Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs and OT Branden Albert are working on extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
From Total Access: I'm told parties view Branden Albert deal as "dead." Chiefs will now turn their attention to a long-term deal for Albert.

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/329734403079159808

Quote:
From Total Access: Source says #Dolphins offered just a third-rounder for Branden Albert, not No. 54 like we all thought. Didn't get it done

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/329734637331050496
Tom Brady Tribute
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be fair to Miami for only offering a third: The Chiefs had zero leverage in this situation. The whole world knew they were going OT up high, so it's zero surprise Miami didn't want to pony up more to take Albert off their hands.
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew this trade wasn't going to get done. Andy values oline man very highly and he rarely loses trades. Atleast in terms of initial value. My friend who's a dolphins fan, I was like Andy is stubborn as hell, if you don't give KC your high 2nd, a deal won't get done. And he doesn't really care about leverage like you see with other teams.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wake up Cards. Get him for a 3rd round pick and cut Levi...

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Wake up Cards. Get him for a 3rd round pick and cut Levi...

The Chiefs refused to trade him for a 3rd to the Dolphins, why would they send him for a 3rd to the Cardinals?
Tom Brady Tribute
simonwayne

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have taken the 3rd. No way Albert is going to take a decent longterm deal. We also know that he'll probably refuse to play anything other than LT.

Basically a one year rental at this point. A one year rental that is going to force us to play Fisher at RT even if Fisher is the better LT and a one year rental that is also going to be a team distraction. I would have taken the 3rd over that.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
I would have taken the 3rd. No way Albert is going to take a decent longterm deal. We also know that he'll probably refuse to play anything other than LT.

Basically a one year rental at this point. A one year rental that is going to force us to play Fisher at RT even if Fisher is the better LT and a one year rental that is also going to be a team distraction. I would have taken the 3rd over that.

I don't know, I still don't buy the idea of Albert as a distraction. He's been mildly vocal in the media, I suppose, but I would be shocked if much, if any of that actually bleeds into the lockerroom or on the field.

Not to say I'm particularly pleased with the guy. The whole LT thing is just stupid. But having him still makes the OL/team stronger.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
41 catches, 542 yards, 4 TDs
samsel23

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:

I'm glad Dorsey didn't give in. A 3rd for a good starting LT is a joke and Dorsey was right to turn it down. Give in to this and teams know they can low ball you.

Play him a year and get a comp pick later if no one offers a 2nd.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im guessing that Albert plays on a one year deal at LT with Fisher at RT then? Fisher would move to LT after Albert bolts to a new team via 2014 free agency. A 3rd round pick is still better then nothing.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
I'm glad Dorsey didn't give in. A 3rd for a good starting LT is a joke and Dorsey was right to turn it down. Give in to this and teams know they can low ball you.

100% agree. Albert is far more valuable to the team this season vs dishing him off for a future 3rd and going with two new tackles.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem now it the Chiefs have to make some moves to clear some cap space if they hope to sign their rookies. If they sign Albert long term then they just used the number 1 overall pick on a RT. IF they keep him franchised then someone is getting cut or restructured. I don't blame the Chiefs for not taking the 3rd and I don't blame the Dolphins for not offering more, but as a result both team will have to deal with the consequences (finding a T via FA and finding a way to pay Albert).

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
samsel23 wrote:

100% agree. Albert is far more valuable to the team this season vs dishing him off for a future 3rd and going with two new tackles.

This is of course assuming that 1) Albert fetches a top LT contract in UFA next off-season and 2) the Chiefs don't sign any qualifying free agents in that same market (which would/could nullify their ability to get any comp pick for a departing Albert); and when was the last time you remember an Andy Reid headed team not dabbling in the free agent market?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
samsel23 wrote:

I'm not so sure... The future 3rd is going to be quite a bit higher than a comp pick (unless Miami gets into the playoffs), it would come a year earlier, KC is in cap hell as it is, and if they want to make a of splash in FA next offseason they won't get that comp pick.

-kiltman
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
samsel23 wrote:

I'm not so sure... The future 3rd is going to be quite a bit higher than a comp pick (unless Miami gets into the playoffs), it would come a year earlier, KC is in cap hell as it is, and if they want to make a of splash in FA next offseason they won't get that comp pick.

It's no different than our Trent Baalke. Reid and Dorsey set a price on Albert in trade, and don't waver from it. The Chiefs want to win NOW... and despite their prior record, they now have the personnel and coaching to make that a reality. So unless a great trade value is presented? You keep your very good LT and keep your OL strong. We as 49ers fans know how tough a year 1 offense can be to get rolling.... particularly with poor pass protection... so why weaken their chances by having an inferior OL this year? To me in this situation, 2013 comes first. The rest can be dealt with when the time comes. There is always another way to trim some cap space. Handing Albert over for a future 3rd would be a poor decision, unless he is just overtly disgruntled... but he will play hard or be committing some form of financial suicide for his immediate football future.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:

I wouldn't do that. They will get a third round comp pick for him anyway and have him this year. Or they could trade him for something better if the offer comes along.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: