Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why the Redskins should not draft a secondary player
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skinsfan36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is loaded at corner and safety. Your logic is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. By your logic shamanism should draft only end,tackles,wrs,and inside backers
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfan36 wrote:
This draft is loaded at corner and safety. Your logic is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. By your logic shamanism should draft only end,tackles,wrs,and inside backers
more like Shanahn should only draft rbs, tes, ilbs, OL and qbs.

Other than Brandon Marshall, Shanahan doesn't have a good track record with wrs.

Been horrible on DL, olbs and dbs but we all know that doesn't mean you quit trying
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a better reason the redskins may not sign a safety in free agency...

They have 5 on the team with experience:

Redskins best options at safety may be internal

Quote:
The Washington Redskins will enter the month of April with five safeties under contract who have experience starting NFL games. That does not include Madieu Williams, who the Redskins will allow to walk as an unrestricted free agent, nor does it include Jordan Bernstine, the Redskins' seventh round pick from 2012 who missed the entire season with an injury.

http://www.redskinshogheaven.com/2013-articles/march/redskins-best-options-at-safety-may-be-internal.html

Jordan Bernstine
Reed Doughty
Dejon Gomes
Brandon Meriweather
Jordan Pugh

And they will have Tanard Jackson in sept who I imagine they've been in contact with because they chose to keep him around, evaluate him and I've him a chance when hi year long suspension is up but he certainly can't be trusted on. I hope Bernstine can come back from his horrific injury of tearing his acl, mcl and pcl. That's a guy I'm rooting for to make the team.

This is before the draft where I expect us to draft a FS prospect and possibly a FS prospect also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New blog by me:

Getting rid of Hall and Williams is addition by subtraction in my opinion and the Redskins have defensive backs coming back, a lot of that depends on health though. The Redskins two most promising defensive backs last spring were injured badly last year Minifield and Bernstein, if they can return healthy that will be a big boost the the defensive backfield. Actually, fun fact I discovered this morning. When looking at the top-10 passing defenses from last season, 26 of the 40 starting defensive backs (two cornerbacks and two safeties) were taken after the first round. Six of those players went undrafted through seven rounds. This is very promising because of the success that Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen have had in the draft since arriving in Washington.

Do you realize that we have 5 incumbent safeties on the team with some kind of experience? The answer at both saftey positions may certainly come within this year.

1. Bernstine
2. Doughty
3. Gomes
4. Meriweather
5. Pugh

The Redskins have Bernstine, the wild card, who was very promising last summer but had a horrible knee injury where he tore his ACL, MCL and PCL. If he can return though and just be on the practice squad or PUP it sheds some light on our future because many believe he has the talent to be a starter, he's been compared to Bob Sanders.

Then, the Redskins have mr reliable in the run game and special teams Reed Doughty who is almost guarenteed a spot this year as a reserve for his leadership and sound reserve play. Whenever called upon all he does is come in the game and become the teams best tackler. While not an ideal scenario, a situation could occur where Doughty starts at SS and Meriweather starts at FS and our safety play is better than last year because Madieu Williams won't be back there. Meriweather has better range and he's a heavy hitter which will scare wide receivers and tight ends because they think Meriweather will knock them out as a free safety. This situation is not ideal, but its not the worst either. Think 2007 and after Sean 's death and then again in 2009 when the Redskins safety tandem was equivalent to what Meriweather and Doughty would be for us. The Redskins had Landry and Doughty, anyways, it could certainly be worse.

After the veterans, the Redskins have two young vets on our roster in DeJon Gomes and Jordan Pugh who've both flashed signs of taking the next step in their young careers but they haven't remained consistent enough to warrant starting jobs yet. Gomes in only 23 and going into his 3rd year already and Pugh played well at times as a FS last year and is 25. Either safety could take the next step this year and finally get it and become a starter at either safety position.

At cb the Redskins do have some talent, but they also have question marks. A lot of redskins fans don't know this because he doesn't make many interceptions but very quietly Josh Wilson has been a very good cb in the league the last 4 years. He's been far better in coverage than what DHall as been, he's not the ball hawk Hall is but he's much more consistent in coverage. Some like to talk about his small stature but in reality he's only an inch shorter than Hall. Think of Wilson as a poor mans Darell Green, sound in coverage, gets interceptions off of having sound coverage, not by gambling, therefore he won't have high interception numbers and he's not the worlds best tackler.

After Wilson we have Richard Crawford a 7th round pick who the coaching staff and fans alike love his potential. He played well last preseason and down the stretch the last month of the season, even having a key int of Romo in our big win vs Dallas, but of course everyone was picking off romo that game... Lol. Crawford win the starting job this summer, although far fetched.

After those two the redskins talent at corner back gets really sketchy. There are a few players with a lot of talent but either have injury concerns like Chase Minifield or have been widely inconsistent after being a 3rd pick of the rams but still have talent like Jerome Murphy. Minifield looked like our best DB last spring after we took him undrafted out of Virginia. He had come back string from Microfracture surgery which made him go Undrafred after it was thought he could be drafted as high as round 2 but an unfortunate accident where he was stepped on the final day of the final minicamp left him with a torn acl and out for the year. He had the same injury as RG3 and it also was his 2nd time tearing the same acl so he is going through the exact same knee rehab. Though his twitter account and a few articles he his well in his way to a full recovery and should be ready for the preseason. If he can be healthy that could be another wild card and a promising thing for our secondary just like Bernstine's possible return. Both guys have starting talent they just had unfortunate injuries in their rookie years.

The redskins seem intrigued by Jerome murphy as well, he's flashed some potential in his first 3 years. So, it's quite possible he finally "gets it" this offseason and season like we hope that our young safties Justin Pugh and DeJon Gomes do.

The Redskins are in luck in this years draft because from round 2 throughout it is loaded with DB talent that many believe can come in and contribute right away. Right now there is a strong possibility we find our staring CB or FS in round two of the draft and that player just learns as a rookie on the fly. Worst things can happen, like having to rely on Reed Doughty or Madieu Williams at FS.

By most scouts and draft experts the list of Free Safety targets are as follows:

1. Eric Reid, LSU

2. Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International

2. Matt Elam, Florida (debate over whether he can play FS, I've seen tape and convinced by a great break down by a Florida fan that he can play FS or at the least can be a better option than what Doughty and Gomes have shown at FS)

3. Phillip Thomas, Fresno State

4. Bicarri Rambo, Georgia

5. DJ Swearinger, South Carolina

6. Duke Williams, Nevada

7. Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma

8. Earl Wolf, NC State

9. Josh Evans, Florida

10. Rashard Hall, Clemson

11. Prentiss Waggner, CB/S, Tennessee

12. Jarred Holley, S, Pittsburgh

13. Javon Harris, S, Oklahoma

14. Vaughn Telemaque, FS, Miami

Also, lets not forget about the many SS candidates the redskins could draft this year. The best option for the Redskins may be to hope one of two SS prospects go undrafted. Both flashed a lot of potential through their college careers but couldn't stay healthy (Kenny Tate) or had an off the field issue (Ray Ray Armstrong). Either of these guys would be steals i the late rounds or as undrafted free agents. Either could come in and end up being a better version of our 09 7th round rookie surprise Chris Hortin because both are better in coverage than Horton. Especially Kenny Tate who had his best year in college Park at FS before Edsall moved him to a rover type LB but he spent the last two years of his college career recovering from a knee injury. If not for that knee injury and Armstrong's suspension, we would have heard both guys names called on the second day of this years draft. These two could be big time steals in the late rounds or as undrafted free agents.

Then at CB we have the following possibilities from the second round on for the redskins.

1. Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
2. Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State
3. Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Conneticut
4. David Amerson, CB, N.C. State
5. Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
6. Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
7. Robert Alford, CB, Southeast Louisiana
8. Will Davis, CB, Utah State
9. Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State
10. Dwayne Gratz, CB, Connecticut
11. Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois
12. Tharold Simon, CB, LSU
13. Josh Johnson, CB, Purdue
14. BW Webb, CB, William & Mary
15. Tod Sweating, CB, Georgia Tech
16. Sanders, Commings, CB, Georgia
17. Demontre Hurst, cb, Oklahoma
18. Michael Hyde, cb, Iowa
19. Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
20. Nigel Malone, Kansas State

Lastly, as far as possible returning talent and last resort measures 3 moves could be made on the cheap some time this offseason to bolster the depth or even to come back and start but none of them should be counted on. The team could certainly bring back Deangelo Hall for much cheaper if he can't find a better option and we can't find a better option as a starter. The team could always re-sign 2009 3rd round pick Kevin Barnes to be a CB or safety. Kevin flashed some in his 3 years in DC. Many thought he would be better at safety than cb and he flashed some good safety skills when being forced to start because of injury back in 2010. Bringing back Cedric Griffin to play CB or safety is also certainly an option we have. He's big and a phyisical cb and he had flashed a few moments last year that he csn still play a little bit. If Ced Griffin returned or Kevin Barnes giving them looks at FS and having them be the dime CB is the best way to go. Barnes nor Griffin are the greatest at one on one coverage but they are both physical, good tacklers and heavy hitters for corners.

Then, the redskins still own the rights to Tanard Jackson who is suspended through August but is a starter in this league at FS if drug free. Losing him and Meriweather last year killed our secondary, Madieu Williams was never expected to start, he was expected to be a reserve or not even make the team when we signed him. The Redskins front office has had to have been in some kind of contact with Tanard over the past 7 months and helped him get drug counseling or something for them to give him one more chance. Bruce Allen, Mike Shanahn, Jim Hasslet and especially Raheem Morris know his situation better than anyone. Mike Shanahan had kind words and encouraging words to say about Tanard after learning of his suspension last September. If the Redskins can get Tanard help with counseling and also make sure he's working on the proper skills to be ready for a return in September, he could be our starting 2013 free safety. It's a far fetched thought that he stays clean but miracles do happen my friends.

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 am; edited 4 times in total
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtle, its Bernstine. Not Bernstein.

I dont see him making the active roster, where if he is healthy enough to play, he might start on the PUP list.

And I dont care if we drafted Duke Williams and Earl Wolff, at least we have some youth and talent back in the secondary that will be ready to play.

But we have 5 CB's on the roster at the moment and I only trust 1. We need more talent and depth and its going to have to come from the draft.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Turtle, its Bernstine. Not Bernstein.

I dont see him making the active roster, where if he is healthy enough to play, he might start on the PUP list.

And I dont care if we drafted Duke Williams and Earl Wolff, at least we have some youth and talent back in the secondary that will be ready to play.

But we have 5 CB's on the roster at the moment and I only trust 1. We need more talent and depth and its going to have to come from the draft.
ah. Thanks. My auto correct does that on my iPhone.

Oh crap, I missed the final paragraph. Confused Embarassed

I definitely agree about needing to draft a few DBs, maybe as many as 4 but still the answer may be within my friend. Wink Cool
Marcus21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenard Jackson is the wild card. If he can play he is an upgrade. I just dont trust him at all to stay out of trouble. We really have no choice to draft a safty and 2 corners. If we bring in a guy like Huff, we will still have to draft another FS to learn and play behind him....he is 30. Crawford made improvments and Wilson was average at best. Minnifield has never played a down in the NFL.
My prediction is we bring back Hall and Griffin for this year and try and hit on a FS and a couple corners in the draft.
We really dont have any other options.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Tanard Jackson is the wild card. If he can play he is an upgrade. I just dont trust him at all to stay out of trouble. We really have no choice to draft a safty and 2 corners. If we bring in a guy like Huff, we will still have to draft another FS to learn and play behind him....he is 30. Crawford made improvments and Wilson was average at best. Minnifield has never played a down in the NFL.
My prediction is we bring back Hall and Griffin for this year and try and hit on a FS and a couple corners in the draft.
We really dont have any other options.
We'll if we sign Lynch, Rhodes or Huff; Bruce, Mike, Jim and Raheem might feel that Pugh or Gomes can be the reserve FS, so I could see them pasing on one. Not that it's the ideal choice, but I could see that happening and I totally agree about Jackson he's the wildest of wild cards.

Can he stay clean? and in shape? Has the team been in some kind of contact with him since he was suspended to help him through this process, possibly gotten him to go into rehab and have they made sure he's getting a football trainer ala the Draft Prospects so he stays in football shape?

These are all questions I'd like to know and I have to believe that they've done something like this because Bruce Drafted him , Mike said Good words about him even after he was suspended and Raheem knows him as well as anyone in the league because he was his position coach and head coach in TB sice Tanard was drafted. If anyone can help him get clean and back to a productive career, it's those three.

I definitely could see us bringing Hall and Griffin back but I don't think it will be before the draft.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Redskins cap penalty has prevented huge free agent moves but like Slateman has said before, it could be a blessing in disguise for many reasons. The biggest benefit for me is the Redskins are forced to build with in-house guys and develop their young talent.

Jordan Bernstine is a name that continues to generate buzz around Redskins park. Jordan was drafted out of Iowa in the 7th round by the Redskins in last years NFL Draft. He has explosive speed, is hard hitting and because of this he became a standout in last years training camp both on the defensive side of the ball and as a return guy for the special teams unit, and was flying up the depth charts literally. Coaches, including Defensive Backs Coach Raheem Morris, were referring to Jordan as the next Bob Sanders.

He had a great pre-season in 2012, and made the final roster when Meriweather hurt his knee. He even had an interception in the last pre-season game. Coaches were certain they had a good looking young backup safety going into the season, but in the season opener against New Orleans the disastrous injury bug hit. He took a bad angle on a special teams play and ended up tearing his ACL, MCL & PCL and was forced to have season ending knee surgery.

Normally this type of injury is a career ender. With the Redskins on the final year of a 36 million dollar cap penalty put on them by the NFL this meant that the Redskins training staff took Jordanís injury seriously and worked with him non stop to get him back to 100% for the upcoming 2013 season knowing that the Redskins would need as much depth as possible at that position.

The hard work and dedication of Bernstine and the Redskins training staff got him healthy and he was already back to running on the field close to that 4.43 forty speed he showed in last years pro day. Like Minifield, Bernstine got a full year of NFL coaching sitting in on video sessions with coaches and getting a full dose of what it is to prepare yourself week in and week out. He is young, hungry, healthy and most importantly prepared to make an impact in 2013.

If Bernstine and Minifield can return and stay healthy this summer, they could prove to be long term answers at CB and one of the safety spots. Remember what I said before, most of the DB starters in the NFL were late round picks or undrafted free agents, not high draft picks. These two could turn out to be great finds.
brandonb2005

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
The Redskins cap penalty has prevented huge free agent moves but like Slateman has said before, it could be a blessing in disguise for many reasons. The biggest benefit for me is the Redskins are forced to build with in-house guys and develop their young talent.

Jordan Bernstine is a name that continues to generate buzz around Redskins park. Jordan was drafted out of Iowa in the 7th round by the Redskins in last years NFL Draft. He has explosive speed, is hard hitting and because of this he became a standout in last years training camp both on the defensive side of the ball and as a return guy for the special teams unit, and was flying up the depth charts literally. Coaches, including Defensive Backs Coach Raheem Morris, were referring to Jordan as the next Bob Sanders.

He had a great pre-season in 2012, and made the final roster when Meriweather hurt his knee. He even had an interception in the last pre-season game. Coaches were certain they had a good looking young backup safety going into the season, but in the season opener against New Orleans the disastrous injury bug hit. He took a bad angle on a special teams play and ended up tearing his ACL, MCL & PCL and was forced to have season ending knee surgery.

Normally this type of injury is a career ender. With the Redskins on the final year of a 36 million dollar cap penalty put on them by the NFL this meant that the Redskins training staff took Jordanís injury seriously and worked with him non stop to get him back to 100% for the upcoming 2013 season knowing that the Redskins would need as much depth as possible at that position.

The hard work and dedication of Bernstine and the Redskins training staff got him healthy and he was already back to running on the field close to that 4.43 forty speed he showed in last years pro day. Like Minifield, Bernstine got a full year of NFL coaching sitting in on video sessions with coaches and getting a full dose of what it is to prepare yourself week in and week out. He is young, hungry, healthy and most importantly prepared to make an impact in 2013.

If Bernstine and Minifield can return and stay healthy this summer, they could prove to be long term answers at CB and one of the safety spots. Remember what I said before, most of the DB starters in the NFL were late round picks or undrafted free agents, not high draft picks. These two could turn out to be great finds.

Agreed with everything you said!

If Jordan isnt ready to go put him on the PUP list. Jordan and Chase have a ton of potential "IF" both can stay healthy.

Merriweather is a lock to start at on of the safety positions, and D.Hall and Wilson will be back at corner. I wouldnt mind drafting a young safety in the second to learn under Merriweather for the last year of his deal and then pairing him with Jordan next year.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandonb2005 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Agreed with everything you said!

If Jordan isnt ready to go put him on the PUP list. Jordan and Chase have a ton of potential "IF" both can stay healthy.

Merriweather is a lock to start at on of the safety positions, and D.Hall and Wilson will be back at corner. I wouldnt mind drafting a young safety in the second to learn under Merriweather for the last year of his deal and then pairing him with Jordan next year.
Another Jordan is also a guy who could shock us next year. Jordan Pugh is my dark horse candidate to be our opening day starter at FS.

Pugh was a reserve for a few years in Carolina and then we signed him when both Meriweather and Bernstine hurt their knees. Pugh got spot duty last year as he learned and transitioned into our defense. From what I saw of Pugh when he was asked to play FS for us, he did so pretty well. I think he has the strongest chance to start there of any of our current safeties next year. He will benefit from having the offseason to learn more from our coaching staff and get reps all spring and summer long. He'll be going into his 4th year in the NFL and at 25 is just hitting his prime as a player. So, Pugh is actually my favorite for the FS spot right now.

Pugh is no slouch himselft at 5'11, 210 lbs and running a 4.48 forty yard dash. He has the skills to be the answer for us long term at FS also.

Who knows, our future starting safety tandem could be the Jordan & Jordan Lawfirm! Laughing Cool Wink
markrc99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taken by the title of the thread, as I believe the team has more pressing needs. Week after week what we saw wasn't players who couldn't compete, but rather, simply didn't. They kept getting caught sitting, expecting routes to break. Over aggressive play, blown coverages, poor communication. Some of it was scheme related. Defenders were dropping into coverage, not covering anybody while a mismatch or overload was unfolding on some other part of the field. Issues that could easily be resolved & eventually, the back end started playing better.

What is not easily resolved and won't be by drafting new DBs, is the fact that the back end was repeatedly asked to support the front end. They were often seen rolling up to support the run & the short zone. You can have a billion dollar secondary... won't change what's absolutely critical, which is a formidable pass-rush. The two players that are definite liabilities in coverage are Reed Doughty & London Fletcher. Both are favorites with fans, so their weaknesses are ignored. In multi-rec'r sets, both should be on the bench watching. Before moving on to the defensive front, I'll add that it seems likely the team will target a DB early. A blog on the team's official site suggests the team is eyeing Darius Slay.

Up front, this unit only produced 32 sacks, which ranked 23rd in the league. It's important to consider that much of that was the product of constant blitzing. When you have to blitz to apply the necessary pressure, guess what you're sacrificing to do it? That's right, your coverage. See, what's ideal is the exact opposite. You want your front four to overwhelm the OL, forcing the offense to commit more bodies to keep the QB protected. I suppose the belief is that with the return of Orakpo, the problem will be solved. Perhaps it will. Thing is, all those guys inside give them next to nothing! The DEs are especially feeble. Carriker, Bowen, Golston & Jenkins produced one sack between them. I hold out hope for Jenkins, but the group on a whole are primarily run stoppers. Over the ball, Cofield is productive, but again, the unit badly needs help.

I am aware that the team brought in Ron Brace from the patriots, a former 2nd RD selection. Fortunately, this class is deep at DT, while DE & OLB may be as well. It doesn't matter what type of system the player is familiar with. What's important to the Redskins is that the player can consistently apply pressure through contact. A traditional DE who's primarily an edge rusher is not a good fit, except for the fact that the team would be adding depth behind Orakpo & Kerrigan. I can see that happening in the later rds, perhaps selecting a Cornelius Washington, Brandon Jenkins or a Tank Carradine. At 51, if a Datone Jones is still on the board, to my mind, I think they'll draft him.

More likely are DTs like Brandon & Sylvester Williams. Both can collapse the pocket through contact. Either guy would instantly upgrade the Redskins interior pass rush. It's possible that one or both are a bit of a reach at 51. It's not clear how long Margus Hunt will be available. He's risky though. The team also needs a change-of-pace RB & if a Andre Ellington is still there, I think he's a player they'll take. They may however hope that Roy Helu fills that role. A quality OT is another possibility. Another late rd prospect is Florida St. DT Everett Dawkins. Again, here's a guy that would immediately upgrade the interior pressure.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2011 when Orakpo and Carriker were healthy all year the DL provided 18 sacks between 5 guys and that was w/o Jarvis Jenkins. This prouduction is good for a 3-4 DL, which primary responsibility in the run and pass game is holding up blockers and allowing the linebackers to run freely to the Qb or ball carrier.

2011 sack stats from DL:

Bowen- 6
Carriker- 5.5
Cofield- 3.0
Neild- 2.0
Golston- 1.5
markrc99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote: "In 2011 when Orakpo and Carriker were healthy all year the DL provided 18 sacks between 5 guys and that was w/o Jarvis Jenkins. This prouduction is good for a 3-4 DL, which primary responsibility in the run and pass game is holding up blockers and allowing the linebackers to run freely to the Qb or ball carrier."

I think all of that supports my argument all the more. If nothing else your comment proves the desperate need for depth! We can believe those guys on that list made Brian Orakpo. The reality however, is that he made them! Implying, however remotely, that Adam Carriker is somebody they rely on to pressure the QB is laughable. Those 5.5 sacks he produced in 2011 is more than half of his career total. And apart from those sacks, guess how many other tackles he had for losses.? I'll give you a hint, the number begins with the letter Z! The Rams drafted him in the 1st rd and wanted him to be a 3-technique, up the field pass rusher. We see how that turned out. He ran a 4.7 40 back then. What do you think he's going to time out at in minicamp? He's injury-prone. Well, what does he give them? He's 6'6", he can bat balls down. He's big and strong, he can push and help collapse the pocket. When the QB is flushed his way, he has the strength to shed that block and make a play! That's besides anchoring the run! He was a good acquisition. But he can't give you that explosion, that up the field, quick penetration that they really need up inside.

I mean, what happened to the defense? They lost their premiere pass-rusher is what! He's coming back, but wouldn't be wise to get him some real help? You hear it all the time when they talk about RG3. Oh, they've got to surround him with some weapons! See? Brian Orakpo could use some help too. Surround him with players that are good whether he's there or not! Again, this is very deep class along the DL. Do you understand what that means? Some of this pool is coming off the board right away & other teams are filling that need. But guess what? Even after those initial players are gone there are still going to be very good players available in the later RDs!

I named two groups of potential. One are along the DL and the other are players that provide depth behind Orakpo & Kerrigan. Don't be surprised if the Redskins draft one of each. I know most of what's said is that the team is going for DBs early. At safety, I do like D.J. Swearinger & Robert Lester. Slay looks good, but he's a bit slight. According to my material, he'd be a reach at 51. Both of those safeties can be had later. I know people are high on Xavier Rhodes & why not, his measurables are awesome. He's out early & isn't ready to be that impact cover specialist but by the time 2014 rolls around, he may very well be. Amerson is likely to still be on the board. Has the 'tude you gotta have. Wants to play across every team's z-slot rec'r. To me, if neither man is there at 51, you've got to go in another direction.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to study other 3-4 DLs in the NFL. If you do, you will realize that very rarely does a 3-4 DL get above 5 sacks. They don't apply much pressure on the QB. That is left up to the OLbs.

When Orakpo is healthy we have one of the best young duo's in the league.

I mean, have you forgotten about Ryan Kerrigan?

Have you forgotten about Rob Jackson? Who was forced to start for the 1st time in his career and provided some pass rush, played well in pass coverage and many believe was better than Orakpo vs the run and Pass coverage?

You can not afford to put all pro bowlers along your DL and LB core. What we currently have, if healthy, is one of the best starting units in the NFL and we have a good mixture of veteran and youth behind them.

I'm not really sure what more you could ask for.

Our problems on this team last year were clearly:

1. injuries and suspensions
2. Lack of depth in the secondary because that's the last positon group Shanahn has focused on to upgrade on our team.

If we get healthy at Qb, WR, TE, RB, Safety and along the front 7 of our D and we stay that way our team will be better than last years division winning team.

You can complain all you want that we don't have 5 sack guys at every DL positon but the truth is, neither does another team in the NFL and you can't afford to do that. You must spread your cap $ around so that all parts of your team are better than average, not just one great unit a few good ones and some poor ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: