Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs and OT Branden Albert are working on extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Confused

I'd rather trade up with the Chiefs to draft Luke Joeckel. Its my firm opinion that Brandon Albert overproduced last year, and I really don't want to give him the contract he's going to demand to lock him up long-term. Plus, I wouldn't really call him a fit for the ZBS ... will probably have similar struggles that Long did.

That would take a decent package of picks to go from #12 to #1. What would you be willing to offer to get the pick of the litter? I would think the experience with Long would make it less likely that the Dolphins would trade up higher into round 1 let alone all the way to #1 for an offensive tackle.

I'd say I'd rather trade up to #1 to draft Joeckel, not that I would do it.

Honestly I'm hoping for Lane Johnson to drop to 12, and if not, we just sign Eric Winston in free agency.

Nacho Simulation Football League
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Confused

I'd rather trade up with the Chiefs to draft Luke Joeckel. Its my firm opinion that Brandon Albert overproduced last year, and I really don't want to give him the contract he's going to demand to lock him up long-term. Plus, I wouldn't really call him a fit for the ZBS ... will probably have similar struggles that Long did.

That would take a decent package of picks to go from #12 to #1. What would you be willing to offer to get the pick of the litter? I would think the experience with Long would make it less likely that the Dolphins would trade up higher into round 1 let alone all the way to #1 for an offensive tackle.

Honestly I'm hoping for Lane Johnson to drop to 12, and if not, we just sign Eric Winston in free agency.

As a Chiefs fan, I would definitely prefer trading down (I would definitely want to stay in the top 10 unless we pull off two trades to move down) and still having a shot at Star Lotulelei, Ezekiel Ansah, and Eric Fisher. A trade-up would likely mean sacrificing a shot at either Joeckel or Fisher unless a team is looking to move up for Geno Smith (Jets or Bills?) and one of the tackles "slides". Moving all of the way down to #12 would likely mean only having Lane Johnson as a possibility unless San Diego moves up to ensure they can get Johnson.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Confused

I'm doubting Johnson gets out of the top 5. Theres talk he's Philly's top tackle on the board.

Also Dolphins were given permission to negotiate with Albert per Rotoworld, so this could get done soon.

Quote:
The Chiefs have given the Dolphins permission to negotiate with LT Branden Albert.
This will set the wheels in motion quickly. The Chiefs reportedly want a second-round pick for Albert, who is in search of a long-term deal and a home at left tackle. After losing Jake Long to the Rams, the Dolphins appear very interested in accommodating. They have two second-round picks and plenty of money under the cap thanks to the back-loading of their free-agency signings. Albert will take a physical with Miami and begin contract talks.

www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp... looks like this is happening. At least we're addressing a position of need, our offensive line should be better than last season... even if I do fear what we're giving up to get him. Hopefully it's no more than the Colts' 2nd. I also fear what kind of contract he'll demand.

Regardless... Welcome to Miami, Branden.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Chiefs have given Dolphins permission to talk to OT Branden Albert to help facilitate a trade for a 2nd-rd pick, per John Clayton.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/324946387802390528
Tom Brady Tribute
Buckweath

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Welp... looks like this is happening. At least we're addressing a position of need, our offensive line should be better than last season... even if I do fear what we're giving up to get him. Hopefully it's no more than the Colts' 2nd. I also fear what kind of contract he'll demand.

You better AT LEAST give us the Chiefs your high 2-nd round pick.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckweath wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

Not really. Albert is not worth AT LEAST a high 2nd.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
bears2308

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Buckweath wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

Sure he is. An immediate 5 year starter at LT filling that need which gives Miami more options in the draft to further help Tannehill.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RT @adamteicher: Andy Reid denied the chiefs have given permission to the Dolphins to speak with Branden Albert

Quote:
RT @AlbertBreer: I hardly think there's a consensus in the Dolphins' building that going after Branden Albert is the way to go

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Buckweath wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

Sure he is. An immediate 5 year starter at LT filling that need which gives Miami more options in the draft to further help Tannehill.

Who also takes up a crapload of cap space and has five years of play already behind him. Not worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Buckweath wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

Who also takes up a crapload of cap space and has five years of play already behind him. Not worth it.

So having a sure fire starter at LT for the next five years is better then a 2nd round pick who could essentially bust? I don't know too many good LT's that use minimum cap space.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Buckweath wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

So having a sure fire starter at LT for the next five years is better then a 2nd round pick who could essentially bust? I don't know too many good LT's that use minimum cap space.

Yeah, some people overrate what the average 2nd round pick will give to your team. Albert is a real solid LT that probably has still a few good years in him.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
If you're a GM who doesn't trust his own ability to make draft picks, and high draft picks at that, then you should get out of the game.

Trading away valuable draft picks for the aura of stability that comes with giving big-money contracts for 'proven' players is generally not how winning teams are built.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
If you're a GM who doesn't trust his own ability to make draft picks, and high draft picks at that, then you should get out of the game.

Trading away valuable draft picks for the aura of stability that comes with giving big-money contracts for 'proven' players is generally not how winning teams are built.

Maybe it's not something you should do as a habit, but once, to fill a specific need, when you already have a surplus of picks? One of the advantages of having lots of picks is that you can take chances and take advantages of such opportunities without sacrificing the future. A starting LT + 4 picks in the top 82 is doing alright. It's certainly no worse off than trading up into the top 5-7 to get one of the Ts there, which will cost a first AND second AND possibly a later pick, and the money difference at that slot and position of the draft is not all that great, either.
bears2308

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
bears2308 wrote:

So you'd rather rely on a draft pick to protect last years first rounder then spend a 2nd on a solidified starter to protect his blindside? If so, they could trade down, grab a 3rd, and get a wr, te, and rb. If they were re-building then I'd say keep the 2nd but with all the signings it looks like Ireland is trying to build a winner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 11 of 24

Jump to: