Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our situation at Safety
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
British

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about trying Davon House at free safety this offseason?

Quote:

In my opinion, Davon House has the potential to be a very good safety in the National Football League. In fact, after watching him closely at training camp and throughout the regular season, I actually think that would be his best position. The former New Mexico State star is a decent cornerback, but I donít think he has the physical skills to ever be much more than that. He does not bend easily and he shows some stiffness in his movement. He also tends to rise in his backpedal and he does not transition very efficiently.

On the other hand, House is built to play safety. He has good height (6-1), adequate weight (196, with the frame to carry an additional 10 pounds) and plenty of straight-line speed (4.44). He also supports the run fairly aggressively when healthy and faces up ballcarriers. After playing cornerback throughout his career, heíd obviously need time to make the transition to safety, but thatís what offseasons are for.

http://packerupdate.net/?p=24768
vang_evo9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
justo wrote:
Amerson, Commings, Hyde are guys that could make the move.

He clearly asked palmy.

Some people have no manners
Just trying to help. Don't make me go up north...

Thanks Justo. What do those players have that makes them transition better to safety? Tackling ability? Athleticism? Ball skills?
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vang_evo9 wrote:
justo wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
justo wrote:

He clearly asked palmy.

Thanks Justo. What do those players have that makes them transition better to safety? Tackling ability? Athleticism? Ball skills?

Amerson has great ball skills and excels in zone. Still throwing around that idea in my head.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vang_evo9 wrote:
justo wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
justo wrote:

He clearly asked palmy.

Amerson compares to a poor man's Ed Reed IMO. His stats took a severe drop this year, but he still has good length, speed, and ball skills. A playmaker type in the defensive backfield. I'd rather have him at FS tracking balls than covering guys man.

Commings is a thicker CB/SS that I think could cover TE's well. Not the type of S we are looking for, but he's still a CB/S type.

Hyde was a safety in 2011 before moving to CB.

FWIW, Banks, Rhodes, and Mathieu's names have been thrown out as S's as well. Banks is a tall CB (think Seattle type.) I wouldn't mind seeing Banks going off the board at 26 and having one of the CBs converted to S.
palmy50

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vang_evo9 wrote:
justo wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
justo wrote:

He clearly asked palmy.

I don't like the idea at large in the Capers fit but there are times ya need to do what ya need to do when the board don't go your way and your a draft first team. Clearly there is a premium on reps played at the position in this Capers fit though.

When looking at college CB's with the idea of moving them to safety a host of things come into play:

1) Are they willing to play the position?
2) Do they have a strong feel for zone?(vision lines are much different at safety)
3) Will they play the run?
4) Tracking/ball skills.
5) What's the body look like?
6) What's the football IQ?
7) Do they play well over length?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Amerson has great ball skills and excels in zone. Still throwing around that idea in my head.

Problem for me (and granted it's a pretty big red flag) is that he's a terrible tackler, and very weak in run support. Is that you want from a safety? I see shades of Rahim Moore, and not in a good way. The kids got a skill set that is at a premium, it's like palmy50 says that the sum of the pieces just doesn't add up. Tested much better than I anticipated, but I just can't get past that Tennessee game where the receivers ran all over him.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Problem for me (and granted it's a pretty big red flag) is that he's a terrible tackler, and very weak in run support. Is that you want from a safety? I see shades of Rahim Moore, and not in a good way. The kids got a skill set that is at a premium, it's like palmy50 says that the sum of the pieces just doesn't add up. Tested much better than I anticipated, but I just can't get past that Tennessee game where the receivers ran all over him.

I took a long look at the kid and he was a CB for me all day long as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:
How about trying Davon House at free safety this offseason?

Quote:

In my opinion, Davon House has the potential to be a very good safety in the National Football League. In fact, after watching him closely at training camp and throughout the regular season, I actually think that would be his best position. The former New Mexico State star is a decent cornerback, but I donít think he has the physical skills to ever be much more than that. He does not bend easily and he shows some stiffness in his movement. He also tends to rise in his backpedal and he does not transition very efficiently.

On the other hand, House is built to play safety. He has good height (6-1), adequate weight (196, with the frame to carry an additional 10 pounds) and plenty of straight-line speed (4.44). He also supports the run fairly aggressively when healthy and faces up ballcarriers. After playing cornerback throughout his career, heíd obviously need time to make the transition to safety, but thatís what offseasons are for.

http://packerupdate.net/?p=24768
Said the very same thing! Can't remember in which thread though but I mentioned House as a switch to S cantidate early in the off season.

Kempes on the custom sig!
dijatool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
When looking at college CB's with the idea of moving them to safety a host of things come into play:

2) Do they have a strong feel for zone?(vision lines are much different at safety)
4) Tracking/ball skills.

What specific body characteristics are you looking for? Something like Collins where there was a thickness to him or something else?

Given that M.D. Jennings is a converted CB, does he have any of those body characteristics?

palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dijatool wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

4) Tracking/ball skills.

What specific body characteristics are you looking for? Something like Collins where there was a thickness to him or something else?

Given that M.D. Jennings is a converted CB, does he have any of those body characteristics?

Yes, they better be able to take a pounding and protect themselves. One of the big concerns I had/have with Jennings, for sure.

More to it than that though. You often need to play bigger bodies at safety. In that ya better be able to get physical with them or they will just push ya around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like Phillip Thomas oh my 8 int last year im sure thats what the packers like
pmikep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many are day one starters at safety. (in packers D)
1.Vaccaro
2.Elam
3.Reid
4.???????
British

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmy, what's your take on trying out House at safety?
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should make an ask palmy thread. If palmy would be up to that.

That seems to be all this is Laughing

(I know there are a lot of others on here who know a ton too) <3

Shanedorf wrote:
I'm a little surprised you didn't pick up on that given your unquestioned expertise in psychologically assessing people you've never even met.

PSN: ShiiNyIV
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
We should make an ask palmy thread. If palmy would be up to that.

That seems to be all this is.

To be fair, however, if you poll people who don't get paid to do this which position they find the hardest to evaluate, the overwhelming response will probably be "Safety".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: