Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hardy looking for extension
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Hardy looking for extension Reply with quote

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/
Quote:

The agent for Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy has approached team officials about a contract extension before Hardy enters the final year of his rookie deal.

Hardy, 24, had a breakout season in 2012 when he finished with 11 sacks, 23 quarterback pressures and two forced fumbles. Hardy, a sixth-round pick from Ole Miss in 2010, is set to make $1.35 million this season after hitting his salary escalators in 2012.

Drew Rosenhaus, Hardy's agent, recently initiated contract talks with the Panthers, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Thanks CK
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we.. Do we have money for this? I thought our Cap was going to be a problem for a couple years.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to keep Hardy around for the next 4-5 years, he's just about to enter his prime; at least I feel he is. Too bad we don't have the cash to give him a good pay day.

Maybe he'll settle for a spot in a Bojangles commercial?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup this is what happens when you ruin your salary cap for a good 3-4 years for idiotic deals to average players.

We won't be able to afford to keep him and he will leave in FA and make big money.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I would love to keep Hardy around for the next 4-5 years, he's just about to enter his prime; at least I feel he is. Too bad we don't have the cash to give him a good pay day.

Maybe he'll settle for a spot in a Bojangles commercial?
Any deal would have to be heavy on the guaranteed money to make it work, especially to keep the salary low the first year out. Won't be easy, but it could be done.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could definitely extend him. The deal, however, would likely be backloaded. The issue in that is, how would it interfere with re-signing Cam Newton (if we don't give Newton an extension after this season and end up waiting until he is a potential free agent) and Luke Kuechly? Hardy, and Johnson as well for that matter, would be getting big bank around the time Kuechly's deal is about up.

That will be for the front office to decide but on that same token, I'd imagine the league cap may be different around that time and we will have plenty of guys who are taking up the cap as of now gone by then. So I do believe we can extend Hardy. I hope we do. He's slowly turning into one of my favorite players in the NFL and one of my favorites since I've been a Carolina fan. Still one of my favorite moments -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocdlYUpnJs8
rjkilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're screwed. and everyday i hate hurney a little more

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap money can be found we can do it when we want to.

Thanks CK
Smitty89

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will get rid of 90% of the players on this roster to make room to sign Hardy. Get rid of one or hell even both of the RBs, both are overpaid and one can't stay healthy.

Why would he ever give out that kind of money to RB's, there are so many skilled RBs out there.

The only positions I would dish out top dollar for are QB, WR1, OT, CB1, DE, MLB
in cam we trust

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the money but it would be smart to sign him now because if he has a great year next season we will not be able to keep him without grieving him Charles Johnson money
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in cam we trust wrote:
It depends on the money but it would be smart to sign him now because if he has a great year next season we will not be able to keep him without grieving him Charles Johnson money

While I do agree, he may also get the Ray Edwards treatment, where he will get paid less due to playing beside a producing Charles Johnson. Johnson was producing before Hardy was even draft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
we're screwed. and everyday i hate hurney a little more

We're screwed right now in signing FAs. But we aren't screwed if we wanted to extend Hardy. We could.
CarolinaRoar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cheaper to extend him now rather than resign him at the end of the season, however that wont happen because of our cap situation. But we need to resign Hardy. Its a need. He brings that "edge" to our defense. He was as important as Charles Johnson last season.. re-watch the game film, he was everywhere on the field. I would even go as far as saying he showed more hustle during plays than Johnson, especially when the run went past the initial line there was Hardy always coming from behind. I would like to see if his hustle continues one more season before giving the contract, but I want hardy back. #resigntheKraken #cutDwill
NCSportsGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the guy, Id love for us to keep him, but don't see an extension this yr, hes at the bottom of our priority list right now with the debacle were in as far as cap space. However I don't see Gettleman letting him go anywhere, I can see another solid yr from him this yr, with the way DE contracts took a dive in FA this yr, I could see us guaranteeing a decent sum of money with a 2.5 to 4 mil a yr contract sometime next offseason or by seasons end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to keep him. Two solid DE can do wonders.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: