Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Saints players who could defy the odds in 2013:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: 5 Saints players who could defy the odds in 2013: Reply with quote

With all the talk about whos going and whos staying in free agency combined with the endless posturing over who might the Saints select in the upcoming NFL draft, I thought it would be cool to take a look at our roster and talk about a few players we feel could defy the odds in 2013.

1. DT/DE: Tyrunn Walker

Walker was an underrated defensive end coming out of Tulsa last season and earned a spot on the Saints roster with his high motor, superb work ethic and stout play in the 2012 preseason. Now a defensive tackle, Walker has the size and pass rushing skills to really make a name for himself in Rob Ryans 34 scheme as a combo DE/NT in 2013.

2. OLB/DE: Braylon Broughton

Like Junior Galette who just earned a new 3 year deal from the Saints, Broughton is also a gifted former college combo OLB/DE who came into the NFL as a undrafted rookie free agent and showed flashes throughout the 2012 preseason. In Ryans 34 scheme, Broughton is big and powerful enough to hold his own as a DE but also is a gifted enough athlete to play as a stand up edge rusher as well. Broughton is still a raw prospect but with a teacher like Ryan now onboard, Broughton could be a player to keep an eye on.

3. OT: Marcel Jones

Jones possesses all the traits an NFL team looks for in a left tackle. He has great size, not great but good feet and has a solid understanding for the position. His knock coming out of Nebraska was that he was too soft and injury prone. With Bushrod now in Chicago, look for Jones to compete for a starting tackle position in 2013 and continue the Saints tradition of late round offensive line gems.

4. WR: Jarred Fayson

Fayson is a known Sean Payton pet project, hes a big physical receiver with lighting speed that the Saints have been being patient with. If Fayson can prove this offseason that hes improved his route running and hands, dont be shocked if he finds his way onto the active roster in 2013.

5. SS: Jerico Nelson

I know that the Saints may draft a young safety and that reserves Bush and Quddus both looked promising last season when they got their chance but Im still a believer in Nelson and I feel hell be a great fit in Ryans scheme. Look for the second year pro to turn some heads in training camp and really make a case for his self for a spot on the final 53 man roster.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thread Worm.. Got me ready for the season!

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:

Just heard Jake Long agreed to terms with the Rams... rumors were Rodger Saffold would request trade if it happened. What would you be willing to trade to land Saffold?

HB and a 4th rounder maybe?

Raves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Just heard Jake Long agreed to terms with the Rams... rumors were Rodger Saffold would request trade if it happened. What would you be willing to trade to land Saffold?

I wouldn't mind trading for Saffold. But he's going to want a good sized contract sooner rather than later. Also the one Ohio State player that I'm still super high on us drafting, or should be drafting, is Reid Fragel who I think can be a very good LT in our offense though he might need to start at RT until he gets some more experience.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

I wouldn't mind trading for Saffold. But he's going to want a good sized contract sooner rather than later. Also the one Ohio State player that I'm still super high on us drafting, or should be drafting, is Reid Fragel who I think can be a very good LT in our offense though he might need to start at RT until he gets some more experience.

I like Fragel but I rather the idea of getting a talented experienced youngster like Saffold to plug in on Drews blindside. We could cut Strief's worthless butt and let Brown and Jones battle it out on the right side.

Saffold is still on his rookie contract and in my opinion would be an upgrade over bushrod. I think hes due to make around 800,000 in base this upcoming season. At least in NOLA he'd get to stay at LT (which is what he wants) and the saints can work out a longterm deal later.

The question is price... Chris Ivory and a 4th rounder i'm thinking. Maybe Ingram for Saffold straight up??

Raves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

I like Fragel but I rather the idea of getting a talented experienced youngster like Saffold to plug in on Drews blindside. We could cut Strief's worthless butt and let Brown and Jones battle it out on the right side.

Saffold is still on his rookie contract and in my opinion would be an upgrade over bushrod. I think hes due to make around 800,000 in base this upcoming season. At least in NOLA he'd get to stay at LT (which is what he wants) and the saints can work out a longterm deal later.

The question is price... Chris Ivory and a 4th rounder i'm thinking. Maybe Ingram for Saffold straight up??

Well St. Louis just dropped Stephen Jackson, so they could definitely use a RB, I'm not sure if they would want Chris Ivory, they might be more prone to wanting Pierre Thomas over Ivory considering he is better in the passing game, which will out Bradford. Maybe Pierre and a 4th would get us Saffold. Clears up capspace for us, gives us an experienced LT, they get a proven RB that can be a good starter if Pead doesn't work out, and it gets a guy that would only be a locker room distraction in Saffold out.

So Pierre and a 4th for Saffold, I think Pierre was going to get a lot less carries this year anyways with Ingram being emphasized more along with Ivory. I'm also going to assume we sign Victor Butler and Aso, cut Greer. Butler and Aso both come with affordable contracts especially with Greer and Thomas being moved.

*Trade #15 to Minnesota for #23 and 2nd round pick.*
-With the trade of Percy Harvin and the signing of Greg Jennings the Vikings have an extra 1st round pick and a very good #1 WR, but they need a real playmaker in the passing game and I think at #15 all the WRs will still be on the board, maybe one gone, so Minnesota makes a move to get their #2 WR next to Jennings in Patterson/Austin instead of settling for possibly the 3-5th best WR in the draft as teams between #15 as 2-3 teams could all take a WR between those picks.

#23-Keenan Allen, WR Cal
-Minnesota gets to trade up and get a perfect compliment to Jennings, we trade back and get the WR that would best fit our offense in Allen. I know most will be pissed we didn't go defense, but with the trade back and the FA signings, I don't think drafting defense in the 1st round is the biggest need as I think our defense will be solid with the additions we've made, though S could still be upgraded.

2nd (Minnesota)-Jamie Collins, OLB SMU
-Some are thinking we should look at him in the 1st, I don't think he'll jump that high, especially with how many talented pass rushers there are in this draft. I think Collins will still be there in the 2nd round and we are able to add more depth to the LB position which further allows Wilson to play both inside and outside LB.

3rd-Bacarri Rambo, FS Georgia
-He's had some issues with failing drug tests at Georgia, a bit of a gambler that's liable to not only lay a big hit or get the interception but also give up the big play at times. Gives someone to push Jenkins for the starting job either this year or next.

4th-Went to St. Louis for Saffold

5th-Reid Fragel, OT Ohio State
-Brown is injury prone, Jones looked good but also got hurt, Strief is a bum and needs cut, and although we just got Saffold, we still need more depth. Fragel was a standout at Ohio State and developed quite fast during his transition and I think could definitely push for the starting RT job right away. At worst with Brown being injury prone it gives good depth and let's us cut the old and mediocre Strief and still have 4 OTs.

6th-Landry Jones, QB Oklahoma
-With Chase Daniels gone we need a replacement back-up. Jones might be gone by now, might still be here, this QB class is pretty weak and no one has a real big need at QB so Jones might slip. If we do we get a great player to groom behind Brees for a few years.

7th-Chris Cragg, TE Arkansas
-Need another TE, situational pass catcher.

Offense:
QB-Drew Brees/Landry Jones
RB-Mark Ingram/Chris Ivory/Darren Sproles/Travaris Cadet
FB-Jed Collins
WR-Marques Colston/Lance Moore/Joseph Morgan
WR-Keenan Allen/Nick Toon/Courtney Roby
TE-Jimmy Graham/Chris Cragg/Michael Higgins
LT-Roger Saffold/Marcel Jones
LG-Ben Grubbs/Eric Olsen
C-Brian de La Peunta
RG-Jahri Evans/Bryce Harris
RT-Charles Brown/Reid Fragel

Defense:
DE-Cameron Jordan/Tom Johnson
NT-Akiem Hicks/Broderick Bunkley
DE-Will Smith/Tyrunn Walker
OLB-Junior Gallette/Jamie Collins
ILB-Curtis Lofton/David Hawthorne
ILB-Jonathan Vilma/Chris Chamberlain
OLB-Martez Wilson/Victor Butler
CB-Keenan Lewis/Patrick Robinson
FS-Malcolm Jenkins/Bacarri Rambo
SS-Roman Harper/Isa Abdul-Quddus
CB-Nnamdi Asomugha/Corey White

Special Teams:
K-Garrett Hartley
P-Thomas Morstead
LS-Justin Drescher
KR/PR-Sproles/Cadet/Allen/Roby

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would we be able to pay Graham and Saffold next season?

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: