Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stephen Hill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
green24 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:
green24 wrote:
I think he will eventually pan out. I don't know if he will break out this season, but he should show some signs.

Let's compare rookie seasons:

Player A: 11 G, 21 receptions, 252 yards, 3 TD
Player B: 10 G, 22 receptions, 283 yards, 2 TD

Guess who each player is.

I don't feel like looking but Demaryius Thomas?

Yes. Player A is Hill, Player B is Thomas.

Player C:
Year 1 - 8 G, 3 receptions, 59 yards
Year 2 - 16 G, 27 receptions, 453 yards, 6 TD

Drafted in the 2nd round

Vincent Jackson maybe

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
BenchSanchez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to see Hill more in the return game, but that never really happened.

He's raw like others have said, but he dropped some passes that should have been easy receptions. That doesn't sit well with me.

Hopefully he puts the work in to progress.

New York JetsRutgers Scarlet KnightsBrooklyn NetsNew York Mets
drew39k

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have pretty high expectations for the kid. He's explosive and has good size. Remember it typically takes Wrs three years to really establish themselves in the league. And we knew right off the bat that he was a raw developmental guy. To throw the guy away one year into that development is foolish.
Technically yes... BUT by laws of playoff football, The Andrew Lucks lost to the Quarterbackbowl 47 winning Joe Flaccos. Whereas the Russel Wilsons lost to the Matt Ryans, who didnt even beat the Colin Kaepernicks.
Davey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such thing as a system that marginalizes the talents of a physical marvel at wide receiver. Indeed if he doesn't get any better than he really doesn't have any place in this system, but he'd be a bit-part player in any scheme really if he doesn't begin to polish his skills.

He's not anything more or less still than what we expected coming out of college. He's got top natural ability and has the potential to develop into a threat anywhere on the field, so long as he refines his skills and learns what it is to be an NFL receiver.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seems to ignore so many nuances of the West Coast system. He's obviously a longer strider than you'd like for the system but he has two assets that are perfect for the WCO: the ability to run with the ball after the catch (YAC are incredibly important in the system) and the ability to get body position on inside routes, which he can do.

Obviously the guy needs to learn how to run routes (and read a defense, learn the option routes in the system), but I'm sick of hearing that he is (or is going to be) a bust when he hasn't even been given a chance yet.

- Cliff Burton
J!E!T!S! 4life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
People seems to ignore so many nuances of the West Coast system. He's obviously a longer strider than you'd like for the system but he has two assets that are perfect for the WCO: the ability to run with the ball after the catch (YAC are incredibly important in the system) and the ability to get body position on inside routes, which he can do.

Obviously the guy needs to learn how to run routes (and read a defense, learn the option routes in the system), but I'm sick of hearing that he is (or is going to be) a bust when he hasn't even been given a chance yet.

Couldnt have said it any better myself. The kid has played 1 season in the league with some of the worst qb play imaginable and hes already a bust? It just doesnt make sense to me. He showed some flashes of big play ability and has the physical tools but needs some time to work on the nuances of the position. With some consistent qb play I think Hill has the potential to be a great receiver.

JakeDaSnake83 on the sig
Davey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:

So true.
green24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Hill develops into the receiver that he can be, it won't matter what system we run.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's very true. I love his attitude and believe he will work hard. I was a little worried about the system for him, but a lot of yall proved some good points. He made me mad last season, but things will workout for him in the long run.
teamorange

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People had a lot of expectations for a developmental widereciever in his first year...

He also, if he played all 16 games, he would hit his draft position in the 2012 nfl draft (he was drafted like 12 and had the 12th most yards/tds).

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

jetskid007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's all said and done, you can't teach Stephen Hill's skill set. Though many of us are comparing him to Demaryius Thomas, he's much more like Mike Wallace. Wallace had the benefit of playing in Pittsburgh his first year, and Bruce Arians was the perfect coordinator to get the most out of him as he developed. Stephen Hill could've had the same rookie season Wallace had if he was used correctly, but that never happened.

Despite what people may assume about the WCO, Marty is going to throw the ball deep whenever he gets the chance. He's run the offense to the strengths of his players. Stephen Hill's strength is his speed, and you can be sure the Jets will find ways to get him the ball. Look at DeSean Jackson. He was never a great route runner, but they found ways to get him the ball. Hill still has a long way to go as a route runner, but we knew this coming in. Ultimately he's probably the most athletically gifted player we have on offense, and I think he'll be utilized that way going forward.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he improves his catching, he will be ok I think. He dropped too many balls last year. He has got supreme athletic ability, but if the kid can't catch then he won't be any use to us. He needs to catch with his hands and not arms.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 73 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT: 0
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a lot of you are acting like there are no 9-routes in a WCO.

Watch some Jerry Rice highlights, and tell me almost all of his big plays were not slants or flys.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:

Watch some Jerry Rice highlights, and tell me almost all of his big plays were not slants or flys.

Well in Martys WCO theres a ton of 9 routes, just ask DeSean Jackson. However it doesn't matter what route the guy runs or what the offense is if he drops more balls then he catches.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
mikejets22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:

Well in Martys WCO theres a ton of 9 routes, just ask DeSean Jackson. However it doesn't matter what route the guy runs or what the offense is if he drops more balls then he catches.

That right there is key. The routes and the system he can/will learn. Simplistic as it sounds he's gotta catch the ball. Kid plays with passion and wants to get better, that is clear - he'll put the necessary work in to get better this offseason and next.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: