Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If Harrison can't find a job
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
popie70 wrote:
If he didn't want to take out initial 30% cut offer I don't know if they can work anything out. But who knows maybe this showed him that the grass isn't greener on the other side.

30%? Listen, I like Harrison, I'm sorry to see things didn't work out contract wise, but if he can't find a job...if it were me in the FO (and it's not) I wouldn't bring him back for any more than 50% of what he was making before. Imo, 70% is too much for a 35 year old LB who didn't want to take a paycut, considered signing with the Ravens, and now is 'desperate for a job'. If that's how things were to work out. I like Harrison..at a very reduced contract.
so.... 3 million?

IF he's lucky.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
popie70 wrote:
If he didn't want to take out initial 30% cut offer I don't know if they can work anything out. But who knows maybe this showed him that the grass isn't greener on the other side.

30%? Listen, I like Harrison, I'm sorry to see things didn't work out contract wise, but if he can't find a job...if it were me in the FO (and it's not) I wouldn't bring him back for any more than 50% of what he was making before. Imo, 70% is too much for a 35 year old LB who didn't want to take a paycut, considered signing with the Ravens, and now is 'desperate for a job'. If that's how things were to work out. I like Harrison..at a very reduced contract.
so.... 3 million?

IF he's lucky.

I think Harrison has a little more left in the tank, but I dont expect him to really set the world on fire ever again.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
popie70 wrote:

so.... 3 million?

IF he's lucky.

I think Harrison has a little more left in the tank, but I dont expect him to really set the world on fire ever again.
If Harrison not setting the world on fire means 8-10 sacks for the next few years. That's certainly worth 4 or 5 million a year as long as Woodley gets his arse in gear and back to his 08 and 09 self where he'll get 11 to 13 sacks from the left side and stay healthy.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect him to not get signed or for the market to really start heating up for him till someone's #1 or 2 pass rusher goes down. Harrison isn't gonna want to sit the bench and a team isn't going to want to have a 4M+ a yr player just sitting around.

James will get offers but not till all this FA smoke clears.

IMO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I expect him to not get signed or for the market to really start heating up for him till someone's #1 or 2 pass rusher goes down. Harrison isn't gonna want to sit the bench and a team isn't going to want to have a 4M+ a yr player just sitting around.

IMO
i concur

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
popie70 wrote:

so.... 3 million?

IF he's lucky.

If Harrison not setting the world on fire means 8-10 sacks for the next few years. That's certainly worth 4 or 5 million a year as long as Woodley gets his arse in gear and back to his 08 and 09 self where he'll get 11 to 13 sacks from the left side and stay healthy.

It goes beyond just sacks though.

Harrison was completely shut down at times this year. If a player isnt getting sacks, its not a huge deal if they are at least putting consistent pressure on the QB. I think Harrison has another good year or 2 in him, but what Im saying is that he isnt unblockable anymore, and I still expect him to be taken out of games, which was impossible a couple years ago.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:

IMO

Honestly, I'm not confident he'll wait that long (that lack of confidence is a good thing) but I could be wrong. If he comes to the conclusion he has to drastically reduce is own asking price, I think it becomes significantly more likely that he ends up back in Pittsburgh. It makes the most sense honestly, it's where he's had all of his success, it would give him an opportunity to start, an opportunity to retire in the city where he made his entire career, it would eliminate the #1 need we have.

My question about this is, IF he does end up back in Pittsburgh, do you think it reduces the chances of us drafting a Round 1 OLB and increases the chances of us drafting a Round 1 WR or S?
JLambert58

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

IMO

Honestly, I'm not confident he'll wait that long (that lack of confidence is a good thing) but I could be wrong. If he comes to the conclusion he has to drastically reduce is own asking price, I think it becomes significantly more likely that he ends up back in Pittsburgh. It makes the most sense honestly, it's where he's had all of his success, it would give him an opportunity to start, an opportunity to retire in the city where he made his entire career, it would eliminate the #1 need we have.

My question about this is, IF he does end up back in Pittsburgh, do you think it reduces the chances of us drafting a Round 1 OLB and increases the chances of us drafting a Round 1 WR or S?

You might be right about him not wanting to wait. Look what happened to TO and other aging stars that assumed they would get a contract when the season started. He can pretty much guarantee $3M from the Steelers if he wants it. (Not sure what the cap ramifications are after cutting him) Yes, he would be guaranteed to start, know the system, and retire a Steeler. As someone wrote, there is financial value in being that star in a city where you helped win championships and spent your whole career there. Silverback Mountain Restaurant & Pub anyone? lol I'm sure he's had a plenty of time to consider those things. Hopefully his pride will allow it.

I don't think it precludes us from taking OLB in Rd. 1 but it makes it easier not to. (esp. if he signs a 2 yr. deal) We could wait until next year and sign Worilds to a cheap 2nd contract as insurance.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lambert, I think your last sentence is 100% dead on. (I agree with your whole post though)
RyanRayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports Nation has an article that states that James is a COLD topic among other teams.No one is apparently pursuing or is even mentioning his name.I wouldn't mind him eating some humble pie and returning.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not exactly humble pie. The guy was cut because he didn't want to take a paycut, it isn't like he refused to play for us. We should HOPE he ends up coming back to Pittsburgh on the cheap. It would be huge for our defense.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he might sign during the season after the steelers fail with all their other attempts to replace him and if nobody signs him. I can't believe he hasn't been signed, but that could still change.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's becoming more an more apparent he'll be back eventually. As I said all long, he should have taken the original pay cut, now that offer might be 30% less of what it was a week ago.

Meaning 3 to 4 million instead of 5

MeanJoeGreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanRayne wrote:
Sports Nation has an article that states that James is a COLD topic among other teams.No one is apparently pursuing or is even mentioning his name.I wouldn't mind him eating some humble pie and returning.

Peter king said the same thing. I hope that's true I wouldn't mind having Harrison back.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather just get younger. James Harrison is past his prime anyways.

The Steelers need to continue to build through the draft, and let some of these older guys walk. I feel like we've been moving backwards this entire offseason.

At this point, I don't expect James to offer much at all. He could be a good rotational Linebacker for a new team, but his days as a starter are numbered. Pittsburgh should just move on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: