Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Here’s a hypothetical…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Here’s a hypothetical… Reply with quote

Ok, let’s for argument sake says that the Saints eventually fill all their glaring weaknesses on defense through free agency. Let’s take a look at each position as a hypothetical…

Defensive Line:
Returning Players…
DE: Cameron Jordan
DE: Will Smith
DE/NT: Akiem Hicks
NT: Brodrick Bunkley
DE: Tom Johnson
DE/NT: Tyrunn Walker

Let’s say that the Saints feel comfortable with this group… Maybe at the most they go out and add a veteran of the 34 scheme to throw into the mix for depth but overall they feel secure in what they have up front. Now, honestly I personally feel this is a unit that can REALLY use and influx of a big time talent from the 1st round but this is a hypothetical so in that case let’s assume we add a veteran and maybe a mid-round draft choice for depth here.

Outside Linebacker:
Returning Players…
OLB: Junior Galette
OLB/ILB: Martez Wilson
ILB/OLB: David Hawthorne

This is an area where I do believe the Saints will add another player through free agency eventually. The most likely prospect is Victor Butler but keep an eye on Antwan Barnes and Shaun Phillips as well. For this hypothetical let’s assume Butler is the guy. I would believe that Galette and Butler would win the starting outside backer positions which would allow Hawthorne to kick inside to WILB full time and allow Vilma to become the teams nickel linebacker. This addition would also allow Wilson to be the teams 3rd edge pass rusher and allow Ryan to move him all over the field to create mismatches both on the inside and outside in passing situations. If a beast like Georgia’s Jarvis Jones would happen to fall to the Saints at 15, New Orleans would have to consider he strongly but in this hypothetical he doesn’t and these additions allow the Saints the ability to pass on potential bust prospects such as Mingo and Jordan even if they are available.

Inside Linebackers
Players returning…
SLB: Curtis Lofton
WLB: David Hawthorne
SLB: Chris Chamberlin
WLB: Jonathan Vilma
WLB: Martez Wilson

With the addition at OLB, the Saints now have 3 young promising edge rushers in Galette, Butler and Wilson in this hypothetical. This adds depth and versatility to the unit both inside and outside. A young player for the future would be nice here but that can be found in the later rounds of the draft.

Defensive Backs
Returning Players…
CB: Keenan Lewis (recently added)
CB: Jabari Greer
CB: Patrick Robinson
CB: Corey White
FS: Malcolm Jenkins
FS: Isa Abdul Quddus
SS: Roman Harper
SS: Rafael Bush

In this scenario of this hypothetical let’s say that regardless of what ANY of us think… Rob Ryan is sold on our safeties and feels in his scheme he can get Harper back to being one of the top SS’s in the NFL and finally get Jenkins to live up to his potential. Here he also feels good about the depth with Quddus and Bush and feels that we have shored up the corner position with the addition of Lewis to the point where we don’t have to reach for a defensive back with the 15th pick.

So, there is the hypothetical scenario and here is the question…

With free agent additions, scheme change and confidence in this group heading into the NFL draft… our Offensive minded head coach decides that this defense has improved and will look to add depth and future starters to the unit in rounds 3-6 but has made the decision that this team still lives and dies by offensive dominance…

Sean and Mickey have decided that they will select an offensive player at 15 and will not trade up or down. The draft’s top 14 picks goes as follows…

1. Chiefs: Luke Joeckel
2. Jaguars: Ezekiel Ansah
3. Raiders: Shariff Floyd
4. Eagles: Dion Jordan
5. Lions: Eric Fisher
6. Browns: Dee Milliner
7. Cardinals: Chance Warmack
8. Bills: Geno Smith
9. Jets: Jarvis Jones
10. Titans: Star Lotulelei
11. Chargers: Lane Johnson
12. Dolphins: Xavier Rhodes
13. Buccaneers: Alex Ogletree
14. Panthers: Kenny Vaccaro
15. Saints:

Put yourself in Payton’s shoes… you have no trade partner and are not sold on any defensive playmakers here. You feel you have improved your defense through free agency in the offseason but understand your team’s success is based on being an offensive powerhouse…

You have decided, you’re going offense… Make your pick!

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cordarelle in that case.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Cordarelle in that case.

I think I go Austin or Fluker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
krewebrees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to make a similar post minus all the hypothetical crap. I think the team has filled on nicely what little bit of filling we've done. Focusing on the defense we don't have any glaring holes well safety but there isn't much that can be done this offseason. We'll tough it out with the ones we have. I'm content with the team we have. Take what the draft gives you offense or defense. That being said. . .
Tavon Austin

Adopt a Saint 2013
Malcolm Jenkins: 71 tckl, 3 PDef, 2 int, 2 ff, 2.5 sck
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Cooper or D. J. Flukes

^NS922 on the sig^
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavon or Cordarelle. We already have Moore as a slot guy, and he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. Austin doesn't have great size, but he's a big play waiting to happen, and has value in the return game. Patterson has great size and speed and could give us a one-two punch similar to the one in ATL. Cordarelle might not be as polished as a returner, but he still has some return skills. With that said, I'd rank Patterson ahead of Austin.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Tavon or Cordarelle. We already have Moore as a slot guy

Colston is our slot guy. When Moore comes in he's almost always on the outside while Colston moves to the slot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we go offence in round 1 I think it will be an OT. I'm quite nervous about letting Bushrod walk and replacing him with our injury prone OTs on the roster or a 3rd rounder. Saying that, if Toon is looking like a bust then I wouldn't be too upset if we had first choice of WRs in the draft and went for one.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
If we go offence in round 1 I think it will be an OT. I'm quite nervous about letting Bushrod walk and replacing him with our injury prone OTs on the roster or a 3rd rounder. Saying that, if Toon is looking like a bust then I wouldn't be too upset if we had first choice of WRs in the draft and went for one.

IIRC, Toon was looking great in preseason and OTAs. He was running crisp routes and was catching everything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

IIRC, Toon was looking great in preseason and OTAs. He was running crisp routes and was catching everything.

If he has developed well over the course of the season then we have zero need at WR this year. Eifert could be the surprise pick at 15?
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

If he has developed well over the course of the season then we have zero need at WR this year. Eifert could be the surprise pick at 15?

I'd hate that. We could absolutely use a TE. But not at #15. Gimme Cotton in the 6th, 7th or as a UDFA, and bring back David Thomas.

Is anyone else surprised we didn't resign Thomas to a cheaper deal?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eifert wouldn't be a bad pick, but I would prefer if we traded back in the draft I would love the pick, I think we might be able to trade back for a team interested in a QB that is likely to fall, get a 2nd and future 1st for it.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: