Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

T-Raves Final Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: T-Raves Final Mock Draft Reply with quote

Well I'm going to finish up FA for us quickly:

Signings:
Victor Butler 3 yr, 5 million dollars
Nnamdi Asomugha, 3 yr, 13 million dollars

Trades:
#15 & Jabari Greer to Minnesota for #23 and #52
-With the signing of Nnamdi, the Saints fill pretty much all their needs in FA outside of upgrading both safety positions but the only safeties that would've been definite upgrades were too expensive. Minnesota has several needs, including CB depth which we have plenty of if we sign Nnamdi, and could definitely look to move up and draft a guy like Patterson who they feel would be a perfect complement to Jennings as a #2 WR and rated higher than the rest of the other WRs.

Draft
#23-Keenan Allen, WR Cal
-I think this fits in perfectly with how Sean Payton thinks. Our defense should be much improved with our signings, both in a depth perspective and just overall talent, getting a WR like Allen would really help our offense. He would give us that reliable deep threat but also able to go over the middle and make tough catches, can play outside or inside with good size and speed, crisp routes, and catches the ball well. Lacks elite top end speed but very quick and would definitely be a great addition to the offense.

#52-Jamie Collins, OLB SMU
-Now we get some more defense. I was tempted to go offense again and look at TE depth, but I decided against it. Collins has definitely improved his draft stock, but there are so many great pass rushers in this draft I think he simply ends up in the 2nd round due to that reason alone. Getting Collins gives us more options with Wilson still either inside or outside and options are always good. Can you imagine an 3rd down situation with our 4 linebackers being: Gallette, Wilson, Butler, Collins and our DL of Jordan/Hicks/Smith... that could be a lot of trouble for someone.

#75-Bacarri Rambo, FS Georgia
-Jenkins hasn't done much to solidify his position on the team after last year, he still flashes talent, but he needs someone to push him. Rambo has a knack for making big plays, but also for giving some up, much like a more physical but less athletic Darren Sharper in that regard as he'll force more fumbles but he'll get burnt more and not get as many interceptions gambling. Rambo would be a great back-up and with Jenkins in his contract year IIRC he either gets it or we move on with Rambo.

#106-Vance McDonald, TE Rice
-Another Sean Payton move. After cutting David Thomas we have 0 TE depth behind Graham. McDonald has is quick, strong, and a good pass catcher and could help create more match-up nightmares along with Graham.

#137-Reid Fragel, OT Ohio State
-My only Ohio State pick guys, but he's a player that I think will develop into a stud OT. With our old OL coach I think he could've started at LT immediately with offseason workouts, but since he's had one season at RT after converting from a blocking TE, he needs some more development, but I see this as a move that let's us move Brown to LT with Fragel at RT until he's ready to move over and keeping Jones at back-up LT.

#173-Kwame Geathers, NT Georgia
-Saints dip back into the Georgia pool with Geathers who had an average junior season and didn't impress as well as expected at the combine. Geathers would be a good back-up to Bunkley and let us keep Hicks at DE giving us a stronger defensive line and depth.

#204-Jordan Rodgers, QB Vanderbilt
-Aaron Rodgers little brother, with Chase Daniels gone we need another back-up. Rodgers should be able to come in and pick up the offense quickly and be a serviceable back-up, but not the QB of the future.

Offense:
QB-Drew Brees/Jordan Rodgers
RB-Pierre Thomas/Mark Ingram/Chris Ivory/Darren Sproles
FB-Jed Collins
TE-Jimmy Graham/Vance McDonald/Mark Higgins
WR-Marques Colston/Lance Moore/Joseph Morgan
WR-Keenan Allen/Nick Toon/Courtney Roby
LT-Charles Brown/Marcel Jones
LG-Ben Grubbs/Eric Olsen
C-Brian de La Puenta
RG-Jahri Evans
RT-Reid Fragel/Bryce Harris

Defense:
DE-Cameron Jordan/Tom Johnson
NT-Broderick Bunkley/Kwame Geathers
DE-Akiem Hicks/Will Smith
OLB-Junior Gallette/Jamie Collins
ILB-Curtis Lofton/Chris Chamberlain
ILB-Jonathan Vilma/David Hawthorne
OLB-Martez Wilson/Victor Butler
CB-Keenan Allen/Patrick Robinson
FS-Malcolm Jenkins/Bacarri Rambo
SS-Roman Harper/Isa Abdul-Quddus
CB-Nnamdi Asomugha/Corey White

Special Teams:
K-Garrett Hartley
P-Thomas Morstead
LS-Justin Drescher
KR/PR-Sproles/Allen/Cadet/Roby

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your lodgic for your picks and while I agree with some, I can't wrap my head around the Allen pick. I get it, i do but I just simply don't agree. I do however feel Allen is worth that high of a selection though.

Anyways, I like the rest of your draft... you got some solid picks there. I love the addition of the 2nd rounder and the selection of Collins. I also see a potential starter in Rambo as well.

Moving on... As I continue to evulate alot of these players I tend to always find one player every year I get fixated on, some on here would call it my man crush on the player Laughing . I remember a few years back it was Brian Cushing and Ryan Clady before that. The year we took Jordan, I was all about JJ Watt but he went before we selected.

This year I have finally realized who that guy is for me. Slowly but surely this prospect has continued to climb my draft board all the way up to where he is now my top rated player at his position which will be shocking to some.

I'm talking about Florida International Safety Jonathan Cyprin.

I've become so impressed by this kids physical ability, instincts and passion for the game in the way he plays that I feel he's the top safety on the board and while many may be sleeping on him now, by the end of the draft process Cyprin will end up being a top 25 pick.

I'm so impressed with this kid that I would have absoutly ZERO qualms about selecting him as high as 15th overall!

I feel he's that good!

Instant day one starter at SS and impact player on defense... A true leader and emotional player that makes players around him better. Think Patrick Willis at the safety position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know the Allen pick wasn't going to be popular with most people on this board, but at some point in this draft, and I think it might be a lot earlier than later, we'll be getting a WR unless we find someway to bring in one in FA still which I can't see happening. Meachem is gone, Henderson is gone, Morgan isn't going to be our true deep threat like Meachem was able to do or even Henderson on occasion.

Payton will want his deep threat and the fact that Allen not only fills a deep threat role, but he's also able to go over the middle, has the shifty quickness that is needed on bubble screens and end arounds, and then you add on the fact that he also has the toughness to go over the middle and make plays. His worst game came against Ohio State, who had Bradley Roby on him pretty much the entire game who's going to be a top 15 pick next year and a #1 CB in the NFL, and he still had 9 catches for 80 yards with Ohio State living in Cal's backfield and unable to run the ball because Hankins was shutting it down.

The only problem with Cyprin, is he's a SS. If you draft him and he's a day 1 Patrick Willis type impact player at SS, what do we do with Roman Harper? Put him as a 7 million dollar back-up? Or do you put Cyprin as the back-up for Harper for a year but then Harper shows he's able to fill RR scheme well enough and doesn't get replaced? If he was a FS, that's one thing, Jenkins is in a contract year, or close enough that him being a back-up or moving back to corner wouldn't hurt, but being a SS, it's a bad pick IMO.

I also think Keenan Allen is going to come in and be a day 1 impact player, especially in this offense. I seriously think, even with Graham, Sproles, Colston, and how Brees likes to spread the ball around, Allen could win the #2 WR spot from Moore pushing him to the slot position, and getting at least 65-70 catches, 1100 yards, 10 TDs as a rookie. Now I don't think Allen has the same upside as Patterson, but I think Patterson is still raw and will need some time to figure things out still, Allen can come in and be an instant contributor at a high level of play. Yes I know if he comes in and does that, that would put him as one of the best rookie seasons of all time for a WR, but if you look at our offense, you put a player like Allen in it, he's going to go off big time. Who do you cover? You have Colston on one side, Graham at TE, Moore in the slot, Ingram/Thomas/Sproles in the backfield, and if Toon continues to progress and play like he did before he got hurt, I think he might've been able to pass up Moore as well, nothing against Moore I love the guy he's really grown on me, but I think Toon has the better skill set and just as good of hands, you have a potentially match-up nightmare as with 6'6 Graham, 6'4 Colston, 6'2 Toon, and 6'2 Allen, just ridiculous.

I tried to pick players that I thought would still be there, reaching for some, the only one that might be close on is Jamie Collins, but pretty much I filled needs with high upside players, some with risks, some without. I think if our offense and defense looked like that to start the season we'll be looking at a deep playoff run.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not terrible. I wouldn't mind if it went down like this. I appreciate the effort put in.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort, but it was honestly meh. We need a defensive playmaker at 15, we're very good at getting WRs in late rounds, I don't want one in round 1.

Raves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Good effort, but it was honestly meh. We need a defensive playmaker at 15, we're very good at getting WRs in late rounds, I don't want one in round 1.

There are so many defensive playmakers in the draft we still get 2 in the 2nd and 3rd due to depth. There is not a player I want more in this draft if we get scramble and butler than keenan Allen

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

There are so many defensive playmakers in the draft we still get 2 in the 2nd and 3rd due to depth. There is not a player I want more in this draft if we get scramble and butler than keenan Allen

You got lucky with Jamie Collins and Baccari Rambo in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I think you would miss out on at least one and likely both of those guys. I would be shocked if Collins goes later than mid part through the 2nd round. I honestly doing think he will make it out of the 1st.

Unless you are getting an offensive tackle you have to go BPA at a defensive position of need. We a player on defense...we have plenty on offense.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
Raves wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

You got lucky with Jamie Collins and Baccari Rambo in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I think you would miss out on at least one and likely both of those guys. I would be shocked if Collins goes later than mid part through the 2nd round. I honestly doing think he will make it out of the 1st.

Unless you are getting an offensive tackle you have to go BPA at a defensive position of need. We a player on defense...we have plenty on offense.

Agreed...

Collins should go between picks 28-38 and Rambo between 40-60.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: