Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hypothetical situation: Ben suddenly retires
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Hypothetical situation: Ben suddenly retires Reply with quote

While looking over all the "sky is falling" posts, I got to thinking of some scenarios in which those type of posts might actually be warranted.

One such scenario was Ben retiring. Ben is unhappy in the new offense, and over the last 2 seasons has lost Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, and his BFF's Willie Colon and Bruce Arinas. On top of that, he realizes that he wants to preserve his health for his family as he gets older, and suddenly, decided to announce his retirement.

So, now, with no money to spend, a generally weak QB class, and a ton of other needs, we are without a starting caliber QB.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Do you attempt to make a play for Geno Smith?

Do you look at QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

Do you attempt to trade for a QB?

Do you start Gradkowski and look at QBs next year (since we would likely finish with a top 5-10 pick?

Personally, Id keep Gradkowski this year and draft a QB in the mid to late rounds.

Then, next season, hope we finish with a pick that puts us in position to get Clowney or another high impact player, or just see whats on the board in the first or 2nd round at QB.

If we lost Ben, we would be in full blown rebuild mode at that point. While I hate losing, I think a few seasons finishing with some higher picks could put us in position to load up on impact players. Its not ideal, but you need impact players to win, and thats been the biggest problem IMO with our drafting. We are getting some solid players, but nothing to replace impact players we once had.

So, its your turn...what do you do?

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record...and since I know a few people will likely suggest it....I personally am not in favor of taking EJ Manuel in the 2nd round. I personally dont trust in his developing into a quality QB over the next 3 years.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft Geno Smith. If miss out on him, draft EJ Manuel in the 2nd round. No point wasting a season with veterans with Gradkowski starting at QB. At least it'd give a rookie a year of experience. Either that, or trade for a veteran QB. Heck, maybe even Foles.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Draft Geno Smith. If miss out on him, draft EJ Manuel in the 2nd round. No point wasting a season with veterans with Gradkowski starting at QB. At least it'd give a rookie a year of experience. Either that, or trade for a veteran QB. Heck, maybe even Foles.

We would likely have to trade up to land Smith.

If he was there at 17, Id be for it. He wont be.

And while I like him, he isnt worth giving up high future picks for. He is not even close to an elite prospect.

simonwayne wrote:
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going for a QB in this draft... Draft as you were going to and go with Gradkowski or make a deal to get your hands on Ryan Mallett.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty much with your Geno start scenario and draft a mid rounder like Dysert.

If Logan THomas gets his stuff together he could be the real deal. Has all the tools.

I like EJ Manuel, but not for us. Just dont. I could see him being successful elsewhere thought Philly, even KC etc.

Geno is not the answer. Pro days are great and all but it doesnt include one key thing. Geno struggles with pressure in his face. This years class in general is timid in the pocket. Similar to Blaine Gabbert timid, the difference between last years class and most was just that, amazingly almost all of those guys stood tall in the pocket. Especially Griffin.

I saw one throw that showed me Geno will survive that struggle and it was a throw that few would take notice to but it was a positive sign out of many discouraging ones. There will be much better options next year.

Tyler Wilson used to have it but he took so many beatings hanging in there I think it at least temporarily broke his will. Perhaps if he had a coach and a team he felt willing to fight for again he could get it back.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I'm not going for a QB in this draft... Draft as you were going to and go with Gradkowski or make a deal to get your hands on Ryan Mallett.

Yes...thats exactly what we need.

Youre my boy sc29....but unless we can get him for a 5th rounder, I hate that idea. I thought he was a solid prospect coming out, but he still had alot of issues. He is totally immobile and is painfully inconsistent. During the preseason, he has looked medicore and shown no progression. Pats fans on here try to pimp him like he deserves a high pick comp, but deep dpwn they know he isnt worth it.

On top of that, even if he did play well, I dont trust him one bit to manage success well. I realize people can change, but I wouldnt bet a top 100 pick on it, or on the fact that he will be a good QB.

Id honestly rather stick with Gradkowski than give up a 3rd for Mallett.

simonwayne wrote:
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Im pretty much with your Geno start scenario and draft a mid rounder like Dysert.

I assume you mean Bruce (Gradkowski), since you say later on in the post you dont want Geno Smith.

Quote:
If Logan THomas gets his stuff together he could be the real deal. Has all the tools.

I like EJ Manuel, but not for us. Just dont. I could see him being successful elsewhere thought Philly, even KC etc.

Geno is not the answer. Pro days are great and all but it doesnt include one key thing. Geno struggles with pressure in his face. This years class in general is timid in the pocket. Similar to Blaine Gabbert timid, the difference between last years class and most was just that, amazingly almost all of those guys stood tall in the pocket. Especially Griffin.

I saw one throw that showed me Geno will survive that struggle and it was a throw that few would take notice to but it was a positive sign out of many discouraging ones. There will be much better options next year.

Tyler Wilson used to have it but he took so many beatings hanging in there I think it at least temporarily broke his will. Perhaps if he had a coach and a team he felt willing to fight for again he could get it back.

Fair assessment. Im not really a big fan of any of those QBs. I think Geno Smith has nice upside, but I also think he has a good chance of falling flat on his face.

simonwayne wrote:
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely draft a RB and TE as they would be the new QBs biggest asset. I'd run the ball at least 55% of time and keep things simple on offense. I wouldn't over draft or wasted picks on a vet. There are a few capable QBs coming in the next few drafts.

Tomlin will eventually have to go through this scenario in the next few years.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Youre my boy sc29....but unless we can get him for a 5th rounder, I hate that idea. I thought he was a solid prospect coming out, but he still had alot of issues. He is totally immobile and is painfully inconsistent. During the preseason, he has looked medicore and shown no progression. Pats fans on here try to pimp him like he deserves a high pick comp, but deep dpwn they know he isnt worth it.

On top of that, even if he did play well, I dont trust him one bit to manage success well. I realize people can change, but I wouldnt bet a top 100 pick on it, or on the fact that he will be a good QB.

About a 3rd is what I'd be most willing to offer them. However, compared to the rest of this draft; he might be your best bet. He has been learning from Brady. With his arm, anything could be made possible. My only option otherwise (in this draft) would be Landry Jones. He'd be coming into an offense that is similar to what he's been playing in all 4 years of college. He was a four year NCAA starting QB for a major school and statistically did extremely well. Given that he'll come to the NFL with a better set of receivers (not saying much right now, but it's true) he might fit in quicker than expected.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I meant Gradkowski.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landry Jones may be the worst, actually no he is the worst with pressure in this class. His pro day should look outstanding.

How did he run an offense anywhere similar to ours? More like Oregon.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

About a 3rd is what I'd be most willing to offer them. However, compared to the rest of this draft; he might be your best bet. He has been learning from Brady. With his arm, anything could be made possible. My only option otherwise (in this draft) would be Landry Jones. He'd be coming into an offense that is similar to what he's been playing in all 4 years of college. He was a four year NCAA starting QB for a major school and statistically did extremely well. Given that he'll come to the NFL with a better set of receivers (not saying much right now, but it's true) he might fit in quicker than expected.

Have you seen Mallett in the preseason? Not pretty.

Thats not the be all end all, but he was drafted in the 3rd, and his stock has only gone down based on what he has shown.

Outside of arm strnegth, at this point, nothing impresses me about him. And with our OLine, how long do you think he lasts back there? Some argue that Ben holds the ball for too long, but Mallett gets trigger happy after being hit and forces passes. At least Ben could shake off getting hit and continue playing well, or escape a hit and make a big play.

Mallett needs a top notch OLine and alot of coaching....and even then his chances of success are iffy.

simonwayne wrote:
Le-Morte-dJames

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would draft Manuel if I could get him in the 2nd or 3rd and bring Batch back.
Start Batch and see if you can get a year out of him while Gradkowski backs up and Manuel learns the pro game.

Regardless of who starts we won't be a good team and probably finish top 10 draft pick wise the next year. If the staff feels Manuel is developing and can be a quality starter I stick with him, if not... 2014 should be filled with a good QB class and if we are picking top 10 (plus getting some comp picks) I would trade up for the QB we want while still having the comp picks to fill out the draft and rebuild.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't start Gradkowski at all or any other potential backup. Might as let a rookie QB that was drafted come in to start and let him play right from the beginning. Leave him in there through the thick and thin. Let him go through his growing pains right away. Teams are playing rookie QBs more and more lately. If Gradkowski was an even an average quarterback then I could see it but he isn't going to lead the team anywhere so waste a season with him anyway? I would target someone like a Wilson or a Bray and throw them into the fire right from the get-go.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: