Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Updated Team Needs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRT2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Updated Team Needs? Reply with quote

Hey Fellas,

After Recent Free Agency, I was wondering if you could help me on an updated list of Team Needs, this is what I have so far:

HIGH Priorities: (Possible Reach)
Feature Wide Receiver (not a slot or possession guy)
Nose Tackle
StrongSide Inside Linebacker
Cornerback

MEDIUM Priorities: (Wont reach)
Slot Receiver
Right Tackle
Guard
Tight End
Left Tackle
34 Outside Linebacker
WeakSide Inside linebacker
Free Safety

LOW Priorities: (Draft for depth)
::fill in the blank::

...Correct me on any mistakes please
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take CB off your list of "high priorities". So far we have lost Allen Ball, and we might lose Brice McCain, but they aren't big losses.

Brian Cushing plays the strongside ILB position, so thats not a high priority either. We just need a guy who can play along side him. As of right now we don't have anyone that offers that.

High priorities:

Wide Receiver: IDK if it's a deep threat, or a possession receiver. We need someone who can take the pressure off of Andre Johnson. We might need to draft 2 WR's again because there's no telling how DeVier Posey will be when he comes back from injury.

ILB: I can almost guarantee that we won't address ILB in round 1, but we need a help at the position bad.

FS: As of right now Shiloh Keo is our starting FS. I fully expect us to address this position via free agency, but if we do not then we HAVE to draft a FS early.

Medium Priorities:

RT: Whether Texans fans like it or not, Derek Newton will be our starter at RT. Kubiak seems to love him and felt that Newton played very well towards the end of the season, but that does not mean we should ignore this position in the draft. We need depth at RT.

NT: Shaun Cody is a FA, and Earl Mitchell is the starter at NT as of "right now". Wade Phillips doesn't like "huge" nose tackles, but we still need a guy who can draw double teams to take less pressure off our pass rushers like JJ Watt and Antonio Smith.

OLB: Wade Phillips likes to use a 3 OLB rotation for his defense. We lost Connor Barwin, and we need another OLB to go with Brooks Reed and Whitney Mercilus.

Low Priorities:

TE: Sure we lost Casey, but Garrett Graham played "OK" as a backup to Owen Daniels. Gary Kubiak loves his tight ends, and I expect one of our late picks to be used on one.

RB: We lost Justin Forsett to the Jaguars, so we could use a RB to backup Foster and Tate. Tate will most likely be gone after this season so RB could be an even bigger need.

CB: We lost Allan Ball and we could use Brice McCain. We need depth at CB after Joseph, and Kareem Jackson.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs? Everything from Head Coach on down.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree with some of the above:

Top Priorities
WR - clear top priority - need quality #2 starter at minimum - likely need upgrade at slot as well
FS - clear #2 priority. 2013 starter likely to be addressed via FA with older vet, but will remain near the top as we need another FS as well, due to preponderance of time 3rd safety is on field.
CB - Texansfan is deluded. You can't go into a season with injury prone Joseph, marginal Jackson, and Harris who clearly has not been ready for prime time his first 2 seasons (we have 0 hope of advancing past NE or Denver with current secondary). Adding more Roc Carmichael, McManus mid round types won't suffice.

Secondary Priority
ILB - Yes it's a need, but an oft-overstated one as Cushing is one of the best and #2 gets as many snaps as #3 S does.
NT - Ditto. Mitchell is marginal starter, but Antonio and Watt kick inside so often, not as big of a deal as most make it.
RT - Might be ahead of other two depending on satisfaction with Newton. Texans are a tough read on o-lineman as they tend to say good things about everyone's development even when nobody else sees it (Caldwell).
3-4 OLB/DE - wouldn't shock anyone to see this as high as 2nd round, especially if it's more of a DE type to take Barwin's spot in 4-3 initially as I think they prefer Reed at OLB.
4-3 DT/DE - basically depth behind Antonio Smith or his eventual replacement.
TE - wouldn't shock me one bit to see us take one anywhere from 1st (Tyler Eifert) to 4th.
RB - We'd be nuts not to take one. Kubiak abused Foster last year with mileage bill likely due this year, Tate is unreliable and in a walk year, and Forsett is gone. Likely a low pick, but preferred to UDFA.
P - Donnie Jones is fallback. I think they know it's time to stop wasting cap on FA punters and one who can handle kickoffs would be a bonus as that was one hangup with Bullock in 2012 pre-season (although not sure how injury effected).
QB - nobody is going to be shocked if we grab a QB as early as the 2nd. Yates was drafted to be a career backup and lacks a starter's toolset. Schaub has diminishing window to take the next step and they may pull trigger if right value prospect falls to us to groom for 2014-2015.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how you called me deluded when I said ILB is a bigger need at CB because we need insurance in case Joseph is hurt and Kareem is marginal yet you say ILB is a secondary priority when it's not telling how Cushing will come back from injury. Who exactly would replace him at ILB if we don't resign James, or Dobbins? (Neither should be starters anyway, but you get the point)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS WR really a huge top need when

Posey will be back healthy I think along with kevin martin ..???

I say are needs are

ILB whos going to play along cushing and one that will be able to cover the flats in this day of age of lots of passing

we also lost what Quinn could do PLAY a DB in OLB or MLB postion but still be able to come up and lay the wood if need be

so another ...Verstile DB would be nice be able to play CB or S ..yet still be able to take out a Giant TE or RB

if wade really want 3 OLB then I guess another one would be nice

has far has the O

FB but u can find one off the streets for that

I don't know are O is pretty much set anything new would just be depth .... unless the only thing the team does not believe in Newton and wants to get a elite RT

other then that I don't see much I wish this was last year and we could get another QB that's what we really need roll the dice and draft one in round 2 or 3 swoop in and take one from another team that u know would be eyeing him in rd 2 or 3

maybe strike gold and get like a Wilson or Kapernick type QB or hell maybe RGIII type QB or better ....

Maybe next year some how we can get johnny football LOL

So year team needs QB we need to either draft or F/A a QB to bad this year it sucks for QB's ...or maybe the ball club still believes Yates is schaubs heir in waiting
dsorc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top needs 2 needs should be pretty straightforward:
WR - We need a starter for this year and possibly the future. Posey got a grand total of 87 yards and will likely lose the season because of injury.
S or coverage LB - Reed is not playing the Quin role on passing downs so that role stills needs to be filled. Namely, we need somebody that can play man coverage on TEs.

After that it's just depth everywhere. We might grab a RT to compete with Newton but I don't know if Kubiak will give up on him as fast as the fans have (including me).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
I love how you called me deluded when I said ILB is a bigger need at CB because we need insurance in case Joseph is hurt and Kareem is marginal yet you say ILB is a secondary priority when it's not telling how Cushing will come back from injury. Who exactly would replace him at ILB if we don't resign James, or Dobbins? (Neither should be starters anyway, but you get the point)

Delusion was in prioritizing ILB over FS and/or CB (and yes delusion is probably too strong of a word for it). There is nothing that would indicate Cushing won't be 100% ready to go, so 2013 will already vastly better than 2/3rds of 2012 at ILB. If we got by with low-rent space fillers like James, Dobbins, Sharpton, and Ruud as starters without Cushing, there certainly is no cause to make this a #2 priority WITH him. However, we already KNOW that this secondary is a disaster without Joseph back there for any period and Quin was essentially our nickle back on passing downs. Joseph is an injury prone player at an injury prone position, so closing the gap between him and his replacement is more critical than say LT, where Brown has been a rock aside from the suspension. It's also why WR needs to be such a priority as we already know how useless we were without AJ and now we don't even have Jacoby or Walter.

Now that we have Ed Reed on board, we get that center-fielder type that will offer a much better traditional safety net with playmaking upside behind J-Joe and Jackson with Manning focusing on traditional strong safety TE coverage. Problem remains that that still means we don't have anyone to cover the slot like Quin did and Harris and McCain can't be trusted in man to man coverage, especially with guys like Welker, Amendola, Hilton, Wright, etc standing between us and playoff success. Additionally, Ed Reed is basically a one year hired gun who we may milk an extra year out of, so the long-term need for a well rounded coverage safety remains, especially with the amount of time our #3 safety still spends on the field.

Ultimately, I don't think we disagree THAT much as clearly we need an ILB, I just would be satisfied with a 3rd-5th round solution or a stop-gap signing at ILB as all we need is a run stopping ILB that can cover TE2 types and that can even be two different players (or just bringing James/Dobbins back). Dansby would be a major upgrade, but I doubt he'd be worth the expense unless he's willing to play cheap for a chance to actually win some games for a change. We can kick the tires on a Bart Scott/Ed Reed reunion as well and see if he'll play for a bit more than James got last year.

Meanwhile, I'd like to see secondary addressed in some manner with a 2nd round safety and/or an experienced CB alternative like Gamble, Grimes, Hall, Jammer, Jenkins as long as they are willing to accept that they are depth signings with a great opportunity to rehab their image like Pacman/Newman did last year (I would make sure they can run though, as the last thing we need is another corner that can be burned deep out of the slot). BTW - in case your wondering, I don't like Scrabble as his skills are not diverse enough for a backup role and like Dunta, he's lost the step he couldn't afford to lose. Finding a coverage safety or competent nickleback is inherently more expensive in picks or salary than a run of the mill tackler in the middle since we already have our sideline to sideline playmaker with Cushing.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norg wrote:
IS WR really a huge top need when

Posey will be back healthy I think along with kevin martin ..???

I say are needs are

"I'm sure Posey will be back, but when? No way he's back by training camp, and at best maybe he's back by midseason depending on the severity of the achilles tear. Even if he came back by midseason he wouldn't be ready to play right away and that's a best case scenario. I think there's a good chance Posey is a season long IR. There's no way to rely on Posey as our #2 WR when he was barely on the field and only toward the end of the season. Who's Kevin Martin? If your talking about Keshawn Martin, I think the NFL game just overwhelmed him last season. I think he'll get better and be fine in the slot but he's not a #2 either. Lestar Jean should be fighting for a roster spot in training camp and is another Kubiak example of spending to much time trying to develop late round/UDFA talent so that he can be a future backup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: