Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our situation at Safety
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Our situation at Safety Reply with quote

Morgan Burnett, MD Jennings, Jerron McMillian, Chaz Powell, Sean Richardson

Those are the guys currently on the roster at safety. How do we feel about this?

Burnett is a starter, although I'm sure some of us are not pleased with his progression. Beyond that, who is our other starter? Is he on the roster at the moment? IMO MD Jennings is just a guy, and I have no idea about Powell (just found out he was on the roster). Any faith in McMillian and Richardson? Do we address safety early in the draft?
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't know about McMillian. There's ceiling there, but I'm just not real confident for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richardson should be above Powell. I don't remember how many of you guys saw, but I did the highlight cuts of the first year Packers from the pre-season and he and Mozes were by far the standouts. As soon as Richardson got on the active, he got hurt. I want to see more from him, but he's most likely a SPT only player.

I don't even think the team has decided if they want Burnett to be a SS or FS at this point. I'd rather have McMillian, but it seems like the team was swinging towards keeping Burnett at SS, which kept Jennings at FS. McMillian>Jennings IMO, but I think the team would rather have Burnett at SS. That's why I think all these SS's in mocks seem a little nuts to me.

Is Bush a S or CB, as of now?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Is Bush a S or CB, as of now?[/color]

Packers.com has him as a CB.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ideally we would have a Nick Collins type back there but chances of that are slim to none. I am a big Matt Elam fan but that doesn't seem very realistic now.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
I just don't know about McMillian. There's ceiling there, but I'm just not real confident for whatever reason.

McMillian could be very good at his game at the pro level. Thing is, his game is not very complete. That's a stiff athlete and I doubt he is ever very good in the deep half. I think he is damn near ideal for that 3rd safety gig Capers likes so much though. Just have him run around in the short field and try to make plays. I think he has real upside in this area though and see no real need to draft the like.

Richardson would take a few of the other SS types in this class out of it as well. Though "that guy" is going to see far more time on the teams unit than he ever will at safety with Capers running the show.

Powell is a teams guy as well. Played both ways at PSU. Better athlete than football player. Just lacks a real feel for the game. Good athlete though and a tough SOB.

Must say that Jennings played much better ball last year for the Packers than I felt he would going into the season. I don't see much upside there though and feel the Packers have far too much stock into him right now. Finding another guy that can cover some ground back there and play the deep ball would be a huge plus in my eyes.

Burnett is a very good all around football player. Think he is just doing what is asked right now. Get a stud next to him and his game should take off. Think he is the only one on this roster that could start at either spot also. That said, his set looks a hair more special on paper at the SS position in todays NFL.

In terms of the draft. I would take a long look at any of the FS's that could be an upgrade over Jennings but I would only take a long look at a few of them at SS(Elam & S.Thomas)with the young players in house now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

McMillian could be very good at his game at the pro level. Thing is, his game is not very complete. That's a stiff athlete and I doubt he is ever very good in the deep half. I think he is damn near ideal for that 3rd safety gig Capers likes so much though. Just have him run around in the short field and try to make plays. I think he has real upside in this area though and see no real need to draft the like.

Richardson would take a few of the other SS types in this class out of it as well. Though "that guy" is going to see far more time on the teams unit than he ever will at safety with Capers running the show.

Powell is a teams guy as well. Played both ways at PSU. Better athlete than football player. Just lacks a real feel for the game. Good athlete though and a tough SOB.

Must say that Jennings played much better ball last year for the Packers than I felt he would going into the season. I don't see much upside there though and feel the Packers have far too much stock into him right now. Finding another guy that can cover some ground back there and play the deep ball would be a huge plus in my eyes.

Burnett is a very good all around football player. Think he is just doing what is asked right now. Get a stud next to him and his game should take off. Think he is the only one on this roster that could start at either spot also. That said, his set looks a hair more special on paper at the SS position in todays NFL.

In terms of the draft. I would take a long look at any of the FS's that could be an upgrade over Jennings but I would only take a long look at a few of them at SS(Elam & S.Thomas)with the young players in house now.

You've been saying that in bold for a while now, and I do agree that I love those players. What free safties do you really like? Any besides that Vaccaro?

Last edited by Madtown on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnett is a starter, I agree. I also thought he would be better than he currently has shown. I wonder if he is trying to do too much with what is opposite him or if I just overestimated his ability.

I think that other side is a mess though. I like the idea of Richardson. The guy is big. But I don't think he's very good. McMillan had some flashes, but wasn't on the field that much, if he was being pulled in favor of Jennings, he wasn't ready/able in the coaching staff's opinion. I also agree that Jennings is just a guy. I would be happy if he were to be retained as a cheap back-up. Maybe turn him into the new Jarrett Bush.

I don't see any safety that is irreplaceable on the roster. I also don't like taking a developmental project just one year after McMillan, unless we want to give up on him already.

The real solution is as follows:
Steal Doc Brown's Delorean. Put a ton of ex lax in Nick Collins' food on September 17, 2011.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Phillip Thomas is the only FS worth taking in this class.

Vaccaro, Cyprien, Elam, Reid all seem to be SS.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Burnett. I really like McMillian. I'm not sure the two are a good fit for each other. If we get someone to pair with Burnett, I'm great with whoever that person is and McMillian.

Richardson is a teams guy and situational sub guy. The rest, including the doctor, is meh.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madtown wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

You've been saying that in bold for a while now, and I do agree that I love those players. What free safties do you really like? Any besides that Vacarro?

That's what kinda sucks. This is a much better SS class IMO. Vaccaro grades out much better than the next FS in this class. I do like the FS idea more than the SS idea though with the players in house. In that, Vaccaro, Reid, Rambo, P.Thomas, and Jefferson all could be a upgrade over Jennings long term. Might add a few CB's in there as well that could make the move.

I just go value hunting for that one though. I keep bringing up those two because I'm just about sure Vaccaro will be gone and those two are the best of what could be had that make sence in my eyes with those on roster. I might like Burnett at SS a bit more long term but a talent like Elam could make that go away quick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

A question for everyone, not just palmy.
We all agree Burnett + Collins was the plan, and it would have been good. But does Burnett need that kind of stud on the other side to be good? If we could clone him, would the Burnett-Burnett duo be good enough? I think Burnett is an average to above average safety. I also think that is easier to come by than the star Nick Collins type.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
I feel like Phillip Thomas is the only FS worth taking in this class.

Vaccaro, Cyprien, Elam, Reid all seem to be SS.

I graded Vaccaro and Reid out at FS.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

A question for everyone, not just palmy.
We all agree Burnett + Collins was the plan, and it would have been good. But does Burnett need that kind of stud on the other side to be good? If we could clone him, would the Burnett-Burnett duo be good enough? I think Burnett is an average to above average safety. I also think that is easier to come by than the star Nick Collins type.

For me, it's the fact that I'd like more speed out of the other safety given, of course, that guy is good at said position. That's why I've fallen in love with Elam even though I do think Burnett is slightly better SS.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Elam for a host of reasons but feel he might even make a bigger impact on this Packers team than some others. That kid loves the game and is the true life of the party. He will set the tone for good football being played. Type of prospect I bet a team like Balt will fall in love with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: