Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals Resign Maualuga
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
Ocho Cinco wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:
if Rey moves to SLB he wont be on the field as much. We will probably see a lot of Burfict and Lamur (or draft pick) in nickel. If he can focus and learn how to wrap up, he wont be as bad

Burfict wasn't all that good in coverage last year either, just better than Rey or Lawson. Burfict won't quite be a 2 down LB, but he'll be coming out on some obvious passing downs.

Regardless, hes an improvement over Rey (Whom I have come to terms with calling Malabaluga)

woah, where the heck have you been? you cant just show up out of no where

I saw some great numbers on twitter about Rey on the strong side. He was +16 or so against the run and -4 against the pass. As most have said, he will be in on running downs mostly so maybe it won't be as bad.

In the end, we still need a LB who can cover at WLB and maybe 2 and get Burfict out on obvious passing downs

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me wants to believe.... no NEEDS to believe... that moving Rey back to SLB will aleviate what ails him the most... having to think on his feet and make calls. Just line him up and let him play. if he can get back to that, he will be fine. if not, we can cut him down the road (as soon as the end of training camp)
Hokie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go ahead and state for the record that I didn't want Rey back. But when you think about it, it's not the worst thing in the world. Let's look at the positives...

- He will be playing SLB in all likelihood, and not the middle.
- He won't be in as nearly as many passing downs as he's been in the past, where coverage is obviously the weakest part of his game.
- He's an effective 2 down linebacker against the run, which is all he's really going to have to do at SLB.
- It's only a 2 year deal.
- He can't be any worse at SLB than Manny Lawson was, and we managed to finish 6th in total defense in spite of having Lawson at SLB and Rey at MLB. We've essentially upgraded both SLB and MLB.
- We'll still likely bring in a LB with a high draft pick, and hopefully bring back Howard.
- He's only 26. There's still time for him to get better.
- Supposedly he's in getting in great shape (maybe I'm reaching with this "positive").

All in all, this isn't bad as long as he's no longer the MLB and he's not int he game in passing situations.
ark23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
ark23 wrote:
We need to resign Thomas Howard if you ask me. But I think that this is ok because Rey is gonna be a two down LB at SLB, and he was actually pretty good when he played on the strongside. I expect him to start, but he's not gonna be on the field in nickel or on passing downs. And maybe Moch (unless he's moving to DE), Maybin or Joiner can push him at SLB and take some snaps away from him.

This is fine as long as we still realize LB is a priority for the draft.

I think those two sentences are a little contradictory in today's NFL. Especially against some of the AFC powerhouses like the Patriots and Broncos.

Long gone are the days of two down LBs that can play the run well (which honestly Rey can't) but can't rush the passer or cover. We keep trying to find a role for Rey in our defense and it just doesn't exist. What annoys me even more is that I'd rather have a guy like Skuta back instead because he at least provides something on ST.

I really don't see how Rey makes a positive impact anywhere on the team other than the locker room because other players like him. Which is even suspect given his partying history...

No question the value of a two down linebacker is significantly lessened. Which is why I don't think we needed to pay Rey 2 years 6.5 million when we could've found someone in the mid-late rounds of the draft who has the ability to be a two down LB for us.

I think that key is going to be drafting someone like Ogletree or Arthur Brown this year who will be a surefire three down player who can stay on the field in nickel situations. Because right now on the roster we don't have anyone like that. Taze struggled in coverage last year too and Rey was absolutely awful no question. Hopefully Burfict improves significantly, but I wouldn't feel confident in him and Lamur as our nickel LB's.

If we sign Thomas Howard and draft someone within the first two rounds who is a three down backer (Sio Moore/Arthur Brown are the two that fit the bill) then I'll be satisfied with the LB position by and large. But I just hope that signing Rey doesn't allow Marvin/Zimmer to be satisfied with the unit and not address that position early in the draft. That's my biggest concern with this signing.
Ocho Cinco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:
Ocho Cinco wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:
if Rey moves to SLB he wont be on the field as much. We will probably see a lot of Burfict and Lamur (or draft pick) in nickel. If he can focus and learn how to wrap up, he wont be as bad

Burfict wasn't all that good in coverage last year either, just better than Rey or Lawson. Burfict won't quite be a 2 down LB, but he'll be coming out on some obvious passing downs.

Regardless, hes an improvement over Rey (Whom I have come to terms with calling Malabaluga)

woah, where the heck have you been? you cant just show up out of no where

I saw some great numbers on twitter about Rey on the strong side. He was +16 or so against the run and -4 against the pass. As most have said, he will be in on running downs mostly so maybe it won't be as bad.

In the end, we still need a LB who can cover at WLB and maybe 2 and get Burfict out on obvious passing downs

Been busy taking care of some things for the last however long. Moving, getting engaged, working to bleepin much. Once I hit 18 i realized life hates everything. But now that I'm getting settled down and HAVE some free time for the first time in years, I decided I should come bother Beck and TheJ again Smile. You guys know you missed Ocho.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocho Cinco wrote:
Been busy taking care of some things for the last however long. Moving, getting engaged, working to bleepin much. Once I hit 18 i realized life hates everything. But now that I'm getting settled down and HAVE some free time for the first time in years, I decided I should come bother Beck and TheJ again Smile. You guys know you missed Ocho.

I missed your avatar.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Ocho Cinco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Ocho Cinco wrote:

I missed your avatar.

I missed your fatboy sig.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
AFC powerhouses like the Patriots and Broncos....

We all agree too........

signed,

The Houston Texans Offence.......
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
I'll go ahead and state for the record that I didn't want Rey back. But when you think about it, it's not the worst thing in the world. Let's look at the positives...

- He will be playing SLB in all likelihood, and not the middle.
- He won't be in as nearly as many passing downs as he's been in the past, where coverage is obviously the weakest part of his game.
- He's an effective 2 down linebacker against the run, which is all he's really going to have to do at SLB.
- It's only a 2 year deal.
- He can't be any worse at SLB than Manny Lawson was, and we managed to finish 6th in total defense in spite of having Lawson at SLB and Rey at MLB. We've essentially upgraded both SLB and MLB.
- We'll still likely bring in a LB with a high draft pick, and hopefully bring back Howard.
- He's only 26. There's still time for him to get better.
- Supposedly he's in getting in great shape (maybe I'm reaching with this "positive").

All in all, this isn't bad as long as he's no longer the MLB and he's not int he game in passing situations.

I really do like the last two points. He is young and I read as well how he's working out a lot more. Doing MMA training like Keith Rivers did before he left. Difference being Rivers was always in good shape, just sucked on the field. Rey does need to be in better shape, so this might actually help him on the field...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
wrminning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping they draft a MLB, leaving Taz at WLB and moving Rey back to SLB. I think it will be Kevin Minter. That would help in our POA but we really need a Safety to help against the pass. A good Safety would take a lot of pressure off our Linebackers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it the more I am ok with it. We just need to do something about the WLB then. Someone who can cover.

Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone makes a big deal about Ocho Cinco, but no one says anything about wrminning (which I will always read as mr winning)? It's like I don't even know you guys anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin said today he doesnt anticipate Rey making the switch back to SLB. Awesome...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
Marvin said today he doesnt anticipate Rey making the switch back to SLB. Awesome...

Clearly we value continuity over everything. Get ready for two more seasons of mediocracy.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:

Clearly we value continuity over everything. Get ready for two more seasons of mediocracy.

What the hell. So keep him at MLB? How do they think that is even an ok idea.

I give up if they keep him as the starting MLB. I'm fine with keeping Burfict at WLB, but not if Rey is the MLB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: