Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hypothetical situation: Ben suddenly retires
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Troofax


Joined: 28 Jan 2013
Posts: 252
Location: NW US
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tease me. What do I do? Get drunk probably, there won't be a tear shed for that jacka$$...Good riddance, now can our next QB be a little bit smarter than a rock please?

The sooner, the better. Ben will never get it. He's been giving chance after chance, but he's still all about Ben and F everyone else. Last year was his year to step up and make it his team. He did the exact opposite. We aren't strong enough on defense anymore to make up for his mental limitations anymore...

We are blowing it half way up anyways, blow it all up I say. Including Tomlin and Ben.
_________________
Mini-mock
1.Tyler Eiffert TE Notre Dame
2. Eric Reid S LSU
3. Robert Woods WR USC
4. Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA

That's all I got, will fill in the rest later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11975
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troofax wrote:
Don't tease me. What do I do? Get drunk probably, there won't be a tear shed for that jacka$$...Good riddance, now can our next QB be a little bit smarter than a rock please?

The sooner, the better. Ben will never get it. He's been giving chance after chance, but he's still all about Ben and F everyone else. Last year was his year to step up and make it his team. He did the exact opposite. We aren't strong enough on defense anymore to make up for his mental limitations anymore...

We are blowing it half way up anyways, blow it all up I say. Including Tomlin and Ben.



Same QB that brought 2 SBs wins after nearly 3 decades with out one and 1 loss along the way. If that guy is a bag of rocks they must be diamonds.

Tomlin can't win for losing so I'm not gonna touch that part.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 35101
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troofax wrote:
Don't tease me. What do I do? Get drunk probably, there won't be a tear shed for that jacka$$...Good riddance, now can our next QB be a little bit smarter than a rock please?

The sooner, the better. Ben will never get it. He's been giving chance after chance, but he's still all about Ben and F everyone else. Last year was his year to step up and make it his team. He did the exact opposite. We aren't strong enough on defense anymore to make up for his mental limitations anymore...

We are blowing it half way up anyways, blow it all up I say. Including Tomlin and Ben.


... The same QB who was being talked about as MVP consideration (until injury) and brought your team to three Super Bowls already? (Winning two)

Yeah, that sounds like a guy who will never get it. Sounds like to me that it is you, who will never get it.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 35101
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. and wait just a minute here Trollfax....

How is it all about Ben? Was it all about Ben when we let Plexico walk in his prime? Was it all about Ben when he's never had the same consistent starting running back for more than 2 years in a row? Was it when they have repeatedly ignored his request to be given a legitimate tall WR? Was it when they let WR after WR walk from his presence? Was it the time where they ignorantly fired one of his best friends and mentors, who ran an offense Ben liked, and replaced him with a coordinator who changed the scheme to strangle hold the best abilities of Ben? Or was it the part where they waited until after several straight years of 50+ sacks on him that they finally decided to do something about his severe lack of protection?

Does that sound like an organization who makes it all about their QB?

I'd love to know how he blew it last year. Our defense gave up several 4th quarter leads. Leads that Ben gave us.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrisororke


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 518
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypothetical situation: Ben suddenly retires Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
While looking over all the "sky is falling" posts, I got to thinking of some scenarios in which those type of posts might actually be warranted.

One such scenario was Ben retiring. Ben is unhappy in the new offense, and over the last 2 seasons has lost Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, and his BFF's Willie Colon and Bruce Arinas. On top of that, he realizes that he wants to preserve his health for his family as he gets older, and suddenly, decided to announce his retirement.

So, now, with no money to spend, a generally weak QB class, and a ton of other needs, we are without a starting caliber QB.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Do you attempt to make a play for Geno Smith?

Do you look at QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

Do you attempt to trade for a QB?

Do you start Gradkowski and look at QBs next year (since we would likely finish with a top 5-10 pick?


Personally, Id keep Gradkowski this year and draft a QB in the mid to late rounds.

Then, next season, hope we finish with a pick that puts us in position to get Clowney or another high impact player, or just see whats on the board in the first or 2nd round at QB.

If we lost Ben, we would be in full blown rebuild mode at that point. While I hate losing, I think a few seasons finishing with some higher picks could put us in position to load up on impact players. Its not ideal, but you need impact players to win, and thats been the biggest problem IMO with our drafting. We are getting some solid players, but nothing to replace impact players we once had.

So, its your turn...what do you do?


You do nothing because this is the most asinine statement I have ever heard. He is a free agent in 2016 so that would be the earliest he would possibly be gone. Like this isn't Pat Tillman walking away from the game for a noble cause. Ben wants you to show me the money. If they brought an entire team full of D-III guys Ben would still play, complain, and get his 15M

As for the sky falling, it already fell brother and you're too dumb, proud , or naive to see it. This is the worst team the Steelers have had since ohh probably 1999-2000. Like I am going to hate to have to rub it in your face bc I am losing when it happens but I will most definitely tell you told you so bc I will get satisfaction as your Jim Jones followers on here sipping the kool aid will see that their fearless leader wasn't too bright. Lights out on the Steelers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chrisororke


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 518
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben would be traded before he retires. If AZ offered 2014 1st, 2014 3rd, 2015 1st next offseason. Wow would that be a tough decision. I would probably take the deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50753
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypothetical situation: Ben suddenly retires Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
You do nothing because this is the most asinine statement I have ever heard. He is a free agent in 2016 so that would be the earliest he would possibly be gone. Like this isn't Pat Tillman walking away from the game for a noble cause. Ben wants you to show me the money. If they brought an entire team full of D-III guys Ben would still play, complain, and get his 15M


You apparently arent smart enough to grasp the concept of a hypothetical question....so Im not even going to waste my time with you.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 465
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would not be the year to try to reload QB imo. I'd consider EJ Manuel if he was still available in the 3rd. Otherwise, I would reload every other postition to the best of our ability, start Gradkowski or another FA aquistion then trade up to get our next franchise QB next year if there is one we deemed worthy. Otherwise stay with a stop-gap until we found a guy we wanted and then do whatever necessary to trade up and get him. I remember every one of the 20 years between Bradshaw & Ben, it was painful. That missing piece kept us from getting over the top. With another franchise quality QB (Marino?), we probably would have won another 1-3 rings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Le-Morte-dJames


Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ben suddenly retired... Umm yeah can't trade him. And if Arizona did their fans would riot and burn the stadium... Then the legends of the Phoenix would truly be tested
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7442
Location: The playoffs start now, PA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypothetical situation: Ben suddenly retires Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
While looking over all the "sky is falling" posts, I got to thinking of some scenarios in which those type of posts might actually be warranted.

One such scenario was Ben retiring. Ben is unhappy in the new offense, and over the last 2 seasons has lost Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, and his BFF's Willie Colon and Bruce Arinas. On top of that, he realizes that he wants to preserve his health for his family as he gets older, and suddenly, decided to announce his retirement.

So, now, with no money to spend, a generally weak QB class, and a ton of other needs, we are without a starting caliber QB.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Do you attempt to make a play for Geno Smith?

Do you look at QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

Do you attempt to trade for a QB?

Do you start Gradkowski and look at QBs next year (since we would likely finish with a top 5-10 pick?


Personally, Id keep Gradkowski this year and draft a QB in the mid to late rounds.

Then, next season, hope we finish with a pick that puts us in position to get Clowney or another high impact player, or just see whats on the board in the first or 2nd round at QB.

If we lost Ben, we would be in full blown rebuild mode at that point. While I hate losing, I think a few seasons finishing with some higher picks could put us in position to load up on impact players. Its not ideal, but you need impact players to win, and thats been the biggest problem IMO with our drafting. We are getting some solid players, but nothing to replace impact players we once had.

So, its your turn...what do you do?


You do nothing because this is the most asinine statement I have ever heard. He is a free agent in 2016 so that would be the earliest he would possibly be gone. Like this isn't Pat Tillman walking away from the game for a noble cause. Ben wants you to show me the money. If they brought an entire team full of D-III guys Ben would still play, complain, and get his 15M

As for the sky falling, it already fell brother and you're too dumb, proud , or naive to see it. This is the worst team the Steelers have had since ohh probably 1999-2000. Like I am going to hate to have to rub it in your face bc I am losing when it happens but I will most definitely tell you told you so bc I will get satisfaction as your Jim Jones followers on here sipping the kool aid will see that their fearless leader wasn't too bright. Lights out on the Steelers


Oh the irony of you calling someone dumb. Laughing Seriously, I can't stop laughing right now. Here's a little advice Mr. Know-it-all, go buy a dictionary and look up the word HYPOTHETICAL. After that then tell me who is the one that made the asinine statement.

As for the second bolded part I have no idea what you are trying to say. I'm sure someone will be able to decipher what the hell you just wrote. The only thing I got out of that gibberish is that you are rubbing Jim Jones' face with bright kool aid because you are losing your satisfaction with fearless leaders. Am I at least in the neighborhood? Confused Actually don't answer, reading your constant nonsense is beyond exhausting.
_________________


^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7442
Location: The playoffs start now, PA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troofax wrote:
Don't tease me. What do I do? Get drunk probably, there won't be a tear shed for that jacka$$...Good riddance, now can our next QB be a little bit smarter than a rock please?

The sooner, the better. Ben will never get it. He's been giving chance after chance, but he's still all about Ben and F everyone else. Last year was his year to step up and make it his team. He did the exact opposite. We aren't strong enough on defense anymore to make up for his mental limitations anymore...

We are blowing it half way up anyways, blow it all up I say. Including Tomlin and Ben.


And maybe the next quarterback can be less talented and less successful too. Confused
_________________


^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stillersenat


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 11245
Location: In over my head.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hypothetical situation: Ben suddenly retires Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:

As for the sky falling, it already fell brother and you're too dumb, proud , or naive to see it.


Please refrain from making personal attacks. Attack the post not the poster.
_________________


CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
armsteeld


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 3765
Location: In your head
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post. I would first give Ben the option of coming out of retirement so I could trade him. If not a go there, I would draft Arizona QB Matt Scott in the 3rd round.
_________________




"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 25196
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow 43...

This thread had dumb rants from Troo and Chris written all over it.

And they did not disappoint.

Truly ridiculous those two.
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ward4HOF


Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 4178
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Interesting post. I would first give Ben the option of coming out of retirement so I could trade him. If not a go there, I would draft Arizona QB Matt Scott in the 3rd round.


Matt Scott would be the QB I'd target as well...

...then I'd call Brett Favre! Very Happy

Seriously, the team would probably bring in Fitzpatrick, Kolb, and Campbell in for workouts and take the best of the bunch...OR

Maybe consider trading a draft pick for TJ Yates, Orton, Foles, or Flynn...OR

Give a contract to RFA Brian Hoyer and give up a 2nd Rd pick.
_________________


Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!

C0LTSFAN4L1F3 wrote:
Sorry bud but the winning has nothing to do with the QBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group