Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

43 vs 34 defense (pre draft)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unko_B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: 43 vs 34 defense (pre draft) Reply with quote

It's amazing how so many people seem to fabricate so much ish in their head that they miss the facts in front of them. the raiders have signed the no. 4 & 7 (Burnett & Maiava) rated 43 OLBs from 2012 along with an undersized LB who played almost exclusively in a tampa 2 (43) defense and you people still think the raiders are switching to a 34 defense? More so, the signing of Hunter, who finally excelled by moving to DE under DA in Denver is coming in to play DE, although his versatility is an added plus. But come on now, give me a break the writing is all over the wall. So far, by these signings & even last years draft picks RM (IMO) is choosing guys who are versatile; bergstrum = T/G, Burris DE (@ SDSU)/OLB, Bililkudi DE (@ GS)/DT.

You guys are getting to caught up with whether it'll be a 43 or 34 way to much. With NFL offenses passing so much, those 'base' defenses rarely ever stay on the field on 2nd & 3rd down. From my own recollection, I remember the Raiders running far more 42 fronts with wheeler & Burris, while bringing in Hanson as well. The raiders do not have the collective talent to be exclusive to one defense or the other, in fact IMO i believe RM & DA have the understanding that if they put high character, hard working dedicated football players on the field & gear both Off & Def towards the rosters strength all will work itself out.

DA has said it time and time before he wants to run plays to the current players strengths. He's said numerous times that the run game will have elements of both PBS & ZBS. Although he says it mostly on offense, cant the same thought process be applied to defense and special teams for that matter? My guess is the raiders stick with the label of a 43 defense, and continue to platoon players in on different down and distances (like most NFL teams already do). With a surplus of middle talent guys the raiders, right now, best suited to platoon players.

My point is this, it's futile to argue if one defense is better suited than the other. Instead of relying on your knowledge, or lack thereof, look at the facts. It'll show you that the Raiders are getting ready to play any and all defenses that best suit their players which includes but not limited to 34 and 43 fronts.

Im sure DA & RM want to win all costs & refuse to limit themselves with such titles of PBS vs ZBS & 43 vs 34.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know this is the only thread that mentions a 3-4 on the first page..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple D
unko_B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:

Thanks for the great insight. Obviously you havent been reading the ramblings in the other threads.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unko_B wrote:
macklemore wrote:

Thanks for the great insight. Obviously you havent been reading the ramblings in the other threads.

It doesn't hurt to wonder or discuss it
unko_B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
unko_B wrote:
macklemore wrote:

It doesn't hurt to wonder or discuss it

Agreed. Im not looking to say it's one or the other, or that one is better, just that its difficult to see people argue in favor of one or the other so heavily especially when there's no evidence to make a case for it. I like both & agree with you that the defense will be multiple. I used this thread to share my thoughts and list some of the things that has transgressed in the last couple of days thus supporting the notion that the Raiders will in fact be multiple in all facets of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4-3 vs 3-4 debate has been a hallmark of this forum since the site launched. I think it is second only to the series of annual "we must trade down" threads.

Every defensive signing along the front seven perpetuates the debate. If the player has a prototypical 3-4 skill set, it surely means we are switching to a 3-4. If the player has a prototypical 4-3 skill set, we are destined to remain a 4-3 team.

The ever-elusive gap clogging NT remains the sliver bullet in either alignment.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we stay predominantly 4-3, with a few 3-4 looks...
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
I think we stay predominantly 4-3, with a few 3-4 looks...

This. People like the "exotic" blitzing from the 34 which is cool. However I'm a big fan of Seattle and Cinci's D.

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
raiderfan19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it our defensive fronts would be...
3-4
Houston-Sims-Kelly
Hunter-Roach-McClain? If no to rolando Burnett,Maiva,Burris TC battle Dion Jordan at 3 overall.

4-3
Houston-Kelly-Sims-Ziggy?
Burnett-Roach-Burris
*Maiva would play some nickel, teams, and backup to all 3 spots

I personally would roll with the 4-3 and get creative with backers blitzing from different gaps, stunts with the lineman, stand Ziggy or move him around, and even mix in some Houston at 3 technique and Hunter at LE taking Sims off the field. either way we have flexibility with our defensive fronts, just really lack the explosive guy off the edge.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Burnett said in his interview that it looks like 4-3 because that whas the personnel looks like.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Rolni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter.

The players, their talent, the gap responsibilities are what matters...

Last year when Houston was standing up the D was the same, however you could say it was a 3-4 look, since 3 guy was in 3point stance and the rest was standing up...it was the same 4man front with a little tweak.

Our current personel suggest base 4-3 to me with the possibility to mix it up with all these versatile guys...
And that's the key to me. You wanna be unpredictable, creative while disciplined and focused.
mhuff24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think this is why McClain is still on the roster? I've been trying to wrap my head around why he's still around and hasn't been cut yet. Am I missing something or what? Do you guys think he'll be around next season?
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll run a hybrid. Rolni is ultimately right though.

PM sig requests.
Rolni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhuff24 wrote:
Do you guys think this is why McClain is still on the roster? I've been trying to wrap my head around why he's still around and hasn't been cut yet. Am I missing something or what? Do you guys think he'll be around next season?

NO.

He is here, because:
1. we still looking for a late trade for him
2. we are under the cap with him right now, so we won't have to hurry
3. why do him any good with an early cut?
4. he could be our other post June1 cut if everything works out well for CP and we won't have to cut him...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: