Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs and OT Branden Albert are working on extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Moving all of the way down to #12 would likely mean only having Lane Johnson as a possibility unless San Diego moves up to ensure they can get Johnson.

I think if we stay at 1, all three tackles are gone no later than AZ at 7. Even if we trade back there is a really good chance of that happening.

Quote:
Trading away valuable draft picks for the aura of stability that comes with giving big-money contracts for 'proven' players is generally not how winning teams are built.

Having a revolving door at LT considering how Martin played last year isn't going to help your young QB live a long an prosperous life either. Counting on one of the top 3 LT to be there at 12 also seems like it could really be a stretch, and there is a HUGE drop off talent wise.

Make no mistake, BA is a very good LT, and will be a great addition to your team if you get him. Also a great community and locker room guy. Personally I would have locked him up and kept him in KC. But that is just me.

Props to Loto...the guy does great work
simonwayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
So having a sure fire starter at LT for the next five years is better then a 2nd round pick who could essentially bust? I don't know too many good LT's that use minimum cap space.
If you're a GM who doesn't trust his own ability to make draft picks, and high draft picks at that, then you should get out of the game.

Trading away valuable draft picks for the aura of stability that comes with giving big-money contracts for 'proven' players is generally not how winning teams are built.

I agree with this. Since I'm a KC fan though I'm hoping the Dolphins trade us a 2nd rounder for Albert. I also don't think enough people are giving Albert enough respect. He is a top 10 LT.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Andy Reid just clarified KC has given permission to Dolphins to speak with Brandon Albert's agent but no visit or physical allowed yet.

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/325027974506217472

Quote:
Reid says he was so engaged in football he misunderstood GM John Dorsey, leading to his refute of reports re: Albert & possible trade.

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/325028928299339776

Quote:
Reid thought it was dead issue because no talks between teams for 2 days & Dorsey declined Albert visit without substantive trade offer.

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/325030304379183105
Tom Brady Tribute
Chiefer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all so dumb haha. Laughing
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be shocked if they make a move

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think KC is backing themselves into corner similarly to the Revis situation. The more they shop Albert and given the fact he does not want to change positions to RT (shouldn't have to IMO) the more a trade has to happen. Otherwise you're asking for bad feelings and drama come camp "if not" traded. You can only actively shop a player while trying to show them the door so much before resentment sets in. Given Andy's history in Philadelphia I am shocked this hasn't taken place more behind the scenes then out in the public?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
So having a sure fire starter at LT for the next five years is better then a 2nd round pick who could essentially bust? I don't know too many good LT's that use minimum cap space.
If you're a GM who doesn't trust his own ability to make draft picks, and high draft picks at that, then you should get out of the game.

Maybe it's not something you should do as a habit, but once, to fill a specific need, when you already have a surplus of picks? One of the advantages of having lots of picks is that you can take chances and take advantages of such opportunities without sacrificing the future. A starting LT + 4 picks in the top 82 is doing alright. It's certainly no worse off than trading up into the top 5-7 to get one of the Ts there, which will cost a first AND second AND possibly a later pick, and the money difference at that slot and position of the draft is not all that great, either.

What do you mean a surplus of picks? LT is not the fins only need. They traded away some valuable pieces. If I was the fins I would sign McKinnie
even if he is not a great fit as a one year deal, and then trade up slightly for Menelik Watson or stay for Armstead. They spent quite a bit of money already in FA and if they keep doing so it will handicap them in the future as Brady ages.
tom cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't surprise me given the Chiefs are likely to pick a tackle in Round 1 and Albert being a free agent more or less.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
bears2308 wrote:

Maybe it's not something you should do as a habit, but once, to fill a specific need, when you already have a surplus of picks? One of the advantages of having lots of picks is that you can take chances and take advantages of such opportunities without sacrificing the future. A starting LT + 4 picks in the top 82 is doing alright. It's certainly no worse off than trading up into the top 5-7 to get one of the Ts there, which will cost a first AND second AND possibly a later pick, and the money difference at that slot and position of the draft is not all that great, either.

What do you mean a surplus of picks? LT is not the fins only need. They traded away some valuable pieces. If I was the fins I would sign McKinnie
even if he is not a great fit as a one year deal, and then trade up slightly for Menelik Watson or stay for Armstead. They spent quite a bit of money already in FA and if they keep doing so it will handicap them in the future as Brady ages.

The Dolphins are due to have 20+ million in cap space next off-season....and that is with Make Wallace's big cap hit/ Ireland may not be a great GM, but he is very good with the cap.

Why McKinnie....he had a few good games in the play-offs and was pretty bad the rest of the season. Albert is an upgrade and the only sure thing that can be had for a 2nd rounder.

Holes? OL and CB.....every other position group is pretty solid....so LT and 4 picks should be enough to address those holes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckweath wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Buckweath wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Welp... looks like this is happening. At least we're addressing a position of need, our offensive line should be better than last season... even if I do fear what we're giving up to get him. Hopefully it's no more than the Colts' 2nd. I also fear what kind of contract he'll demand.

Regardless... Welcome to Miami, Branden.

You better AT LEAST give us the Chiefs your high 2-nd round pick.
Not really. Albert is not worth AT LEAST a high 2nd.

Sure he is. An immediate 5 year starter at LT filling that need which gives Miami more options in the draft to further help Tannehill.

Who also takes up a crapload of cap space and has five years of play already behind him. Not worth it.

Yeah, some people overrate what the average 2nd round pick will give to your team. Albert is a real solid LT that probably has still a few good years in him.

The difference between a 2nd round pick and Albert is Albert will want to be paid a king's bounty, and a 2nd round pick won't. Plus, it will hurt the production of the kid we drafted in the 2nd round last year to be our LT if he keeps having to swap between LT and RT (and he's a much better fit for LT).

A much cheaper and possibly better long-term option would be to sign Eric Winston, a guy I wanted last year and again this year. Oh well.

THEN AGAIN, considering how bad Jeff Ireland is at drafting in the 2nd round for some reason, I could probably live with giving up Indy's 2nd for Albert. Seriously... take a look at our 2nd round picks since 2008:

2008: Phillip Merling, Chad Henne
2009: Pat White, Sean Smith
2010: Koa Misi
2011: Daniel Thomas
2012: Jon Martin

... Ouch

Nacho Simulation Football League
Warpticon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
bears2308 wrote:

Did you read a thing I just said? What does surplus mean? That would answer your question. The Dolphins have 11 picks and 5 in the top 82, as I just mentioned. In order to get one of the LTs they likely would feel comfortable with as a starter, they will most likely have to trade up, which will cost MORE in picks than Albert would, and most likely only a million or two more than the pick would based on slot and position. I JUST SAID THAT IN THE POST YOU REPLIED TO. Who said LT was their only need? Would you rather them use 1 pick or 3 picks to fill that need?
Baltimore Pride

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Buckweath wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Buckweath wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Welp... looks like this is happening. At least we're addressing a position of need, our offensive line should be better than last season... even if I do fear what we're giving up to get him. Hopefully it's no more than the Colts' 2nd. I also fear what kind of contract he'll demand.

Sure he is. An immediate 5 year starter at LT filling that need which gives Miami more options in the draft to further help Tannehill.

Who also takes up a crapload of cap space and has five years of play already behind him. Not worth it.

Yeah, some people overrate what the average 2nd round pick will give to your team. Albert is a real solid LT that probably has still a few good years in him.

The difference between a 2nd round pick and Albert is Albert will want to be paid a king's bounty, and a 2nd round pick won't. Plus, it will hurt the production of the kid we drafted in the 2nd round last year to be our LT if he keeps having to swap between LT and RT (and he's a much better fit for LT).

A much cheaper and possibly better long-term option would be to sign Eric Winston, a guy I wanted last year and again this year. Oh well.

THEN AGAIN, considering how bad Jeff Ireland is at drafting in the 2nd round for some reason, I could probably live with giving up Indy's 2nd for Albert. Seriously... take a look at our 2nd round picks since 2008:

... Ouch
Pat White Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore Pride wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Buckweath wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Buckweath wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

... Ouch
Pat White Laughing

Still upset at that pick to this day. I was so mad at the time I wanted to throw my remote into my TV. Looking at all the guys we could've had instead (Connor Barwin, Max Unger, LeSean McCoy, William Moore, Paul Kruger, Sebastian Vollmer, William Beaty... or hell, Mike Wallace) makes me extremely sad.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:

Still upset at that pick to this day. I was so mad at the time I wanted to throw my remote into my TV. Looking at all the guys we could've had instead (Connor Barwin, Max Unger, LeSean McCoy, William Moore, Paul Kruger, Sebastian Vollmer, William Beaty... or hell, Mike Wallace) makes me extremely sad.

Shame on you Shame on you Cool Thank You Jeff Ireland!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Jurecki @mikejurecki Hearing #Dolphins & Brandon Albert are negotiating a new contract. Dolphins would send one of their two second rounders to #Chiefs.

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=mikejurecki&tw_i=325676233495031810&tw_p=tweetembed

2013 Adopt-A-Chief: #82 Dwayne Bowe, WR
Rec:57/Yards:673/TD's:5/Avg per:11.8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 12 of 24

Jump to: