Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers sign former Rams Safety Craig Dahl to 3-years, $5.25M
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P_locNiners

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of a more obvious sign that we are taking a Safety in the 1st round
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_locNiners wrote:
I can't think of a more obvious sign that we are taking a Safety in the 1st round

Or second. They're only 3 picks apart, after all.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Forge wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Quote:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows
Hearing Dahl's deal is 3 years for $5M with $800K to sign. That certainly doesn't preclude the team from signing Charles Woodson. However...

So, will people stop freaking out?

I don't think there's anything to freak out about anyway. Dahl is certainly talking like a guy who thinks he will get a chance to start, and who knows, maybe he will. we know that harbaugh loves competition. regardless of whether or not we sign another safety, we are drafting one relatively high, and there are several safeties available who i think can come in and start right away.

I think he will Atleast replace dashon on st.

Dashon's contribution on ST is a bit overstated... he played what? Half the year on punts? Was he even on kickoff coverage? I think Dahl will more than replace Goldson on ST.

don't think he was on ko coverage. hmm I always thought he was on the punt team all year long.

Can we get Dahl to keep his number 43? in memory of colin jones Smile

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Forge wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Quote:
Hearing Dahl's deal is 3 years for $5M with $800K to sign. That certainly doesn't preclude the team from signing Charles Woodson. However...

I don't think there's anything to freak out about anyway. Dahl is certainly talking like a guy who thinks he will get a chance to start, and who knows, maybe he will. we know that harbaugh loves competition. regardless of whether or not we sign another safety, we are drafting one relatively high, and there are several safeties available who i think can come in and start right away.

Dashon's contribution on ST is a bit overstated... he played what? Half the year on punts? Was he even on kickoff coverage? I think Dahl will more than replace Goldson on ST.

don't think he was on ko coverage. hmm I always thought he was on the punt team all year long.

Do you think we would even have noticed Goldson was on the punt coverage team, if he hadn't had that fake punt run for a first down? He didn't have that much of an impact on ST, really.

NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Forge wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Quote:

Do you think we would even have noticed Goldson was on the punt coverage team, if he hadn't had that fake punt run for a first down? He didn't have that much of an impact on ST, really.

What you said is true. the only thing that comes to my mind when thinking dashon on ST.

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing Dashon and Bowman out there on ST. I remember because they were the biggest names out there for it. I always wondered why they would be out there.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I remember seeing Dashon and Bowman out there on ST. I remember because they were the biggest names out there for it. I always wondered why they would be out there.

Biggest names?! What about Brian Jennings and Andy Lee? Wink

They put Goldson and Bowman on the unit midway through the year, after the poor performances of the special teams. I think the additions of Skuta and Dahl should restore our ST to what it was 2 years ago. Now, we need a punt returner too.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

They put Goldson and Bowman on the unit midway through the year, after the poor performances of the special teams. I think the additions of Skuta and Dahl should restore our ST to what it was 2 years ago. Now, we need a punt returner too.

Did Bowman just get put on STs midway, or was he on it all year?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Pretty sure it was midway. I remember commentators mentioning the big changes on the ST.

adamq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Bowman- 67.. 15% of ST snaps. Aldon Smith had 1 more snap
Goldson 121, 27%

McBath, Spillman, Dixon, Dobbs, Brock, Grant, Gooden, BMiller, and Tukuafu were on the field more than anyone on ST (Akers, Lee, Jennings are the next 3 on the list)

(looking at week-by-week now)

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.

Last edited by adamq on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really hard to say for sure, because the stats on ST snap counts don't differentiate between a punt and PAT. I can only compare players at similar positions. Bowman didn't play that much ST. Only 67 snaps, where has Grant and Gooden played 279 and 257 snaps. So Bowman didn't play much ST. It just stuck out more in our memory because it was unconventional. Pat Willis actually played more ST snaps (7Cool. As for Goldson, he played 121 ST snaps, compared to McBath's 307 and Spillman's 290.

49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So essentially this is an expensive and older version of colin jones? With little to no defensive potential to boot? Tremendous
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Swift21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a 800K signing bonus. That's peanuts, worst case scenario we got more much needed help on special teams.

SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a possible safety blanket, no pun intended, for Woodson. Should we sign Woodson, and I think we will, we need a guy who could step in should he get injured.

Our special teams unit faltered last year and we obviously needed some leadership there. Dahl fills that role and instantaneously improves our ST unit.

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the changes to STs happening after the bye week. I dont think the fact that we put starters in on STs or sign a guy like Dahl says anything other than our coaching staff doesnt like the depth we have....

not sure how he is going to contribute on STs, if he even makes the roster, I just think we could have easily found some rookie with more upside to fill that role with one of our many draft picks... we must be looking to trade up and swing for the fences, meaning boom or bust types (which I am ok with the vast majority of the time)

I also think this is a move that could have waited a few weeks. not as much mad about possibly missing out on woodson or aso (neither is as sure of a tackler as I would like but both are great cover guys) just disappointed we are signing the rams trash... to 3 year deals. I dont think there is very much guaranteed tho, which makes me think he will get cut. but not after he gives us the lowdown on the rams. SO im cool with this move for the most part.

I just dont think there is room for scrubs on our roster.. and dahl is a bad S

I like what I have seen from CJ spiller, Im hoping he gets a nice long look this preseason because he is a very good gunner and Ive seen him make some nice tackles when called upon. I dont think he could replace what goldson gave us but he has a chance to be a solid player

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: