which could have been RT's when we traded for an injured player.

Right now we are paying our LG, C a few million more than our RT and we are paying our RG 4 million more than our RT and I definitely think RT is a more important position, so I think this problem could be fixed in the future rather easily, if Compton doesn't work out because Polumbus is below average.

He's rated as one of the worst RT's in the NFL just like Stephon Heyer was when he played for us, so maybe he's a tad bit better than Heyer but it's not much.

I'd still take Willie Smith over all our tackles right now except Trent Williams. I still have a hard time dealing with the fact that we cut him to keep Jordan "PED" Black

I don't disagree that we can do better than Polumbus. But I just think this year ain't the year given our cap issues and issues at other positions. So I agree that we need to invest next year in a stud. Perhaps our 2nd rounder in the 2014 draft should be our new Jansen?

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:

I don't disagree that we can do better than Polumbus. But I just think this year ain't the year given our cap issues and issues at other positions. So I agree that we need to invest next year in a stud. Perhaps our 2nd rounder in the 2014 draft should be our new Jansen?
Where do I sign?

We've wanted a 2nd or 3rd round pick to be invested on a RT since when?

08? or something like that, when we knew Jansen was about done. And we've wanted our FS to be invested in since then also.

Laughing quite funny how somethings never change in 5 years... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: