Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Whats the bigger need in the first round a WR or a DT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
in cam we trust

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Whats the bigger need in the first round a WR or a DT Reply with quote

What is the bigger need in the first round a DT or WR some off the choices we could have are :

DT
Sharrif Floyd
Star lotuleli
Sheldon Richardson

WR
Tavon Austin
Cordarrelle Patterson
Keenan Allen
Deandre Hopkins

What are your thoughts
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on who is there when we pick. I believe if any of those three are still around we will pull the trigger on a DT at this point
in cam we trust

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If stars heart checks out the only DT Im a worried about is Sheldon Richardson he just like another over hyped DT it happens every year just ask the chiefs thats why they have the number one overall pick
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the offense needs one more true playmaker and I think Patterson or Austin should be the choice if available.

For our offense I think Patterson fits the best with his height and speed. He would let Smith loose in the slot while he still has juice in the tank.

I also like Austin but I feel like he is so versatile that he would be coming to a team that already has versatile players. I don't see him being an immediate impact at WR, the offense yes, at WR no.

If we had the luxury I'd take, Patterson 1st, and then Stedman Bailey in the 2nd round. Then I'd cut Gettis, Edwards, Pilares, possibly even Joe Adams.

Or take Austin in the 1st, then take Hopkins in the 2nd round.

We have too many other needs but our WR core would be stacked and our offense would be unstoppable.
Right now our offense is good, but it's beatable. We NEED one of these WR's.

While I've wanted us to draft a quality DT for years, this is how I feel about the situation. DT for the Panthers is like driving with two back tires leaking air. We throw garbage at it with Fix a flat and we still end up competing.

But at WR it's like we haven't had an oil change in 7,000 miles on dino oil. Gettis doesn't count and LaFell doesn't dominate.

We need dominant players at both DT and WR but if something happens to Smith our passing game is shut down and we have no reason to think otherwise.
in cam we trust

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the offense needs one more true playmaker and I think Patterson or Austin should be the choice if available.

For our offense I think Patterson fits the best with his height and speed. He would let Smith loose in the slot while he still has juice in the tank.

I also like Austin but I feel like he is so versatile that he would be coming to a team that already has versatile players. I don't see him being an immediate impact at WR, the offense yes, at WR no.

If we had the luxury I'd take, Patterson 1st, and then Stedman Bailey in the 2nd round. Then I'd cut Gettis, Edwards, Pilares, possibly even Joe Adams.

Or take Austin in the 1st, then take Hopkins in the 2nd round.

We have too many other needs but our WR core would be stacked and our offense would be unstoppable.
Right now our offense is good, but it's beatable. We NEED one of these WR's.

While I've wanted us to draft a quality DT for years, this is how I feel about the situation. DT for the Panthers is like driving with two back tires leaking air. We throw garbage at it with Fix a flat and we still end up competing.

But at WR it's like we haven't had an oil change in 7,000 miles on dino oil. Gettis doesn't count and LaFell doesn't dominate.

We need dominant players at both DT and WR but if something happens to Smith our passing game is shut down and we have no reason to think otherwise.
I think a lot of what you said was correct . The ways I see it is with what we have on the team at the WR and DT position right now that if we lost a DT to injury it would not hurt as much as if we lose Steve smith to injury in would shut down are passing game so to me WR is the bigger need
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all about BPA. We will draft whoever is highest on our draft board at the time of our pick.

I personally hope it's Lane Johnson, he fixes 2 spots for us.

DT has been a need for us for a while, but I personally feel that once you get past Star and Floyd, the talent really drops off and there's already a rather large drop from Star to Floyd. Also, this draft is relatively deep with DT talent until you hit the 3rd round where it starts to tank.

WR is the wildcard. If we take one, I'm fine, but this draft too is filled full of guys who could produce as number ones. Patterson is leading the baords now because he has the ability to be a Julio Jones type player so naturally with his ceiling being as high as it is, he is the top WR. Might take him a couple of years to get there though. I think his progressions might be similar to Demaryius Thomas in terms of how long it takes him to turn around.

In my opinion, I hope we trade back and pick up a 2nd. We could probably look at going Jonathan Banks, Deandrea Hopkins, and Sylvester Williams. OR Justin Hunter, Jesse Williams, and DJ Swearinger.

Trading back and getting a 2nd would allow us to get 3 guys that are going to contribute day one. It's a pipe dream, but one that gives us our best hope.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't even think WR is that big of a need for us. This is my list of needs.

1. Defensive Tackle
2. Safety
3. Offensive Line
4. Wide Receiver
faccda01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go DT first. We've seen how teams with productive DTs have more success at each level on the defensive side of the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
I'd go DT first. We've seen how teams with productive DTs have more success at each level on the defensive side of the ball.
I'd love to get a DT early if a good one is available. BPA, yes, but I'd really like to land a DT.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Moody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what our biggest need is, we have plenty of needs so going BPA makes sense. Reaching for needs is trouble. Obviously we won't look at DE, RB, QB and I hope no LB.

Consistency, football IQ, leadership and attitude are just as important as talent and pretty much impossible for fans to judge. I like those players to make the transition more so than the flashy athletes.

It will be a highly debatable pick that will come down to Gettleman and Rivera's big board.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is WR not a need for us?

1. Steve Smith
2. Brandon LaFell
3. ?

After LaFell, it's a bunch of no names and guys who are only good for returning kicks (Joe Adams, Pilahres)

We let Louis Murphy walk, which I think was a mistake.

We have a terrible crop of WRs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
How is WR not a need for us?

1. Steve Smith
2. Brandon LaFell
3. ?

After LaFell, it's a bunch of no names and guys who are only good for returning kicks (Joe Adams, Pilahres)

We let Louis Murphy walk, which I think was a mistake.

We have a terrible crop of WRs.

That's what I'm saying. When you factor in Smitty's age as well, WR is a huge concern. I actually would not be sad if we picked up a few WRs this draft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult. I'm not a big fan of either Floyd or Richardson but Floyd clearly has ample potential. We all know of Star but it really depends on his health. If he managed to fall to us, then it is clear his health is a major flag because otherwise he'd be a top five lock.

I'm not a fan of Hopkins at all in the first round. I question his ability to get separation at the next level and he struggles when getting jammed. Great ability to snatch the ball out of the air and can be a game breaker but not sure he's worth a top fifteen pick. I also like Allen a lot, but he is more of a traditional receiver. I'm not sure he has the ability to be a consistent game changer. Out of all of these guys, the prospect I think will be best (sans Star; only thing holding him back is health) is Patterson. I love what I see from him. His hands are quite inconsistent but I think he'll improve on it ala Julio Jones and he fits the offense to a tee and is a perfect complement to Steve Smith. I really wish we'd go ahead and move him to the slot, which would be smart with Patterson and LaFell on the roster, two outside guys.

My actual favorite prospect though is Tavon Austin. I absolutely love him and pray he somehow falls to the second round so we can take him. Only reason I wouldn't take him in the first round is because of his size. I think he lacks the ability to re-adjust and win out on those passes that may be misplaced. And don't get mistaken; Austin is not Smith. Smith is a warrior who became one of the best jump ball receivers in the NFL. I don't see that happening with Austin.

So, of all of those options, I think Patterson might be the best prospect when factoring in health. Yet, one has to wonder if adding a potential dominant DT can improve our defense more than a potential dominant WR will improve our offense.
NCSportsGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with whats currently on our roster, we have to go WR in the 1st especially if someone like Patterson slips to us, Id definitely take a hard look at Kenan Allen and Tavon Austin as well. I say this because this draft is particularly deep at OL and DL, so we can still pick up a starting quality player at one of those positions in the second. There is no guarantee with Gettis, and Lafell although proves to be a decent 2 or 3 WR hes def not #1 material, so now is the time to finally make the sexy pick we always avoid. I will say though no matter what or who we take in the 1st two rounds, its almost a lock to be NFL quality players, full faith in our staff, and talent evaluation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd even go on to say

1. Steve Smith
2. ??

Brandon LaFell isn't even a number 2 in this league. If we don't make the playoffs this year I can really see Steve Smith retiring. He is kinda a punk to being with and I don't see him wasting his time. He will either demand a trade or retire. Not really my favorite Panther ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: